2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt Katahdin - HDR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Jedeye4591 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2011, 1:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mt. Katahdin, Norther terminus of the Appalachian Trail

--------------
Walk All Day!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2011, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!  Did you take that photo?  Amazing!

I may have the opportunity to hike Katahdin next year.  My wife has a potential speaking engagement in Maine and my son and I are thinking about tagging along and summiting Katahdin.

Any advice?

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2011, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mudinyeri @ Dec. 13 2011, 2:59 pm)
Wow!  Did you take that photo?  Amazing!

I may have the opportunity to hike Katahdin next year.  My wife has a potential speaking engagement in Maine and my son and I are thinking about tagging along and summiting Katahdin.

Any advice?

Yes, I did take the photo, thanks! It was one of the few times I have been able to successfully merge a HDR photo(merged 3 exposures into one).

As far as advice goes a lot depends on the season. Whenever it is be prepared for the weather to be cooler and windier on the top. As you can see from the photo the top was covered in cloud. I would also start as early in the day as possible to enjoy your time and not feel rushed. There are a few different trails to the summit, so you may want to research those before you get to Baxter State Park. I have only hiked the AT to the top, but would like to try the Knifes edge one day.

I would not take trekking poles as there are a few sections where it is more helpful to use your hands to scramble.

--------------
Walk All Day!
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2011, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Holy WOW!!!!!  What a picture!! Awesome work. I love it.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2011, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Katahdin is a beast.  I too went up the Hunt (AT), and failed at The Gateway, as my youngest son could not pull himself up and over the slabs.  There were iron rods driven in the rock, but he was too short, and not strong enough to get up and over.  It was an utterly miserable day too.  Moderate rain the entire time, temps in the low-mid 40's, and NO visibility.  It was early Aug, this past year.  I hate failing to bag a peak!  I will go back!

Great pic!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2011, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're tentatively looking at early June so we'll probably need to be prepared for anything, I'm guessing, from snow to heat.

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 7
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2011, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, and blackflies, good lord blackflies!  I know that Hew Hampshire in June is torture for blackflies, I can only imagine Maine is just as bad, if not worse.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2011, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GlenG @ Dec. 14 2011, 4:12 pm)
Yeah, and blackflies, good lord blackflies!  I know that Hew Hampshire in June is torture for blackflies, I can only imagine Maine is just as bad, if not worse.

Good point... bring DEET!

--------------
Walk All Day!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2011, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Jedeye4591 @ Dec. 14 2011, 4:41 pm)

Good point... bring DEET!

Roger that!

--------------
 Post Number: 10
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2011, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is gorgeous.

The mountain is incredibly rugged, be prepared for some quite rocky trail. Depending on the time of year it takes next to no room in the pack to have a headnet for the worst of the bugs.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 11
DewChugr Search for posts by this member.
Photoshop God

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2011, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice. An HDR image that doesn't look like a gaudy cartoon.

--------------
www.gpsbasecamp.com - Find Yourself Outdoors
 Post Number: 12
KStover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2012, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I’m hiking and come upon such a view it gives me a feeling of euphoria, at that moment life could not be any better. This would be one of those moments for me.

Very nice photo.

Keith
 Post Number: 13
kurt09 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2012, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is amazing! Do you have any of Washington or the Presidentials as you were going through?
 Post Number: 14
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry... my ears were ringing. Carry on.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 15
InactiveUser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to be doing some IR photography of some cool places this summer :) Never done HDR :/ I need a new camera, I am thinking either 7D or 5D Mark II

Depending on where you live, I currently have a 400D or a Rebel XTi
 Post Number: 16
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 8:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

incredible

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 17
wkncrocks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2012, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

an amazing capture. nice work with the hdr, what program did you use to process it?
 Post Number: 18
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Holly $&@! What a cool pic!!!!
 Post Number: 19
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2012, 1:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice!

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
18 replies since Dec. 13 2011, 1:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt Katahdin - HDR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions