2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Red Skins name controversy, U.S. Senate enters the game< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2014, 11:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really don't give a rat's behind about the Washington football team's name.  But I was astounded to see the U.S. Senate, lead by Harry Reid, debating the issue.  I would think they have better things to do than argue about what to call a bunch of guys who kick a ball around.  As has been said, "What a country."  Sheesh! :p

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
gregpphoto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 7:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its too bad from a graphic design perspective as the Redskins logo is just tops in my book.
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 7:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two thoughts...

Jer, I agree.

greg, thought locally is that the logo would stand if the name were changed to something similiar.  Now, if the plaintiffs decide to go after the Cleveland Indians, KC Chiefs and Atlanta Braves, it could potentially make a whole class of names and logos unusable.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was going to start a thread on this subject to see how others feel.

I have mixed but muted feelings about it. I don't find it offensive, but I am not part of the population that matters. Are native American groups really put off by it?

In today's environment, the whole thing with Congress smacks of political grandstanding. But that's nothing new. The trademark decision seems pretty questionable.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are native American groups really put off by it?

Would anyone be offended if a team had a name like... say... the Jacksonville Jigaboos and the mascot was a black person picking cotton?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some one would be offended if they were simply assigned numbers instead of actual names.

Which I could totally see in the case of "43"....

Congress sees D.C. as their home turf so a local team is going to get scrutiny and you can bet back home interested parties poke at this as well: I expect Reid has quite a few people in Nevada vocally chiming in on this. Not much is viewed through any sort of "national" lens. Look at the sole Representative who's going to be able to entirely block a land purchase for Yosemite National Park on the basis it now falls in his district due to redistricting while everyone else on all side of the aisle at local state and federal levels including the two current owner groups...
 Post Number: 7
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of Cherokee and Choctaw ancestry in my family.  Most do not identify too closely with their American Indian heritage, but some do, including some who are registered tribal members.

I've never discussed the issue with them, but I would... very... strongly... advise against calling them a Redskin.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 8
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would be okay with the Washington Whiteskins.....................would that offend anyone here?

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 9
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They should rename them the "Washington Gridlock."

That's a good double-entendre.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Jun. 19 2014, 2:28 pm)

Now that's the most sensible suggestion yet. :D

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Problem solved

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 12
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2014, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I literally LOL'd. :D

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 13
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2014, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0J6vURwLSc

What controversy?

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 14
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2014, 2:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Jun. 19 2014, 10:01 am)
I was going to start a thread on this subject to see how others feel.

I have mixed but muted feelings about it. I don't find it offensive, but I am not part of the population that matters. Are native American groups really put off by it?

In today's environment, the whole thing with Congress smacks of political grandstanding. But that's nothing new. The trademark decision seems pretty questionable.

It doesn't matter how we feel, they say don't do it. That ought to be enough. It's being heard by congress because they're petitioning for it and have been since the 70's. Not just mascots and team names, some would also like to see certain terms such as squaw dropped from use as it's a very derogatory term. For those not in the know, it is not a Native woman, but a woman of no status, that you can use or do with as you please. That particular term is used in a lot of place names. Valley, Lake, whatever. They have a point, it's not appropriate. We wouldn't name such things with similar terms from our own language.

http://youtu.be/mR-tbOxlhvE

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 15
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2014, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they are not offended....then neither am I  :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 16
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2014, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Took me a while to find this...I knew I read it somewhere

http://nationalinterest.org/comment....sy-9395

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 17
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2014, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jun. 19 2014, 12:32 pm)

+2

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 18
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2014, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 22 2014, 10:06 am)

If they are not offended....then neither am I  :laugh:

So what if they are not, many are. There are plenty of Blacks that censor others for throwing the N bomb around. There is literally no difference between the N word and the term redskin. None. Some may be okay with it, and even describe themselves as red, but that's their thing, not ours to impose on them. Others think they have way bigger fish to fry and if people want to act ignorant, let them act ignorant. Being called an objectionable name does rather pale in the face of genocide and culture war. Others will do all the things, and demand respect. I'm pretty cool with that.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 19
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2014, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they are not offended....then neither am I

Lots of blacks use the N-word among themselves even while non-blacks are offended by the use yet those same blacks would be seriously outraged if/when a non-black used the term.

The big difference? Blacks have political power, Indians don't.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 20
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2014, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Used to be that black and brown skinned folks had no power either.

This is the process of growing power and learning to use it, IMO.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 21
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

from what I've heard the word Redskins
was used for turning in scalps for money
way back in the early years before
the United States even became a country.
It was similar to turning in beaver and
deer hides for money
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jun. 22 2014, 11:29 am)

(hikerjer @ Jun. 19 2014, 12:32 pm)

+2

+3
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb....oo-logo

Cleveland is up next.  My guess is Atlanta before Kansas City if this gains momentum.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Padres withstood a run at their name in the 70's, maybe that will come around again.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 25 2014, 1:04 pm)
The Padres withstood a run at their name in the 70's, maybe that will come around again.

Really?  Who was upset about that one?

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jun. 25 2014, 10:05 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 25 2014, 1:04 pm)

Really?  Who was upset about that one?

The Catholic Church.

Might have been the mascot looked a tad too much like a (albeit Spanish colonial era) priest, can't remember the precise details. Maybe the "Halo" on the top of the hats?

They tend to get upset every once in a while, the Church really objected to SSN-705, a Los Angeles class missile submarine, i.e. a weapons platform of mass death and destruction, being tentatively named for one particular American city as is the recent tradition for such: "Corpus Cristi"...

So it got tweaked to:"City of Corpus Cristi"..
http://navysite.de/ssn/ssn705.htm
 Post Number: 27
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 25 2014, 12:19 pm)
They tend to get upset every once in a while, the Church really objected to SSN-705, a Los Angeles class missile submarine, i.e. a weapons platform of mass death and destruction, being tentatively named for one particular American city as is the recent tradition for such: "Corpus Cristi"...

If Kim Jung-un gets fightin' mad about a Seth Rogen comedy about his assassination, can you imagine what an Islamic state might think about a cruise missile tagged "Corpus Christi" being lobbed their way? Holy War!! Jihad!!

Well, let's face it: "thin-skinned" pretty much describes the human race...
 Post Number: 28
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2014, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 25 2014, 1:19 pm)

http://navysite.de/ssn/ssn705.htm

FWIW, the 688 Los Angeles Class are Fast Attack Subs, NOT "missile submarines".  They carry no SLBMs.  They do carry Tomahawk cruise missiles, but (reportedly) all are conventional tactical missiles and none have nuclear warheads.  So (reportedly) no weapons of mass destruction aboard.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2014, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Catholic Church, and others, still didn't like it.

http://news.usni.org/2013....versies
 Post Number: 30
craigwill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2014, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some good commentary from John Oliver's new show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJKfs4ZnbNE
32 replies since Jun. 18 2014, 11:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Red Skins name controversy
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions