2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Green Cascadia in NW Oregon, camping and hiking trips around Mt. Hood< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Rkoscik Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2012, 2:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello!  I have a bunch of photos (and stories) of my camp trips in the NW Oregon Cascade Mountains.  Please check out my blog at www.greencascadia.blogspot.com
Thank you, I hope you find them enjoyable.

--------------
www.greencascadiaguides.com
www.greencascadia.blogspot.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2012, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck to you on your business venture.  I peeked at your site and followed a couple of links.  Kudos for being an historian and doing volunteer trail work.    I often follow the old Skyline Trail in the Three Sisters Wilderness and wish more of it were maintained, however I will not be lobbying Senator Wyden to allow you to use chainsaws in the new wilderness.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for the nice words!  I may have met you a few years ago at Demaris Lake in 3 Sisters.  You told me and my daughter about some lovely hidden meadows (assuming you are the same guy...)

however I will not be lobbying Senator Wyden to allow you to use chainsaws in the new wilderness.

Chainsaws are definitely a personal preference.  They are loud and smelly and really don't have much place in wilderness.  However, the USFS no longer maintains trails in the Mount Hood National Forest except for the most traveled trails.  Most of the volunteers that clear our annual jungle are retired, and the small handful of guys just can't do the required work with crosscut saws.  
Personally, I think we can do with a couple less foreign wars and put that money to better use back home, fixing our public lands after many years of neglect.
FWIW I don't own a chainsaw.  They are too big and noisy for my idea of a wilderness day, but I do see their importance.  You would not believe the amount of blowdown in just one year, or the impenetrable rhododendron hell...but that is what makes the Cascades truly special.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Plopster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2012, 3:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow stunning photos thank you, theres something about the forests in USA that  i really miss, you dont get those kinds of trees here

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2012, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey thanks for the  nice words!  I put a lot of work and thought into photography.  Nature is notoriously difficult to photograph, especially in the deep forest where bright sunlight freaks out the camera.

I grew up in Chicago and always lamented the lack of forests and wilderness in that part of the world.  Nothing against the Midwest, it is a marvelous place of course.  However, it is no longer wild and that would not do for me.
I settled in Portland because of the forests.  In my opinion there are no greater forests in the world.  Imagine a 10,000 year old plus intact ecosystem, it is quite spectacular.

What part of the world are you in?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics and blog(?). Well done.
5 replies since Jan. 12 2012, 2:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Green Cascadia in NW Oregon
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions