2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: First the munchies, Then Schizophrenia< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 4:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.newser.com/story....ed.html

Takes "medicinal use" to a whole new level  :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting article.
 Post Number: 3
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh...that study is still no reason to keep the stuff illegal.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 4
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meanwhile the most deadly drugs are available from your local doctor and pharmacy.

Prescription drug abuse causes the largest percentage of deaths from drug overdosing. Of the 22,400 drug overdose deaths in the US in 2005, opioid painkillers were the most commonly found drug, accounting for 38.2% of these deaths.

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfac....cs.html
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 25 2014, 2:50 pm)
First the munchies, Then Schizophrenia

You know that article doesn't actually say marijuana causes schizophrenia in any way, don't you?

Do you actually read any of the articles you post, BB, or are you simply a copy & paste monkey all the time?

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:laugh:

I was waiting for someone to point that out.
 Post Number: 7
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jun. 25 2014, 5:41 pm)

I was waiting for someone to point that out.

Billy Babbitt's posts should never require guidance in order to understand their shallow nature. Apparently, he never reads anything other than the headlines.

Though it's mostly inadvertent, his attempts at relevance are mostly merely humorous.
 Post Number: 8
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Y'all actually open the links BilBab posts?
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Jun. 25 2014, 8:25 pm)

It is obvious he doesn't read them, so if linked someone should take the time to read it.  Sometimes good stuff is in there.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 25 2014, 8:38 pm)

It is obvious he doesn't read them, so if linked someone should take the time to read it.  Sometimes good stuff is in there.  

I usually hover over the link and look at the address. Nine times out of ten or more, BilBab links to a blog. To me, it seems pretty lame to have to post a link to an opinion instead of posting your own opinion.
I just don't take him seriously.
 Post Number: 11
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually open them with confident anticipation that we are about to see another thread where someone has quoted the onion.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is obvious is that I cannot use small enough words for this group

Somehow you mental midgets decided I said pot use leads to schizophrenia

Only I did not

And you might notice that it does not draw any definite conclusions either way, so pot use MAY "spur schizophrenia in those who are predisposed to it"

As marmotstew posted....the first time (before he simply piled on)....I think it is an interesting article.

So are any of you potheads gonna get screened for the gene?

Just in case

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 13
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 26 2014, 8:50 am)

Only I did not

Only you did.

First the munchies.
Then schizophrenia.

The causal relationship is clearly implied by what you typed.

Perhaps you're being intentionally vague in the text of the threads you start so you have plausible deniability when it's exposed by others as a big fail, then you can call the others "mental midgets" to salve your wounds. Or maybe you're such a mental midget yourself you don't understand what you type. Most likely you're simply taking a quick shot at people for whom you have contempt and you don't bother to think through the content of your link or the implications of what you type.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Jun. 25 2014, 9:53 pm)

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 25 2014, 8:38 pm)

I usually hover over the link and look at the address. Nine times out of ten or more, BilBab links to a blog. To me, it seems pretty lame to have to post a link to an opinion instead of posting your own opinion.
I just don't take him seriously.

I don't really care who you take seriously....hopefully not yourself

In short....my opinion is that you are a poopyhead

But I don't really feel better about sharing it

Maybe if I posted it in a blog???

Posting a link to a blog is nothing more than a hat tip to another person that has had (what some might feel was) a particularly insightful observation OR has done some research that they deserve to be praised for, or at least given credit for

I suppose I could simply plagiarize the work of others or parrot the mainstream media (only when they support my dogma , of course)

I also link to opinion pieces quite often, but in todays world most anything on a news site should be considered opinion until you have a lot more data from a number of sources

heck, even scientific journals should be held suspect to a large degree

And here is a hint...if all the sources use exactly the same words then you have collaboration....not corroboration

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first comment was biting my tongue. Bumping the thread. Trying to get you to come back and dig the hole deeper. Feel the force of the shovel. The shovel is strong in this one.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Jun. 26 2014, 10:03 am)

(BillBab @ Jun. 26 2014, 8:50 am)

Only I did not

Only you did.

First the munchies.
Then schizophrenia.

The causal relationship is clearly implied by what you typed.

Perhaps you're being intentionally vague in the text of the threads you start so you have plausible deniability when it's exposed by others as a big fail, then you can call the others "mental midgets" to salve your wounds. Or maybe you're such a mental midget yourself you don't understand what you type. Most likely you're simply taking a quick shot at people for whom you have contempt and you don't bother to think through the content of your link or the implications of what you type.

Ahhh...implied

Sounds like an excuse for an assumption

Try to stay with me

I say I did not say something

You say I did (because I implied it)

Here is a trick that smart people sometimes use....they ask for clarifying questions

It could go something like this

"are you saying that____?"

Which even sounds smarter than well you obviously think that because that is how your statement made me feel

You know it is just possible that I make a clear distinction (which is lost on you) between what I think and what I know

And in this case I don't KNOW anything about the science behind the theories and I have come to no conclusions for that simple reason

But I still thought it was interesting enough to share

Are new ideas really that frightening  ???

And another thing you may have missed is that while I often cannot help responding in kind.

I do not generally begin the personal attacks

So if you want civility...try practicing it   :p

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 26 2014, 9:50 am)

So are any of you potheads gonna get screened for the gene?

I won't but my other personality might.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jun. 26 2014, 10:16 am)
My first comment was biting my tongue. Bumping the thread. Trying to get you to come back and dig the hole deeper. Feel the force of the shovel. The shovel is strong in this one.

Almost the equal of your childishness

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 26 2014, 10:18 am)

I know you are but what am I?
 Post Number: 20
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jun. 26 2014, 7:24 am)

Careful, if you piss him off he'll call the authorities.....

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 21
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtnsteve @ Jun. 26 2014, 11:25 am)

(Marmotstew @ Jun. 26 2014, 7:24 am)

Careful, if you piss him off he'll call the authorities.....

Would they be the protester pothead and queer puppeteers?

Thanks for the healthy perspective Cgap. I think the sound of Bill Bab's beeping truckload of thorizine backing up every couple of days has drowned out his sense of deduction. Wait. Maybe it's combustion.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 26 2014, 8:04 am)
Posting a link to a blog is nothing more than a hat tip to another person that has had (what some might feel was) a particularly insightful observation OR has done some research that they deserve to be praised for, or at least given credit for

Yeah, okay.

It would be refreshing if you'd actually read a single one of them before copying & pasting the link.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And there you go again

I read all of them...and I actually understand what I am reading...if I don't I read more on the subject.

For instance, in this case, I thought the chicken/egg question vis-a-vis Cannabis use and schizophrenia was an interesting question. I like reading about cases where the conventional wisdom is shifting because I think the best scientists are the ones that realize they don't really KNOW much.

I get more nervous when they act like they have it all figured out

If you are advocating that I only post links to information that is totally one sided then I am going to disappoint you. One of the things I look for are articles that admit to the potential holes/flaws in their conclusion. Makes it less likely that they are simply spinning.

Knee-jerk assertions that I could not have read the piece because is not unequivocally supportive of my beliefs is silly.

I don't need it to be....and if you are projecting...please stop

As F.S.F. put it "The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 26 2014, 11:01 am)
If you are advocating that I only post links to information that is totally one sided then I am going to disappoint you. One of the things I look for are articles that admit to the potential holes/flaws in their conclusion. Makes it less likely that they are simply spinning.

Oooh ooh, are we playing pretend now?

You would almost sound convincing if your history didn't precede you, BB.  You do nothing on this forum *but* post mindless propaganda links that are 100% one-sided, or at least you try.  Given just how many times your idiotic one-liners conflict with the content in the link, it's obvious you don't read most of it, just like you hadn't read the link in this OP despite your lame backpedaling after the fact.  You can say whatever you like, but your actual behavior is about as mysterious as a toilet is to a plumber.  The dribbling BS you follow it up with isn't the slightest bit convincing.

Like cgap and most others, I also stopped taking you seriously long ago.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many people with neurological disorders self medicate. Nicotine is the drug of choice for any number.

No casual "linkage", no "trigger". People finding an over the counter solution, or at the least a partial one to an underlying issue they may not even be aware of.
 Post Number: 26
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What y'all talkin' 'bout?

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2014, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah totally, I forgot... what was this thread about?

--------------
26 replies since Jun. 25 2014, 4:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply First the munchies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions