2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Battle For BLM, Utah official plans illegal ATV ride< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 12:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A Utah San Juan county commissioner wants to build a road on BLM land for ATV use. Recapture Canyon is an important archeological site. To protest the BLM's opposition to the road, an illegal ride is being planned which is very likely to turn into another armed standoff Bundy style. Here is an article by Doug Peacock.  The Idea of Public Land Means Nothing to Utah County Commissioner

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Push the button.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, screw the rule of law, lets all just do whatever the hell we please wherever we like...
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yet the same commissioner would be upset if someone (hypothetically) did donuts in his yard.  No difference to passing motorists tossing garbage etc... on Utah roadsides. What ever happened to the law and order party?

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread belongs in the TR!
 Post Number: 7
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I simply boycott spending any money in San Juan county, UT. All services are available in Moab (Grand County), Green River (Emery County), Dove Creek, CO (Dolores County) etc. It's not much, but I feel better insuring my economic contribution to them is zilch.
 Post Number: 8
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doug Peacock is one of my outdoor heroes---check out a chapter from his book Walking It Off---

http://www.dougpeacock.net/the-bombing-range.html

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 9
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have similar here. The land that was Badger Ammo (it was the size of an entire town), just outside of Devils Lake is to be turned over to the state. The condition is that it only be used for low impact activities. They want to put in ATV trails and a shooting range. We could lose the land over this, they don't have to give it to the state.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 10
atvtuner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

???

--------------
"A land ethic, then, reflects the existence of an ecological conscience, and this in turn reflects a conviction of individual responsibility for the health of the land."

--Aldo Leopold
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(atvtuner @ May 08 2014, 3:10 pm)
???

Whoa!
Flash from the past.  Wuzzup ATV?
 Post Number: 12
atvtuner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ May 08 2014, 6:18 pm)

(atvtuner @ May 08 2014, 3:10 pm)
???

Whoa!
Flash from the past.  Wuzzup ATV?

I still enjoy pie.

--------------
"A land ethic, then, reflects the existence of an ecological conscience, and this in turn reflects a conviction of individual responsibility for the health of the land."

--Aldo Leopold
 Post Number: 13
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's like Beetlejuice. We said ATV three times and look what we got.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 14
Colter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least a half-dozen sheriff’s deputies on horses watched as protesters, including children and armed militia members from Montana, drove their ATVs past the canyon’s closure signs.

"We are here to keep the peace and safeguard the constitutional rights of everybody," said San Juan County Sheriff Rick Eldredge...Ryan Bundy, son of the Nevada rancher, joined the protest ride into Recapture Canyon.

Whose constitutional rights are being protected???

By the way, Ryan Bundy is referred to in this 1994 Park Service report... Ranger Karen Frauson identified the driver as he entered the park, notified patrol, and requested the standard entrance fee. The driver refused to pay the fee, stating that he did not recognize federal authority, and drove on....He continued out of the park until stopped by sheriff’s deputies at a roadblock about 21 miles from the point of the initial stop. Bundy was cited for numerous state and federal charges, including fleeing, interference with agency functions and failure to pay required fees. Bundy is a member of a local constitutionalist/”wise use” extremist group which has threatened land management rangers and policies in the past.  It's all about the Constitution, right?

Where is this going to stop? They closed the local BLM office in Utah Friday for fear of backlash against the Feds. As in, they are afraid someone is going to be killed if they enforce the law.

Prosecution needs to be expedited here and in the Nevada situation.

--------------
Alone Across Alaska: 1000 Miles of Wilderness
Please check out my story and photos!

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Give 'em what they want.  Nuke 'em.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice of Utah to give the middle finger to tourism / go to Colorado for real beer, water, etc... (... or New Mexico for at least real beer).

Add: this is pretty stupid considering the Feds will probably wait til they disperse and when they go back home, charge em (for a road BLM was prolly putting in anyways).

Double-add: knowing they've got about all the car-tourists who are going to show up, why mess up Eco-tourism?

--------------

Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From what I read this is an existing road the BLM closed due to off-road abuse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news....l.story

Just like hikers need to be vigilant in educating other hikers and potentially reporting illegal activity, ATV groups need to do some within their communities. Gov. and private partnerships can work together to accomplish this, but I doubt there is much care or support from this group of riders to do just that. (I am assuming here)

I take note from the article about BLM employees being threatened while they are going about their jobs.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ May 10 2014, 6:29 pm)
... Gov. and private partnerships can work together to accomplish this, but I doubt there is much care or support from this group of riders to do just that. (I am assuming here)

I take note from the article about BLM employees being threatened while they are going about their jobs.

I've only been through Blanding enroute from Cortez to Moab or canyon lands, ... Stopped a couple times at a store.  Nothing really happening in 2006-07.

Last yr car-camping buddies of mine did a week or so in the nearby manti-sal uphill from the town; the govt employees were great they tell me despite smoked out by fire last yr. With the desert drying up (and frankly one can drive anywhere with an ATV close to the cities), it's real puzzling why the locals would screw with a tourist attraction?

--------------

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ May 10 2014, 6:49 pm)
Nice of Utah to give the middle finger to tourism / go to Colorado for real beer, water, etc... (... or New Mexico for at least real beer).

Add: this is pretty stupid considering the Feds will probably wait til they disperse and when they go back home, charge em (for a road BLM was prolly putting in anyways).

Double-add: knowing they've got about all the car-tourists who are going to show up, why mess up Eco-tourism?

I'm setting up a paypal site for those that want to promote eco-tourism. All donations will be appreciated, acknowledged, and will be documented with trail reports.  :cool:

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 11 2014, 9:39 am)

(SW Mtn backpacker @ May 10 2014, 6:49 pm)
Nice of Utah to give the middle finger to tourism ...

... knowing they've got about all the car-tourists who are going to show up, why mess up Eco-tourism?

I'm setting up a paypal site for those that want to promote eco-tourism. All donations will be appreciated, acknowledged, and will be documented with trail reports.  :cool:

Well, I was actually thinking reverse donations to me, say $50 per picture of me backpacking the area, but double for any shirtless pics because ya know that issues sales would skyrocket -with paid for back wax by Backpacker mag - the entire back with the pesky area of the upper arms included.  (Hope no one reads this while eating breakfast)

--------------

Post Number: 21
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am glad I have light colored hair, in nearly every regard.  If I have any on my back, no one has told me.  Arms, chest, legs, all seem to be getting furry-er.  Head is very slowly receding, so slowly that I don't think it will be an issue for 25 more years.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 22
BackpackHNTR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least a half-dozen sheriff’s deputies on horses watched as protesters, including children and armed militia members from Montana, drove their ATVs past the canyon’s closure signs.
[U]

So how do we know those militia members are from Montana?
 Post Number: 23
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BackpackHNTR @ May 11 2014, 2:23 pm)

They are all dental floss tycoons.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's hard to find moderates in Big Sky Country. Hutterites perhaps, because everyone likes hooters.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 11 2014, 3:33 pm)
It's hard to find moderates in Big Sky Country.

Actually, there are more moderates here than you think. We just  get a bad rap from the weirdos we do have, many of whom have immigrated here from out of state - even some from Indiana :p .  Come on out and I'll show you the more sane side of the Big Sky

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 26
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder where this is all headed?  I would like to believe there is a massive arrest about to happen, with all of these self styled Militia going to prison for a couple of years.  Heck, just make it a felony conviction and take away their right to own or possess firearms.  BTW, that would mean no one in the house could possess a firearm unless it was under a lock that the felon had no access to.

People who trespass with ATVs should have them confiscated and sold.  Or ship the ATVs somewhere they can be used by LEOs.  I see this as poaching the use of the land, and it should be treated as such.  If they were carrying firearms on those ATVs, those should be confiscated and melted down.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ May 11 2014, 12:29 pm)

(BackpackHNTR @ May 11 2014, 2:23 pm)

They are all dental floss tycoons.

Ahhh..... the Zappa connection!
26 replies since May 06 2014, 12:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Battle For BLM
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions