2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yay!  More gun-free zones!  Yay!, I'm sure criminals are rejoicing.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 7:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://news.yahoo.com/chipotl....ivQtDMD

I went there once.  The food was mediocre.  The service pompous.  Now, I have one more reason to never go again.

Personal safety.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You did read where this policy was a result of customers openly carrying military style rifles into the store, right?  I would say that those people took it upon themselves to make a statement of aggression and intimidation to the chain.  This is what bad behavior gets.  

You can't take a gun into any sports venue.  NFL checks purses, making women carry their belongings in clear ziplock bags.  Too many fans have acted rudely, or started fights.  

In the end, public policy will dictate bad behavior will not be tolerated.  If it affects gun owners / carriers, then they will need to find other outlets for their entertainment.

When restaurants, bars, and bowling alleys stopped allowing smokers inside, everyone thought it would affect business.  It hasn't.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I understand the personal choice not to frequent places where you can't protect yourself in the manner you think best.  That's a personal choice.

But I don't buy the "gun free zone" doctrine.  We have a long history of criminals going wherever their intended target happens to be, whether it sis four armed on duty police officers in a restaurant, a police station full of armed officers, or a school with no one armed on the premises.  

Many people feel safer if they don't know other people around them are armed.  As illogical as that is, it is nevertheless a phenomena expressed by many.

Imagine a group hike where no mention is made of firearms and half the members of the group are carrying concealed.  The other half will have no stress over firearms because they think there are no firearms being carried by anyone in the group.

Now change that to open carry by the armed half, and some in the non-armed half will have a cow about their safety being at risk.

Ignorance truly is bliss in some situations.
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I understand the personal choice not to frequent places where you can't protect yourself in the manner you think best.

I don't carry.  Never needed it.  Some do.  I won't begrudge them.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

KEWL!

Another prolapse thread about the gunsluts and their gunmetal penis envy.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now if America were to outlaw ALL guns, become a gun free society, there would be no such issues as:

"the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers."

It is just common sense. Outlaw ALL guns as London has.

I like this pro-gun cartoon. It shows what happens when you DON'T outlaw ALL guns.

--------------
watch "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
 Post Number: 7
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ May 19 2014, 7:55 pm)
I understand the personal choice not to frequent places where you can't protect yourself in the manner you think best.

I don't carry.  Never needed it.  Some do.  I won't begrudge them.

Then your opening statement makes no sense.
 Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ May 19 2014, 7:22 pm)
Now if America were to outlaw ALL guns, become a gun free society, there would be no such issues as:

"the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers."

It is just common sense. Outlaw ALL guns as London has.

I like this pro-gun cartoon. It shows what happens when you DON'T outlaw ALL guns.

You seriously believe that an all encompassing gun ban will make all the bad guys roll over and give up their already illegal firearms?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, it just makes bullets too valuable to be wasting on kids, and other innocents.  If guns are illegal, so would be bullets.  That stockpile in certain people's homes would be too valuable to give up for the kind of money offered by lunatics.  Of course, all the gun owners are good guys until they turn into lunatics and bad guys.

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many people feel safer if they don't know other people around them are armed.  As illogical as that is, it is nevertheless a phenomena expressed by many.

Imagine a group hike where no mention is made of firearms and half the members of the group are carrying concealed.  The other half will have no stress over firearms because they think there are no firearms being carried by anyone in the group.

LOL  A total fantasy, how can you even imagine a group of CCW hikers who did not make sure that everyone knew they were carrying heat, and that they would protect EVERYONE from the zombies??

If you can't impress the gals,and/or guys, what is the point of carrying all that extra weight??

What a country!

Been hiking since 1954, never carried a gun, never needed one.  And never will.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 6:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 19 2014, 8:02 pm)
No, it just makes bullets too valuable to be wasting on kids, and other innocents.  If guns are illegal, so would be bullets.  That stockpile in certain people's homes would be too valuable to give up for the kind of money offered by lunatics.  Of course, all the gun owners are good guys until they turn into lunatics and bad guys.

Banning ammo does not necessarily follow banning of guns.

What makes you think lunatics don't already have stockpiles or would do so upon learning of an impending ban?

Are you implying that "all gun owners" will eventually turn into lunatics? Or are you saying that anyone who owns guns is already one?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walked into a Subway in a N. Dallas suburb  Subway.  2 other customers.  1 was a nicely dressed middle aged lady, paying the clerk for her foot long......had what appeared to be a .45 strapped to her hip.

Clerk was nervously eyeing her.  So was the other customer.  I stood at the door, held it open for her as she walked out.

The palpable tension  from the clerk and other customer was visibly eased.  So was mine.

Told this story to someone close.  The reply was "Good for her!"....the assumption was she must have been a brave patriot, ready to protect herself and others in case an armed  loonie  decided to shoot up the Subway.

My assumption was different:  the chances were better that an armed loonie was already in the Subway.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 13
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ May 20 2014, 6:38 am)
What makes you think lunatics don't already have stockpiles or would do so upon learning of an impending ban?

Are you implying that "all gun owners" will eventually turn into lunatics? Or are you saying that anyone who owns guns is already one?

I am saying we have no idea what makes people mentally ill.  Everyone is a good guy until they get some sort of mental illness.  Gun owners who become mentally unstable are just more capable of doing the community vast more harm than non-gun owning mentally ill citizens.

If this nation ever gets around to banning guns, I am hopeful that banning ammo would be the first step.  In fact, banning ammo and the supplies for making your own ammo would be all that is needed to make the firearms just expensive hammers and clubs.

My brother in law is one of the most responsible gun owners I know.  Always keeps his guns locked in a safe, except when he is using them.   Still, should he become imbalanced somehow, he would be a well armed looney, and could do himself and or his family great harm.  He would be less dangerous if he collected knives, or stamps.

In all of the years I have been posting here, I have not made it a secret how I feel about firearms.  I don't recall ever lumping all gun owners into a looney bin.  There are those who place too much importance on their toys, but I see that with kayakers and backpackers as well.  When a kayaker "goes Postal" who gets hurt?

--------------

Post Number: 15
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ May 20 2014, 7:21 am)
Walked into a Subway in a N. Dallas suburb  Subway.  2 other customers.  1 was a nicely dressed middle aged lady, paying the clerk for her foot long......had what appeared to be a .45 strapped to her hip.

Clerk was nervously eyeing her.  So was the other customer.  I stood at the door, held it open for her as she walked out.

The palpable tension  from the clerk and other customer was visibly eased.  So was mine.

Told this story to someone close.  The reply was "Good for her!"....the assumption was she must have been a brave patriot, ready to protect herself and others in case an armed  loonie  decided to shoot up the Subway.

My assumption was different:  the chances were better that an armed loonie was already in the Subway.

I would be just as (if not more) concerned about an unarmed loonie who sees the gun strapped to the hip of the nicely dressed middle aged lady, and without warning takes it from her.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 19 2014, 10:34 pm)

LOL  A total fantasy, how can you even imagine a group of CCW hikers who did not make sure that everyone knew they were carrying heat, and that they would protect EVERYONE from the zombies??

If you can't impress the gals,and/or guys, what is the point of carrying all that extra weight??

What a country!

I've lead many hikes on which others and I were carrying concealed.  

On a few of those hikes we have come across hunters existing the woods and some in the group expressed fear over seeing an armed person in the woods.

That's highly irrational and illogical.  first, because they have no idea who in the group is armed.  Second because hunting and target practice are allowed every day of the year in New York State forests, so every hike they go on there is a good chance that there are armed individuals in the woods with them.

Apparently they get great comfort from their ignorance of the facts.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 19 2014, 10:02 pm)

Yup..just like banning certain drugs has wiped them off the streets.  As history has taught us, make a a physical object illegal and it will disappear from all of society.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 19 2014, 10:34 pm)

So what?  That justified you clamoring to prevent others from carrying their choice of equipment?

I know people who hike without any means of water treatment.  So that must mean you should leave yours home as well.  I know people who hike without any survival equipment, so unpack yours as well next time you venture out.

I even know a person who has never been into the woods in the last 60 years except to hunt.  He thinks people who go into the woods for any reason other than to hunt should be barred from the woods because they add nothing to the conservation of our natural resources.  As another forum member once said, non-hunters are nothing but a disruption to the wilderness.

So maybe you should just stay out of the woods altogether.  That way you won't have to worry about staining your pants if you come across someone who is armed - whether you know it or not.
 Post Number: 19
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In this day and age why wouldn't anyone's first reaction to seeing someone in public with a gun be one of suspicion? Here, they used to be far more commonplace, but you just knew you didn't have to worry about anyone's intent. Now you pretty much always have to be aware of what is going on around you. But being aware and constant paranoia are very different things. I don't need a gun to feel safe, pretty much ever. And I say this as a gun owner. If someone gets squirrely at my house, the dogs would like a word with you, the cat is even likely to tear you up. I'd wallop someone with whatever was handy long before I'd go get a gun. We got robbed at work, I got the money back. Chased them down the street, yelling everyone out of their houses for 3 blocks around. When they saw there was no getting away with it they put it down on the sidewalk and ran. It's very possible they got some, they didn't get it all. Another time, at another job, I kicked a would be robber out. I walked in and here is some guy hassling the other waitress. What's wrong with you, yelling at a little old lady?? Get out (well, that and a few more words we won't post here), and yelled for the cooks. He got out... then I found out what I'd done. I thought he was just a drunk, oh well.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 20
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my friends, a VERY ardent 2nd Amendment supporter, summed it up well on Facebook:

Well, there you have it. A company that was cool with you carrying concealed is now telling you to leave your gun in the car. Why ? Because a bunch of mouth breathing crusaders decided to take it upon themselves and open carry long guns and scare some children. Well done. Guess what, your 2A rights do not supersede property rights and now the issue is forced and we lose. If I wanted to go out to eat and see a bunch of sketchy bearded zealots carrying small arms, I would move to Anbar. Thanks a lot 2A hero's. Leave your AK in the trunk.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ May 20 2014, 11:17 am)
Another time, at another job, I kicked a would be robber out. I walked in and here is some guy hassling the other waitress. What's wrong with you, yelling at a little old lady?? Get out (well, that and a few more words we won't post here), and yelled for the cooks. He got out... then I found out what I'd done. I thought he was just a drunk, oh well.

Damn... I was thinking you roundhouse kicked him!  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ May 20 2014, 8:21 am)

Thankfully, Subway had fresh bread:

The Associated Press reports a woman threatened to shoot everyone inside a Burger King location in Mount Pleasant, S.C. on Tuesday, May 13. Police said the customer was upset over a stale cinnamon roll.

According to the Post and Courier, a witness said she started shouting at employees when she learned there was only one Cinnabon treat left. The unidentified woman allegedly left with two female friends after a manager came to speak with her, but later returned.

"I'm going to shoot down the place," she said, according to the police report. She also allegedly had her hand in her purse, as if she was preparing to pull out a gun.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When Chic-fil-a was catching hell from the Left for their CEO's anti-gay politics, the Right was all for the business to have their say. Now that a business has exercised their property rights and requested all non- LEOs leave their firearms home, the Right is all indignant that their Constitutional Rights are being restricted.  Guess what?  Those Rights are only what the government can or cannot do.  Any property owner can set their own requirements, and most employers do also.

I say let them eat elsewhere.  Soon enough, they will either decide to leave their weapons home and eat there, or Chipotle will feel the economic toll and reverse it's decision, or neither.  I have not seen any articles on Starbucks feeling the pinch.

I would hope more and more businesses would start doing this.  If some gun owners feel the need to carry at all times, then they can eat at home where no one will disturb their desire to carry.  

--------------

Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In this day and age why wouldn't anyone's first reaction to seeing someone in public with a gun be one of suspicion?

Suire...if you are the type that thinks every women wearing a short skirt wants to have sex with you, or every car is being driven by a drunk.

When I come across a person in the woods with a firearm I don't assume they are there to create mayhem.  Just as I don't assume that everyone with matches is in the woods to start a forest fire.

I don't need fire alarms in my house because the dog is sure to alert me if there is a fire.  So you shouldn't need them either.  throw them out today.  Fido is all you need.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ May 20 2014, 11:29 am)
One of my friends, a VERY ardent 2nd Amendment supporter, summed it up well on Facebook:

Well, there you have it. A company that was cool with you carrying concealed is now telling you to leave your gun in the car. Why ? Because a bunch of mouth breathing crusaders decided to take it upon themselves and open carry long guns and scare some children. Well done. Guess what, your 2A rights do not supersede property rights and now the issue is forced and we lose. If I wanted to go out to eat and see a bunch of sketchy bearded zealots carrying small arms, I would move to Anbar. Thanks a lot 2A hero's. Leave your AK in the trunk.

So those same people were OK as long as they didn't know that the people eating at the next table were armed?

I have no problem with a business choosing to exclude firearms from their premises, for whatever reason.

But let's at least be intellectually honest about this decision.  The complaints were because people saw other people with firearms, not because people were armed.
 Post Number: 26
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would like to encourage certain forum members to frequent bars that allow firearms and use your usual forum charm while chatting there. Nice knowing you.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ May 20 2014, 4:22 pm)

In this day and age why wouldn't anyone's first reaction to seeing someone in public with a gun be one of suspicion?

Suire...if you are the type that thinks every women wearing a short skirt wants to have sex with you....."

Just wearing a short skirt? No.

But, what  if she's also dragging a mattress down the street with a box of condoms strapped to her hip?

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My gun-owning/permit-holding advice to my GrandKids, if they see a non-LEO enter a store with a holstered gun.

"They are probably not going to shoot you.....but, avoid eye contact and walk slowly and calmly out the door....if it's not holstered, run out the door".

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ May 20 2014, 6:59 pm)

(nogods @ May 20 2014, 4:22 pm)

Suire...if you are the type that thinks every women wearing a short skirt wants to have sex with you....."

Just wearing a short skirt? No.

But, what  if she's also dragging a mattress down the street with a box of condoms strapped to her hip?

That stuff could be for her girlfriend.
 Post Number: 30
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montanalonewolf
You seriously believe that an all encompassing gun ban will make all the bad guys roll over and give up their already illegal firearms?

Yes. It has been done a number of times, in a number of countries, in the last 100 years. It took Ferdinand Marcos less than ten years to make the Philippines gun free, except for the military, beginning in the early 1970's. His military pried the "cold dead hands" from the guns of a lot gun owners who refused to comply at first. Then the registered guns were quickly surrendered to the military. See confiscation of guns remembered .

One can learn a lot from a study of history.

The US has a much more powerful military than Ferndinand Marcos did in the Philippines, and computer technology will make identifying gun owners much easier. So I doubt it would take ten years to make the US gun free.

--------------
watch "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
198 replies since May 19 2014, 7:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yay!  More gun-free zones!  Yay!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions