2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: One Thing Wrong in Kansas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 3:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the things that is wrong with Kansas!!

You can't make this stuff up.  Maybe he should have flown a small American flag on the bookhouse??

The idea of sharing his love of books with his neighbors was thrilling to 9-year-old Spencer Collins. So, with the help of his parents, he set up a Little Free Library in their yard in Leawood, Kansas.

City authorities told the family to take it down.

Little Free Libraries are a little like a dollhouse full of books: they sit on a pole or wall or fence, have two or three shelves and may include a protective glass door. An encouraging sign is posted -- "Take a book, return a book" -- prompting people who walk past to take a look and grab something to read.

There are more than 10,000 Little Free Libraries set up around the world. Kits can be ordered online; Spencer Collins got one as a gift from his grandfather.

This is why there needs to be the ability to recall elected officials, and we need to start changing the culture of the country away from trying to regulate absolutely everything.

The Leawood City Council said it had received a couple of complaints about Spencer Collins' Little Free Library. They dubbed it an "illegal detached structure" and told the Collins' they would face a fine if they did not remove the Little Free Library from their yard by June 19.

They did so. It's now set up in the family's garage. But Spencer isn't giving up.

In an interview with local television station KMBC, Collins ruminated on creating a pulley system to raise and lower the Little Free Library to provide access. While that probably won't happen, he is likely to follow through on his plans to appear at the Leawood City Council to suggest Little Free Libraries be allowed.

He will have some supporters. "Leawood should drop rules that prohibit lending libraries in front yards," proclaims an editorial in the Kansas City Star. "While obviously the ambiance of Leawood would take a hit if people started constructing carports or dog houses in their front yards, lending libraries are an asset. Neighbors who might be worried about them should wander over and borrow a book."

http://www.latimes.com/books....ry.html

These things are tiny, do not intrude in any way, do not impede sidewalk access, and are attractively designed, like thin bird house.  Holds about 12-20 books depending on size of books.

My grandaughter visits two of them in her neighborhood, borrowing lending books every few weeks.

What a country!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a few of those around town. It's a nice idea but they seem to be primarily a place for religious nuts to leave propaganda.

Pretty harmless otherwise:
http://www.pinterest.com/ltlfreelibrary/eco-friendly-libraries/
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see them sometimes in train stations. Nice idea.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know this will sound jarring to some... but in many of the little ways of daily living -- countries like China are actually freer than here.  For better and for worse.

We tend to emphasize principles.  Yes, we can form our own party any time we wish.  But in reality, how many of us wake up in the morning determined to form a new political party?

You can't form your own political party in China.  But if you want to add on to your house, or paint it purple, or erect a huge fence, or chop down all the trees in the back, or set up a little book stall -- hey, go right ahead.  Permits?  What permits??  You don't need no stinkin' permits.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think community standards are a good thing.  Enforcing building permits is just one of the ways we ensure the value of everyone's property.  Chopping down all the trees in your backyard may adversely affect your neighbor, so it isn't just your call.

There are prices we pay for our society.  I am sure we all could find something we don't like about our own neighborhoods, but keeping them similar keeps the values up.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 5:36 pm)
You can't form your own political party in China.  But if you want to add on to your house, or paint it purple, or erect a huge fence, or chop down all the trees in the back, or set up a little book stall -- hey, go right ahead.  Permits?  What permits??  You don't need no stinkin' permits.

Great if you don't mind risking the government turning off the power and water and forcing your entire city to move elsewhere.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 24 2014, 2:43 pm)
I think community standards are a good thing.  Enforcing building permits is just one of the ways we ensure the value of everyone's property.  Chopping down all the trees in your backyard may adversely affect your neighbor, so it isn't just your call.

There are prices we pay for our society.  I am sure we all could find something we don't like about our own neighborhoods, but keeping them similar keeps the values up.  

That's why I wrote "for better and for worse" above.

But regardless of the desirability of said trade off's -- the fact is still a curtailment of personal liberty.  Different societies figure out different tradeoff's to achieve various equilibriums.  Governments (including our own) love to tout high-sounding principles of freedom -- but the devil is all in the nitty gritty details.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jun. 24 2014, 2:47 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 5:36 pm)

Great if you don't mind risking the government turning off the power and water and forcing your entire city to move elsewhere.

You think all the freeway's and expanded airports, etc. around you were built on virgin land?   :;):

Addendum:  Coming to think about it, the use of eminent domain (aka forced removal) seems to be frequent in developing countries... and when those countries prosper and prices (esp. the value of land) go up accordingly... projects become that much more expensive... and major projects become fewer and harder to get off the ground... and eminent domain decreases accordingly.

Due mostly to different stages of economic development (developing vs. developed) -- it's just easier to push big projects like high speed rail in China than here.  California is one good example.  As well, look back and see how straightforward it was to build the massive Hoover Dam back in the 1930's -- try doing something this massive today!  Different times, different stages -- for better and for worse.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope. I also don't think entire cities had their water and power turned off to force the residents to move. Is that what you believe happens here in America?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jun. 24 2014, 2:52 pm)
Nope. I also don't think entire cities had their water and power turned off to force the residents to move. Is that what you believe happens here in America?

Please read my addendum above regarding different stages of development.

One more thing to remember:  when we were at our early stages of development -- our "eminent domain" practice was basically pushing aside Indians.  So no, not entire cities -- but entire nations!!  You know, manifest destiny... :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah the good old Ben edit maneuver. Forgot about that tactic.

So you have to go back in time how far in American history to justify this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_evictions_in_China

BTW, how much older is China than the US?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jun. 24 2014, 3:01 pm)
Ah the good old Ben edit maneuver. Forgot about that tactic.

So you have to go back in time how far in American history to justify this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_evictions_in_China

BTW, how much older is China than the US?

Very regrettable that you can't follow along a discussion without getting defensive -- just because the topic touches on America!

You should know that America is you and I (and all other citizens around as well).

How old is China?  A better (more pertinent) question is how long have they embarked on their Industrial Revolution?

As for going back 'that far' into our own history to compare... perhaps that's a compliment to our own nation's head start!  Yes, our industrial revolution started that much earlier.

And yes, I am constantly wordsmithing.  You should know that.  Plus, in this case, you know I was already wordsmithing before I read your posts.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh good lord here we go again. I'm sorry you're offended by facts and questions Ben but you've always been easily offended. You seem to relish in finding things to get upset about.  The fact is that China is not more free than America in any measurable way. Claiming that one example in one neighborhood in America demonstrates that China is more free than America is just utter nonsense.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did I say China is more free than America?  Nope.  It depends on particular areas.  Why did you think I took pains to cite particular examples -- versus making any kind of a blanket statement?

Ol Zeke responded to what I actually wrote.  Why can't you?  Quit circling wagons in your head and actually read before you respond.  Good grief.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Circling the wagons? You really do love to play the victim don't you. Before you edit it out, this is what you said, "countries like China are actually freer than here." How is that not the same as, "Did I say China is more free than America?"
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jun. 24 2014, 3:12 pm)
Circling the wagons? You really do love to play the victim don't you. Before you edit it out, this is what you said, "countries like China are actually freer than here." How is that not the same as, "Did I say China is more free than America?"

Ya, delete out the stuff and attack the rest.  Typical HG!!!

What I actually wrote, and this part was never changed:

"I know this will sound jarring to some... but in many of the little ways of daily living -- countries like China are actually freer than here.  For better and for worse."

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 2:36 pm)
I know this will sound jarring to some... but in many of the little ways of daily living -- countries like China are actually freer than here.  For better and for worse.

We tend to emphasize principles.  Yes, we can form our own party any time we wish.  But in reality, how many of us wake up in the morning determined to form a new political party?

Damn straight. Want to add rat poison to baby formula? You're entirely free to do that with no permits required. Poison in pet treats for export? No permits. Toxic gas from export wallboard? No stink in permits.

The sweet, sweet taste of freedom. Or is that ethylene glycol in the toothpaste or lead on the toy? Freedom to poison or freedom to avoid being poisoned? I'll take the latter. Course it took a long time for the Clean Air Act to come to be so the freedom to poison is a strong one. Though it's bulwarks just got a little stronger this week with a rather one sided, surprisingly enough, Supreme Court Decision on an EPA matter..

Oh and how about those payoffs to the local officials? No permit but there's still a cost.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 24 2014, 2:43 pm)

And that's as old as tanning yards poisoning the air and being "zoned" along with other obnoxious activities, however necessary, to specific locales.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 24 2014, 3:14 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 2:36 pm)

Damn straight. Want to add rat poison to baby formula? You're entirely free to do that with no permits required. Poison in pet treats for export? No permits. Toxic gas from export wallboard? No stink in permits.

The sweet, sweet taste of freedom. Or is that ethylene glycol?

Oh and how about those payoffs to the local officials? No permit but there's still a cost.

Yep.  Unfettered freedom could go all the way to the freedom to put whatever I want in my baby formula -- and then sell it by advertising in whichever way I deem effective.

And doesn't this reinforce the notion that freedom is not an absolute good -- as in more is always better?  Because in the case of freedom, more is not always better.

When humans live in community, there has to be some tradeoff's between personal freedom and community good.

What gets me is how often our government and our media espoused "freedom" and "transparency" and all that -- and much of our population lick it all up.  It's not "either / or" -- and our world is never just black and white.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 2:58 pm)

One more thing to remember:  when we were at our early stages of development -- our "eminent domain" practice was basically pushing aside Indians.  So no, not entire cities -- but entire nations!!  You know, manifest destiny... :;):

HG?  How about manning up -- come out and admit you read it wrong, eh?   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Code words are simplistic for a reason. They serve a purpose but they're not very good for thorough analysis.

part of the reason I very, very, rarely listen to any political speeches or sound bites. Without followup questions all I hear are the red meat phrases that lack anything approaching substance.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 6:14 pm)

(HighGravity @ Jun. 24 2014, 3:12 pm)

Ya, delete out the stuff and attack the rest.  Typical HG!!!

There you go again. I didn't delete anything. I don't have the ability to delete your posts.

I quoted what was relevant, just as I did here again instead of letting you cover it up. You specifically said, "Did I say China is more free than America?  Nope." Yes you did. I quoted you saying it and now you accuse me of deleting something?

What's wrong with you?

In summary, no China is not freer than here. You are mistaken.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 6:25 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 2:58 pm)

HG?  How about manning up -- come out and admit you read it wrong, eh?   :;):

What is it you think I read wrong?
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Changed...

My bad!!  I meant to quote this part of what I had written earlier:

"I know this will sound jarring to some... but in many of the little ways of daily living -- countries like China are actually freer than here.  For better and for worse."

And then you make a broad conclusion that I think China is freer than America??

Anyway, you and I have pissed on wwwest's thread enough... Time to move on.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 6:30 pm)

Sorry for taking you at your word. I should have known better.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jun. 24 2014, 3:37 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jun. 24 2014, 6:30 pm)

Sorry for taking you at your word. I should have known better.

Sorry that you can't man up.  I should have known better.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 24 2014, 5:43 pm)

In general I agree with you Zeke, and in general I agree with the need for and practicality of zoning and use controls.  Big complex communities and neighborhoods are much better off with zoning and use controls along with building codes.

What frosts me about this is the same old zero tolerance attitude that is skewing many of our group controls now.

Ugly detached structures in the front yards would be a negative for the community and probably would affect the neighbors property value significantly.

But the Little Free Library will not, in fact in the neighborhoods I am familiar with they are seen as a positive, certainly a positive for expressing the value of books and education through action, not just through slogans.

How do we get ever get to the point of being able to recognize that Little Free Librarys are not a threat to community values, but still maintain the reality that goat pens, equipment storage sheds or a gazebos touching the property line in the front yard do affect the neighboring properties.

Maybe we will learn more in seeing what this community ends up doing.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 28
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have no idea what the free library looked like, but the article said there were complaints.  Maybe a few neighbors didn't like the exception to the 'no buildings in the front yard' rule.  I have no idea.

I agree that it seems like a kid's free library is innocuous.  I also can see the abuse of that privilege by including propaganda from sources one family believes in and neighbors do not.  Kids might read stuff their parents don't approve of.

Here's the deal, IMO.  If it is just normal run of the mill kid's books, the neighbors overstepped their graciousness.  If the community still enforces the rules, then everyone has choices to make.  I could see me telling my kid to put the library back in the front yard and take our chances in court.  Some things need to be taught with real life experiences.  Life is not always fair, and the majority isn't always right.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 29
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cough*cough*bullsh!t*cough

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 30
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jun. 24 2014, 8:19 pm)

cough*cough*bullsh!t*cough

Obviously you have never lived in a city where there are rules about cutting down your own trees.  Sometimes, trees make a street more livable.  

--------------

29 replies since Jun. 24 2014, 3:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply One Thing Wrong in Kansas
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions