2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Afghanistan, 2012/2013 from Helmand< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ArmedFerret Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 6:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dust in the summer makes for some incredible opportunities.  I'm nowhere remotely even close to semi-pro or anything, just a guy who likes taking pics sometimes.

One unbelievably clear night got me this:

A friend sent me a fun hat.

Not much of anything.  Anywhere.

We do have some mountains a ways off, but it's often so dusty a decent photo is rather tough to get.  I'll keep trying; this is the best I've managed to come up with so far.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wild man...it seems like a whole other planet on that end of the world.  Thanks for your service!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 3
Themadstork91 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome pictures! That first one looks as pro as it gets. Keep em coming
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FNG's...

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for sharing your pics!  'Pro' is overrated  Your pics are great!!

Hard to imagine that Afghanistan used to be hippie haven.  I wanna go there (but not for that reason).  Someday, God willing...

Take good care, and stay safe!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, thanks for the pics, do you have more !!!

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 13 2013, 8:03 pm)
Wow, thanks for the pics, do you have more !!!

My read is that our man ArmedFerret is stationed in Helmand -- so we can look forward to more.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 6:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

jim, you shush.  :p

Captured guns:

Me getting some time in on the fiddy:

Woman in combat...apparently EOD never got the memo she wasn't "supposed to be".  :p

This was...kind of a dare.

Some of the family:

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

we did this today:

Souvenir!!

Post Number: 10
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for you pictures, and your service for us all. Why blow up a plane? Hope you and your buddies stay safe.
 Post Number: 11
Roscue2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 3:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great photos ferret. but why blow up the plane. Cool though.
 Post Number: 12
Addison Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow great photos... I love this all this stuff.. but how about Afghanistan? Is it a good country? I mean about the visiting places.. I heard that the mostly area is on mountains and desert... but you got really nice shots.. thanks for sharing.
 Post Number: 13
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like Nevada.

Thank you soldier.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 14
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, sad way for a Herc to end it's life...  But better we do it than someone else...  Stay safe over there!

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 15
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for your service. I mean it.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 16
hikernks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That moon picture is awesome!  I wish I'd had a really good camera while I was there.  I don't know about where you're at, but our FOB was red-light only, and there were no man-made lights anywhere near-by (Mehtar Lam, Laghman Prov.).  The moon was so bright you could read by it.  I've never experienced anything like it.

--------------
"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil."  Thomas Paine, Common Sense
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Addison @ Mar. 25 2013, 12:00 pm)
Wow great photos... I love this all this stuff.. but how about Afghanistan? Is it a good country? I mean about the visiting places.. I heard that the mostly area is on mountains and desert... but you got really nice shots.. thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't exactly consider it for your next vacation, if that's what you're asking.

It's a neat place, incredibly rich in history and scenery, but tourism became a bad idea starting in December of 1979.  I can't remember the link at the moment, but I stumbled across photos from someone who was there in the 1960's and the country was light-years ahead then of where it is now.  It's beyond tragic....no thanks to the Taliban and their iron-fisted middle-ages rule after the soviets left in early '89.

If you're not there as part of the .mil, it's still a war zone.  Best left to those trained in dealing with such environments.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hard to imagine, but Kabul was actually a popular destination for European hippies in the '60s and '70s.  Party stopped abruptly in 1979, as ArmedFerret mentioned above.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
cctroupe11 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 4:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ferret, you're EOD? I'm 12B (combat engineer). Just got in the Stan, doing route clearance north of Kandahar a little ways. Mind if I pick your brain?
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was assigned to 'em, but I'm not a tech.  Learned a goodly bit though; toward the end I took part in the "see how many (fake) IED's we can get in the XO's office without him realizing it" games.  Hilarity like no other.  The smoke detector with the photo-sensor arming switch and RC detonation was my favorite. :D
 Post Number: 21
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 01 2013, 11:57 pm)
Hard to imagine, but Kabul was actually a popular destination for European hippies in the '60s and '70s.  Party stopped abruptly in 1979, as ArmedFerret mentioned above.

Those were the days! I remember seeing buses from the cross-country trip letting off in Kathmandu - whew, a hard, hard trip.

Thanks for your service Sgt Ferret.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
creektrails Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Enjoyed your pics. in reverse order 1 Moon on clear night. awesome 2 sunset in the haze.  awesomer 3 chick firing off a .50 awesomest. DO NOT MESS WITH HER :-)
 Post Number: 23
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you both for sharing pics of Afghanistan. Aside form the war, it doesn't look like a place I'd want to visit  :p

A big heartfelt thanks to all the men and women in the military  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 24
bluebydesign Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome pics!!! Thank you for your service. Be safe.
23 replies since Feb. 13 2013, 6:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Afghanistan
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions