2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: freeze dried meat co-op< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2010, 10:32 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As we were discussing the chicken in the other thread, I have had an idea.  Contact me via PM if you are interested.

As a nonprofit service to this community, I am willing to buy the cans from Provident Pantry, seal them into small vacuum bags, and ship them to anyone.  They will need to add them to their meals and add the water in a different bag, as i am not sure how you close a vacuum bag back up later.  If I was carrying a FBC meal anyway, and just wanted to add the meat, I would toss it in the ziplock.  If someone wants a bigger bag, I suppose that is possible.

At present time, I see the chicken costing $7.50 for 2 servings, shipped.  $7 even for 2 servings of the ground beef.  According to the site, theses are 1/2 cup servings.  If there need be any adjustments later, I will figure that out then.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2010, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After this gets rolling, I could see adding other meats and veggies.  Let's stay with the chicken and ground beef for this Summer.  Next year will be determined by this year's responses, unless someone else wants to do the additional choices.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2010, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now that I have the portions all vacu bagged up, I think the cost is appropriate.  Each portion is slightly more than 1/2 cup.  I weighed them on my scale to insure even distribution.  I will send them anywhere in the US for the cost mentioned above, $7.50 for 2 servings of chicken, $7 for 2 serving of ground beef.  I will need at least a week notice, more if you order while I am gone.  

--------------

Post Number: 4
Pritch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2010, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a great idea, but. . .  Wouldn't you opening the can contaminate the food or at least expose it to oxygen, requiring immediate use or refrigeration?  

(Maybe being freeze dried is different than other sealed foods.  

Thanks
 Post Number: 5
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2010, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I opened the can, and separated it into single serving vacuum pacs.  I then dropped those vacuum pacs into the freezer.  I am confident they will last more than 1 season, but will not send any off to others that are not same season packages.  I will use the older ones my self.

Now, this year I have ground beef and chicken.  Subsequent years I might have enough people wanting portions that I can offer ham or some other additional product.  

--------------

Post Number: 6
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2010, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The burger sometimes disappears in the meal, and it is a bit like dust at times.  Therefore, I do not recommend it unless you are OK with that.  This next year, I am comfortable with adding Ham, and if there are enough requests, I will add a vegetable, like corn or green beans.  Seems to me, those do OK in my dehydrator, so buying them freeze-dried has less appeal to me.  

--------------

Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2010, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zeke--peas might be a good one for the freeze-dried co-op.  Home-dried peas are hard and don't rehydrate well, but the FD kind come back instantly just like they were.  Amazon sells vast tubs of them from Just Veggies at a reasonable price.

I would agree about dropping hamburger--home-dried works so well, it doesn't seem worth it.  Ham and peas. . . I might buy in for those (my boys LOVE ham).  
--Rebecca

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2010, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could see adding Just Veggies, and Just Peas for that price.    I can package them the same way, in 1 oz vacuum bags, and still offer them,shipped, for $1.50 a serving.  Ham will be  2 servings for $8, shipped.  If I get  break on the price when I order, I will happily pass it on.  

--------------

Post Number: 9
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2010, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have found a good source for the just Veggies.  It has corn, peas, jalapeno mixed veggies, regular mixed veggies, and some other things I will make a better note of for future postings.  

--------------

Post Number: 10
XStrec Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2011, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't have any problem with your burger.  Yea, it tends to disappear into mashed potatoes, but is still good.

I will be looking for more chicken, ham would be great, and corn as soon as the snow starts melting here in WI.

:cool:

--------------
Coffee, more coffee!
 Post Number: 11
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2011, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Price Sheet for 2011

chicken               $3.75 per serving
grd beef                3.50
ham                      4.00
sausage crumbles   3.50
corn                        1.50
peas                       1.50
mixed veggies         1.50
jalapeno mixed veg  1.50

other items can be added if enough interest is shown.  Keep in mind, the beef crumbles sometimes disappear into the recipe / potatoes.  

This is food from Provident Pantry shipped to my house.  I then package it into single servings in vacuum bags and ship it to your house.  Shipping is included in the per serving price.  Very little profit in this for me, but a service I am willing to provide.

--------------

Post Number: 12
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2011, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zeke--what is the ham like--strips, or little chunks, or what?  That and sausage. . . you could make my boys very happy!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2011, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will have it in my hands in a week, but the website says it is diced and then freeze dried.  I would take this to be very small, like the sausage pellets.  

Don't forget the peas.  :)

--------------

Post Number: 14
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2011, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got the peas with a gift card I had for a shi-shi grocery store, so I'm good for a while on them.  But ham and sausage--how do I place an order?

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2011, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Send me a PM with what you want.  If you prefer a particular method of payment, say so in the PM.  I can take Paypal, checks, money orders, most anything.  If it is Paypal, you will need to add in the fees so it doesn't come out of my end.   If your bank is registered to your paypal acct, there is a newish ability to pay with a check from there with no fees.

--------------

Post Number: 16
jimqpublic Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2011, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zeke-

Have you tried the ham yet?  Also did you consider the roast beef?

I'm planning a two-week trip in July and will contact you once I've planned my meals.

Thanks,
Jim
 Post Number: 17
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2011, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ham is not in my hands yet.  I did receive a shipping notice today, so it should be here soon.  Same with the sausage crumbles.

I am filling orders as I can.  Those on backorder will be filled before new orders.  Fed Ex claims it will deliver the goods on Saturday, the 9th.  We'll see.

--------------

Post Number: 18
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2011, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All product is in my hands now.  The ham rehydrates really well.  Comes back firm, and pink.  Tastes good!

--------------

Post Number: 19
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2011, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All back orders are now shipped.  Any further orders will go out when I get back from Mexico.  I leave Friday, to return after a bit more than a week.  

--------------

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2011, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got my order, thanks.

Corn and veggies look great.  Should help out my instant potato meals.

Sausage I'll try in my MH eggs, and one in an oatmeal.

Could you list the extra water needed for the servings?

Thanks again

--------------
Coffee, more coffee!
 Post Number: 21
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2011, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would add 4 ounces of water to your freeze dried meats to rehydrate them before using them in a recipe.  Cold works fine, just takes longer.  If I am using the veggies or meat in a meal, I just add 2-3 extra ounces of hot water to the meal. I have no directions on the veggie packages to tell me how much water, but they claim to be a 4 ounce worth serving, or in the case of the mixed veggies, a 5 ounce serving.

--------------

Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2011, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A follow up from last weekends food tasting.

The mixed veggies are the best.  I did a creamy chicken Ramin with the FD mixed veggie, FD chicken and borrowed some dehy onion and celery.  FB style. I could eat this at home.

FD chicken and FD corn with instant potatoes was much better with the corn.

Ham was good, but I think I will rehydrate it first next time.  I may not have added enough water, so some were a little chewey, but good flavor.

Most people will like the sauage crumbles.  I'm not a fan of most sausage,  so the fact that I didn't really like it means it was probably very good. ???

Thanks again,

--------------
Coffee, more coffee!
 Post Number: 23
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2011, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice report.  I thought the ham might need to be hydrated earlier, but had not tried to hydrate it with a meal.  Glad you liked the mixed veggies.  I really like the hot ones, mixed with jalapenos.  

--------------

Post Number: 24
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Price Sheet for 2012

chicken               $3.75 per serving
grd beef                3.50
ham                      4.00
sausage crumbles   3.50

Grd beef still is a bit dusty, and may blend in too well.  I  can find a few veggies if it is desired, but it may be as easy for you to find them at local stores.

This is food from Provident Pantry shipped to my house.  I then package it into single servings in vacuum bags and ship it to your house.  Shipping is included in the per serving price.  Very little profit in this for me, but a service I am willing to provide.

I have added Paypal to my list of ways to pay for this, so the new season is upon us.  if you are interested, PM me.

--------------

Post Number: 25
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2012, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bump

--------------

Post Number: 26
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You still got chicken. Sent you a PM

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 27
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This would be a great idea but I was told by Mountain House that once the product is exposed to air it has just a 2-week shelf life even if re-sealed.

I was going to buy a vacuum sealer and some cans of FD meat, but because I wouldn't use it all in 2 weeks, I gave up on the idea.
 Post Number: 28
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Sep. 10 2012, 6:26 pm)
This would be a great idea but I was told by Mountain House that once the product is exposed to air it has just a 2-week shelf life even if re-sealed.

I was going to buy a vacuum sealer and some cans of FD meat, but because I wouldn't use it all in 2 weeks, I gave up on the idea.

I suspect that is a CYA answer on their part.

Looks like the shelf life is all over the place when you look at various site that sell it in #10 cans

I found 1 month refrigerated to 6-12 months

Estimated Shelf Life (Opened Container): 6-12 Month
http://www.thereadystore.com/saratog....-10-can

If I don't hear from ol-zeke soon I'll order a can

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 29
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Sep. 12 2012, 9:49 am)
If I don't hear from ol-zeke soon I'll order a can

I believe he just returned from a 10 day hike, give him a few to catch up :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 30
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for covering for me Van.  I just returned home at 6 PM Thursday, yesterday.  I have sent eggs a message about stock.

--------------

30 replies since May 30 2010, 10:32 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply freeze dried meat co-op
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions