2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Alcohol kills more people than anything else< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 7:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WHO: Over 3.3 Million Deaths Associated with Alcohol in 2012

On Monday the World Health Organization released a new report that documented worldwide alcohol consumption, including facts about alcohol dependency, diseases caused by alcohol, and alcohol-related deaths.

In 2012, over 3.3 million deaths resulted from harmful alcohol use. The WHO report, "Global status report on alcohol and health 2014," documented alcohol consumption in the 194 WHO Member States and calls on the governments to do more to prevent alcohol-related deaths.

On average, the report found that every person in the world aged 15 years or older drinks an average of 6.2 liters of alcohol per year, and the "alcohol-consuming population" (38.3% of the world) consumes an average 17 liters (per person) of alcohol annually.

article

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hopefully our occasional hostel backpacker will come by and see this.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never used MJ.  Don't want to use MJ.

But this stat is a big reason why alcohol-legal and MJ-illegal makes my head spin.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 9:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I am lucky in a way. I developed an intolerance for alcohol over the past several years, and now I rarely drink. This was not the case 20 years ago.

I am amazed at how much better I feel because of this.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MLW, what would you prefer to be the leading cause of human death??

You do realize, I assume, that none of us getting out alive, so something is going to kill everyone of us.

Is cancer better than alcohol?  How about diabetes?  Congestive heart failure? COPD?  Gunshot??  Car wreck?

Which is your choice to be the leading cause of death for human beans??

Personally I am kind of torn between alcohol poisoning and freezing.  Either one seems somewhat better than those other causes!!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a good reason to ban AR-15's.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, Scot, you are making headway!

You got the right action, but for the wrong reason.  Keep trying.   :p

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Scot @ May 13 2014, 10:11 am)
This is a good reason to ban AR-15's.

And, a good reason why gun clubs ban alcohol on the range, or before the range.  Best one enforcing this rule that I have been to had 2 people assigned to watch over the bar. No one could order a drink until their guns were locked away in their cars or trucks.  In house rule, in house enforced.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some have advocated for breathalyzer activated automobiles, perhaps the same should apply to firearms.
 Post Number: 10
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But I think we should ban AR-15's to save a few lives rather than ban alcohol to save millions of lives...

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"more people"?

Huh, not really.
 Post Number: 12
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What? Alcohol can have negative effects? Who knew?! Glad this thread was started. Now maybe people will finally pass laws against drunk driving and public intoxication.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 13 2014, 9:50 am)
"more people"?

Huh, not really.

It is when looked at from the perspective of 100% preventable simply by not using the stuff.

--------------

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wouldn't that apply to your beloved guns too?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ May 13 2014, 9:56 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 13 2014, 9:50 am)
"more people"?

Huh, not really.

It is when looked at from the perspective of 100% preventable simply by not using the stuff.

Sorry, given the incidence of lifestyle related disease that's just not accurate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_causes_of_death_by_rate

Oh, and I don't.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ May 13 2014, 9:57 am)
Wouldn't that apply to your beloved guns too?

Ouch.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's saying that alcohol kills more than any ONE thing else, not all else combined.

And are you saying that if everyone ate right and exercised as they should and didn't use tobacco that there would be ZERO heart disease, ZERO respiratory disease, ZERO cancer....?

OTOH, if no one used alcohol, there would be zero alcohol related diseases.

--------------

Post Number: 18
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And hammers ... don't forget about hammers!  :O

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But, like germs and fast food there's more than one type of alcoholic beverage.

But sure lets ban it! Can we also then ban unclean drinking water?

"The protection measures include: increasing taxes on alcohol; raising the drinking age; and regulating the marketing of alcoholic beverages. "
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I say start with mosquitoes, ban them first, last, and always.

That way backpackers get something out of the ban!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 21
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 13 2014, 9:59 am)
MLW, what would you prefer to be the leading cause of human death??

You do realize, I assume, that none of us getting out alive, so something is going to kill everyone of us.

Is cancer better than alcohol?  How about diabetes?  Congestive heart failure? COPD?  Gunshot??  Car wreck?

Which is your choice to be the leading cause of death for human beans??

Personally I am kind of torn between alcohol poisoning and freezing.  Either one seems somewhat better than those other causes!!

What? Are you saying it's all pretty much the same?

My choice for the leading cause of death for humans is anything that doesn't affect others - as alcohol does in such horrible fashion - physical, social, psychological (individually, family, and community).

What a DRUG!

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, you think that cancer, OCPD, congestive heart failure and diabetes don't affect all the people around you too??

Dying is almost always an ugly and painful business, and while alcohol and other drugs are pretty bad, some of those others are even worse, IMO.

Ever see a family cleaning up the room after their teenager blew his brains out with a .357?

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 23
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see that the gun schmucks have taken over the boards again...

I vote for guns being the biggest killer of humans, but only if all such deaths are self-inflicted. IOW, modify all firearms so that the barrel points back at the user.
 Post Number: 24
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So if a guy gets drunk and blows away his neighbor for playing his music too loud, does that qualify as an alcohol-related death?
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, no, that is Defense of Castle exception, just another law abiding homeowner acting in self defense.  Their ungodly sounds were trespassing on his sonic territory.

Alcohol is much, much slower, and more painful.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 13 2014, 5:07 pm)
So, you think that cancer, OCPD, congestive heart failure and diabetes don't affect all the people around you too??

Dying is almost always an ugly and painful business, and while alcohol and other drugs are pretty bad, some of those others are even worse, IMO.

Ever see a family cleaning up the room after their teenager blew his brains out with a .357?

Any chronic illness affects families as well as patients, obviously.

But alcohol has a range of damage to families and society far beyond cancer, COPD, CHF, etc. For example, the violence associated with alcohol exceeds the violence of all those diseases together - surely beyond the 10th power.

The lifelong psychological damage of growing up in an alcoholic family is well-documented. Having a family member with cancer, etc. is difficult, but the magnitude of damage just isn't the same.

What a DRUG!

--------------

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not devaluing or underestimating the power of having a family member with a serious chronic illness. I should have said something to the effect of extraordinarily difficult, often terrible, sometimes crushing.

One way to say what I'm trying to say is that heavy use of alcohol often creates a wide and lasting swathe of destruction through families and communities. And when it does, the damage tends to be greater than the damage from chronic diseases such as CHF or cancer.

--------------

Post Number: 28
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If someone chooses to destroy their own life, so be it. The line is drawn at where you destroy other's lives, that's where you should be held accountable.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ May 13 2014, 7:45 pm)
If someone chooses to destroy their own life, so be it. The line is drawn at where you destroy other's lives, that's where you should be held accountable.

You do understand that's a basic libertarian concept...

--------------

Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ May 13 2014, 10:27 pm)

(wycanislatrans @ May 13 2014, 7:45 pm)

You do understand that's a basic libertarian concept...

That's a basic concept of almost every belief system.
38 replies since May 13 2014, 7:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Alcohol kills more people than anything else
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions