2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 812345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's in YOUR dehydrator?, Yep. It's that time of year again!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 4:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got inspired this morning and last night and decided to run the dehydrator. I'm sponsoring not one, but TWO hikers this year, so I'll need lots and lots of yummy goodness... And I especially needed to restock the veggie mix.

Currently drying away... One tray each of:

Tomatoes
zucchini/yellow squash (4 total, they were small)
carrots and celery
canned pumpkin
kale
canned artichoke hearts (2 cans, drained and chopped)
bell pepper (about 3, they were small)

Stay tunned for more recipes...

btw, Nature Boy, I would have done bamboo shoots, but I don't have any in the house. I put them on the grocery list. :)

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
GrinchNH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Past few weeks I have done about 10 pounds of natural brown rice. I bought a real rice cooker/steamer so now my brown rice comes out perfect just about every time.

--------------
GrinchMT

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles. - Anne Frank
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GrinchNH @ Feb. 06 2009, 2:49 pm)
Past few weeks I have done about 10 pounds of natural brown rice. I bought a real rice cooker/steamer so now my brown rice comes out perfect just about every time.

Awesome!!  Do you have plans for all that rice??

I'm going hiking tomorrow, but I think I will run it again on Sunday. I have some quinoa salad ideas I want to test out.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
NeverLostOftenLate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been piling up the sweet potatoe and Brocoli inventories - tis really amazing the volume and weight reduction of cooked dehydrated brocoli, and quick too.

Question: What's the advantage of cooking and Dehydrating rice versus buying 'minute' type rice?
 Post Number: 5
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(NeverLostOftenLate @ Feb. 06 2009, 2:57 pm)
I've been piling up the sweet potatoe and Brocoli inventories - tis really amazing the volume and weight reduction of cooked dehydrated brocoli, and quick too.

Question: What's the advantage of cooking and Dehydrating rice versus buying 'minute' type rice?

Nutrition mostly.

You'll get a better product (nutritionally) if you cook your own at home and dehydrate it. You are really  just making instant rice. The store bought stuff is more processed (but I still use it).

--------------
 Post Number: 6
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need to get mine down. I got lazy and went on a buying spree this year :D It is just sooo easy when the nice Fed Ex man brings me packages from Packit :D

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 7
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PS: I do cook and dry Jasmine rice.....it is what I prefer :) And I can only dream of finding commercially ready instant Jasmine rice :D

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dicentra @ Feb. 06 2009, 3:55 pm)
Awesome!!  Do you have plans for all that rice??

We use some of it for meals and lunches around the house. Alot of it is budgeted for a Long Trail thru0hike in June for me and the kid. Rest of it later in the summer on the CDT. Have a 25 pound bag of the stuff...  :p

--------------
GrinchMT

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles. - Anne Frank
 Post Number: 9
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lol....I am still using up a 50 lb bag of Jasmine rice. Not that I was stock piling or anything :p :D

--------------
 Post Number: 10
LaurieAnn Search for posts by this member.
gourmet adventurer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

as we speak....

bamboo rice

blackberries

kiwi fruit

the benefit of drying your own rice is that you can get types of rice not commercially available... like the Jasmine Rice sarbar mentioned or the bamboo rice I am currently drying.

--------------
My cookbooks: A Fork in the Trail & Another Fork in the Trail
 Post Number: 11
foggy Search for posts by this member.
There's no place like home

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found racks at Cabellas that fit my dehydrator, so I have two new racks in my dehydrator....now I need to find time to dry some food....Time is a rare commodity these days....work, sleep, eat, chores, etc....not enough time to do anything it seems.

--------------
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LaurieAnn @ Feb. 06 2009, 4:57 pm)
or the bamboo rice I am currently drying.

I think my wife makes that for her Sushi. Isn't that the green stuff? I'm not all that fond of it myself but she likes it. We all like Jasmine but brown rice is the staple for us.

--------------
GrinchMT

Post Number: 13
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, bamboo is the green stuff! And it is a sticky rice....

--------------
 Post Number: 14
trailhead Search for posts by this member.
alpine junkie

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2009, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have nuthin' in my dehydrator right now. I still have last years!
Errr, hope it's still good.

--------------
In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer. ~Albert Camus
 Post Number: 15
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2009, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(trailhead @ Feb. 06 2009, 8:34 pm)
I have nuthin' in my dehydrator right now. I still have last years!
Errr, hope it's still good.

I still have a lot of last years stuff too.

Doing a restock mostly... needed veggie mix, quinoa (that's sunday's project), beans... I'll do chicken soon too.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2009, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ROUND 2!!

2 trays of broccoli slaw (the stuff in the bags at the store)
2 trays quinoa
1 tray artichoke hearts
1 tray white beans (two cans)
1 tray peanut sauce (from a jar, TJ's)
1 tray red pepper eggplant dip/spread (from a jar, TJ's)

More planned for tomorrow!!

--------------
 Post Number: 17
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2009, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well we're going backpacking in 2 weeks, so I'm about to fish mine out. On my list to dry:

Onions
Green Peppers
Scallions
Pasta
Fruit leather

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 18
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2009, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(VAN @ Feb. 07 2009, 6:37 pm)
Well we're going backpacking in 2 weeks, so I'm about to fish mine out. On my list to dry:

Onions
Green Peppers
Scallions
Pasta
Fruit leather

Just don't do the fruit leather with the onions! LOL. :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 19
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2009, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing's in mine right now ... I am eating all the broccoli I can grow!  :)  I am waiting for the crawfish to come down in price, as they usually do in the spring, so I can make some cream of crawfish soup.  Yum!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 20
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2009, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dicentra @ Feb. 07 2009, 9:41 pm)
Just don't do the fruit leather with the onions! LOL. :cool:

Ya I'll do the fruit leather first, like all 4 trays of it. I made a lot last time with ease because of applesauce.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 21
hikingodS Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2009, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My question is, where did I put my Nesco?  Time to get it down to start on food for my AZ trip.

Di-- what do you do with your Broccoli cole slaw?
 Post Number: 22
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2009, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingodS @ Feb. 07 2009, 8:39 pm)
Di-- what do you do with your Broccoli cole slaw?

I think I'm just going to use it in my veggie mix (think soup base) For some reason it jumped in my cart at the store today.

A broccoli-cheese-rice dish sounds good too...

Whoa boy does that stuff shrink down though!

--------------
 Post Number: 23
MississippiRob Search for posts by this member.
Resident Cryptozoologist

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2009, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A pasta with meatless crumbles, tomatoes, zucchini and spinach dish and some tofu (yuck) asian dish.

--------------
Its been said that only the good die young...by my calculations I should live forever.
 Post Number: 24
dmwinch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2009, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made a no-pork meat loaf last night that nobody but me liked (probably because there was no pork in it).  I'm going to crumble it and dry it today, and use it like dried ground beef.

--------------
The sun is shining, it must be August.
 Post Number: 25
nic Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2009, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm using my trays to air dry sourdough starter right now.

Need to do some more celery - used alot in soups over the winter.

--------------
Climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, and cry less.
 Post Number: 26
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2009, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dmwinch @ Feb. 08 2009, 7:19 am)
I made a no-pork meat loaf last night that nobody but me liked (probably because there was no pork in it).  I'm going to crumble it and dry it today, and use it like dried ground beef.

That sounds really good!!

Nic, I need to do celery too.

Okay, I'm on Round 3!! (I need about 100 meals for sponsorship food this year. Getting busy early.)

2 trays carrots
1 tray zucchini
2 trays quinoa (I cooked the whole freaking box yesterday)
1 tray miso paste (that one is an experiment. Oh if that works I will be a happy girl!!!)

--------------
 Post Number: 27
LaurieAnn Search for posts by this member.
gourmet adventurer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2009, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Today I am drying African Chicken Stew, Quinoa Soup and Minestrone.

--------------
My cookbooks: A Fork in the Trail & Another Fork in the Trail
 Post Number: 28
Lorax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2009, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(NeverLostOftenLate @ Feb. 06 2009, 5:57 pm)

Sweet potatoes?

What do you use them for  and how do you dehydrate them? It sounds interesting.
 Post Number: 29
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2009, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

( Lorax @ Feb. 08 2009, 11:41 am)

(NeverLostOftenLate @ Feb. 06 2009, 5:57 pm)

Sweet potatoes?

What do you use them for  and how do you dehydrate them? It sounds interesting.

I did a thread and a blog post on them awhile back... You can use them like instant mashed potatoes. Season them however you'd like.

Lemme see if I can find the forum posts...

ETA: Here ya go. Sweet Potatoes!

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Lorax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2009, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you very much, Di!  :)
235 replies since Feb. 06 2009, 4:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 812345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's in YOUR dehydrator?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions