2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Elizabeth Warren on Obama Administration< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 10:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having already read her new book I am not surprised at all be her comments and the mixed attitude she has about President Obama's administration, but it is interesting to see it in the national media.

She has the same kind of mixed reaction that many of in his support group have, just closer to the man himself and more well informed about the nuances.

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) discussed her relationship with President Barack Obama in an interview Monday with HuffPost Live, faulting his administration for being too close to big banks, but praising his support for Warren's brainchild, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

"I've made no secret about my disagreements with the administration's policies, particularly as they relate to the largest financial institutions," Warren told HuffPost Live. "Like I say in the book, the president chose his economic team, and when there was only so much time and so much money to go around, his economic team chose Wall Street instead of American families who were in trouble."

"But I also give full credit to the president," Warren continued. "If President Obama had not been in the White House, we would never have gotten the consumer agency through. He stood up for it, he fought for it, and he made sure that even when those on his own team might have been willing to throw that agency under the bus, that the consumer agency was something that stayed part of the financial reforms and stayed strong."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014....0000016

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be interesting to see how the story is reported on Faux News!

May be some good fodder for Jon Stewart.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I forget the book, but it said this and more, including that Obama threw her under the bus (by not appointing her to head this agency) along with this agency by putting under the Federal Reserve.

It pointed out that Obama choose the wrong advisers as well (probably its bigger point) and at one meeting with the big bankers who thought Obama was going to lobby for taking away their big bonuses, learn to their glee that he merely wanted some show of support or cover, while he protected them (I am your only friend he apparently said).

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 4
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 08 2014, 3:58 pm)
Be interesting to see how the story is reported on Faux News!

May be some good fodder for Jon Stewart.

She was pretty good on Jon Stewart a few weeks ago.
He did call her out on a few interesting topics, which she didn't exactly give clear answers to.

I'd like to have seen an extended interview where he pressed her for a little more info.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I forget the book, but it said this and more, including that Obama threw her under the bus (by not appointing her to head this agency) along with this agency by putting under the Federal Reserve.

That is not even close to what she said in the book!  Did you actually read it??

She spent many pages documenting the political power plays that were going on, and her agreement with the conclusion that she could never be the permanent, statutory Director of the new agency because the Republicans and the big bankers simply would not permit that to happen.  

And she fully backed her assistant who had been very involved in setting the agency up, and in making it successful after he was appointed.

The whole experience of seeing how the Republicans prevented the President from making the appointment he wanted to make was a big factor in energizing her to run for the Senate, and raise $43 Million to win the seat she now fills in replacement of Teddy Kennedy, one of her greatest allys for consumer rights.

At least get the story straight if you are going to post about A Fighting Chance.  Please

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 08 2014, 4:02 pm)

That is not even close to what she said in the book!  Did you actually read it??

She spent many pages documenting the political power plays that were going on, and her agreement with the conclusion that she could never be the permanent, statutory Director of the new agency because the Republicans and the big bankers simply would not permit that to happen.  

And she fully backed her assistant who had been very involved in setting the agency up, and in making it successful after he was appointed.

The whole experience of seeing how the Republicans prevented the President from making the appointment he wanted to make was a big factor in energizing her to run for the Senate, and raise $43 Million to win the seat she now fills in replacement of Teddy Kennedy, one of her greatest allys for consumer rights.

At least get the story straight if you are going to post about A Fighting Chance.  Please

Sorry for the confusion, but no I was not referring to her book which I have not read, or even the Huff link (until now)

This is the book I was referring to:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011....ll&_r=0

http://www.amazon.com/Confide....9NPO0JK

Use the look inside feature to read pages 4 & 5, which explains why the opposition by the Rs is only part of the story. It has been awhile since I read this book, and I don't remember if he goes into this some more else where.

EDIT:  As to why Warren doesn't say this is anyones guess, perhaps she wants to limit how hard she attacks Obama? Or maybe Sunkind got it wrong?

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you Zeke.  The post made no sense at all, just a hook for some bank to mess over some more customers.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
6 replies since May 08 2014, 10:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Elizabeth Warren on Obama Administration
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions