2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Educational, or Anti-Catholic?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 7:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An interesting exploration of minority cultures be hosting a Black Mass in Memorial Hall at Harvard.  Personally, I could care less, one mythical belief is pretty much the same as any other for my money, but I am guessing that this little "stunt" will draw a huge amount of attention and denigration from the right wing Xtians on both religious media and MSM.

See what you think:

The Archdiocese of Boston wants Harvard to put a stop to the event saying:

The Catholic community in the Archdiocese of Boston expresses its deep sadness and strong opposition to the plan to stage a “black mass” on the campus of Harvard University in Cambridge.

For the good of the Catholic faithful and all people, the Church provides clear teaching concerning Satanic worship. This activity separates people from God and the human community, it is contrary to charity and goodness, and it places participants dangerously close to destructive works of evil.

In a recent statement, Pope Francis warned of the danger of being naïve about or underestimating the power of Satan, whose evil is too often tragically present in our midst. We call upon all believers and people of good will to join us in prayer for those who are involved in this event, that they may come to appreciate the gravity of their actions, and in asking Harvard to disassociate itself from this activity.

In response to the Black Mass the archdiocese is holding a holy hour starting at 8 p.m. on Monday at St. Paul’s Church, which is also the Catholic Church at Harvard.

Harvard University says it supports the rights of students and faculty.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014....versity

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The real danger is one religion trying to stifle another.  But this wouldn't be the first time the Roman Catholic Church engaged in such behavior.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would they also protest a magician's show?  How about a Voodoo performance?  Black Mass, or a Holy Mass, it is all the same to me.  People devoutly reading from their books of faith, and having a belief that it somehow makes their day better.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never gotten this.

If the RCC wants to speak out and say this is misguided, or Satanic, or whatever, then fine. If they want to say that Catholics should not have anything to do with it, then fine.

But what gives them the right to tell Harvard that they shouldn't do it?
 Post Number: 5
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ May 10 2014, 3:20 pm)
I've never gotten this.

If the RCC wants to speak out and say this is misguided, or Satanic, or whatever, then fine. If they want to say that Catholics should not have anything to do with it, then fine.

The whole point of a church is to control people's lives by telling them what to think and do.  What's not to get?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, maybe not their entire "whole point", but many churches believe this is the only way to behave.  The entire thing about, 'If you want to get to Heaven, or not go to Hell, you must behave in such in such manner", I never got that.  Why isn't it sufficient to teach the flock how to think with their heart, and act with their conscience.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ May 10 2014, 2:29 pm)

The whole point of a church is to control people's lives by telling them what to think and do.  What's not to get?

Some people have chosen to place themselves under the spiritual authority of the Catholic Church. Harvard has not.  

There was a time, I guess, when the RCC considered everyone to be under their authority. But that time is long since past.
 Post Number: 8
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ May 10 2014, 2:20 pm)

The Catholic church is the keeper of many ancient secrets. It could be the Pope knows this black mass is a necessary step for the anti-Christ to emerge and start Armageddon. He would be remiss in his duty not to do everything in his power to prevent that from happening.

And I wholeheartedly agree. Being agnostic myself, I am sure to be Left Behind when the End Of Days come. I need more time to get with the program.

:;):

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 9
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2014, 3:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that what the RCC is telling Harvard?  The article says the RCC is asking Harvard to disassociate itself from this activity, which sounds quite a bit different than "telling Harvard that they shouldn't do it".
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2014, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a thousand years of being able to tell people what to do, it's probably hard to break the habit. I'm not sure that the LDS doesn't want to take over that role.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2014, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ May 12 2014, 2:15 am)
Is that what the RCC is telling Harvard?  The article says the RCC is asking Harvard to disassociate itself from this activity, which sounds quite a bit different than "telling Harvard that they shouldn't do it".

"Asking" and "telling" here is probably a distinction without a difference.

It really comes down to the role of institutional religion. I think that religious organizations absolutely should consider themselves, among other things, advocacy groups. They should even consider themselves prophetic, speaking truth to power, etc. Again, I have no issue with that.

What I do have an issue with is when they consider themselves agents of behavior control. If they want to advocate that individuals should choose to avoid this type of "religious" activity, more power to them. But what they're clearly trying to do here is stop it from happening at all. (And this is historically the RCC's MO in these sorts of situations.)

To me, that's an important distinction. It's the same issue I have with religious organizations lobbying for discriminatory laws, for shutting down bars and liquor stores, and so on.

I see influencing our individual choices as a legitimate role of religion. I do not see taking away our individual choices as a legitimate role of religion.
10 replies since May 09 2014, 7:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Educational, or Anti-Catholic?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions