2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Nutella bad for you< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2012, 7:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There was an article in our local paper the other say about how Nutella and other hazelnut spreads are not that good for you as they be lead you to believe.  If you look at the ingredients the first one listed by amount is sugar and the second is palm oil. both not good for you. The article (which I failed to cut out) said you just eat only about a spoonful. My wife got a kick out of it as a couple of her coworkers will sit and eat Nutella by the spoonfuls at work.

I know a lot of people on here eat it. I just tried it for the first time while on vacation in Mexico last week and it tastes great as it's like eating chocolate frosting.

I looked at the nutritional labels for Nutella and compared it to Creamy SKippy Peanut butter. Nutella has 21 Grams of sugar and PB has only 3 Grams. WOW.
No wonder it tastes like frosting.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too bad it has so much sugar.. I think it ruins the flavor n wish it came in a plain instead.

I like Almond butter as my peanut substitute but miss good old Skippy or Jiff super crunch.

--------------
 Post Number: 3
cahiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try Justins chocolate hazelnut butter.  The first two ingredients are dry roasted hazelnuts and dry roasted almonds.  7g of sugar per 2 tablespoon serving.  Very tasty too.

http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/products.php
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Jan. 22 2012, 5:44 pm)
No wonder it tastes like frosting.

I guess I didn't realize this was news.

Nutella is 3-4 parts chocolate frosting per 1 part hazelnut butter.  Always has been.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
kykcamper Search for posts by this member.
^ that stands for kayak

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are eating it for health, it is bad for you.

If you are eating it for calories on the trail, it is probably pretty good for you.

--------------
Psylocide - "Well... on one side you have uneducated red necks and on the other you have pseudo-intelligent hippy liberal douches."
Paulbrown - "a deck of cards is heavier than many admit, will you really use them? consider replacing with a plastic bottle filled with booze."
 Post Number: 6
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh.

Everything is bad for you. There's carcinogens in my tap water.

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
 Post Number: 7
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lol...of course it isn't health food :p But it is darn tasty. (And yes, the Justin's version is VERY good and nowhere as sweet).

Should I mention that I use Nutella as a middle cake layer? It IS a dessert IMO.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kykcamper @ Jan. 24 2012, 12:05 pm)
If you are eating it for health, it is bad for you.

If you are eating it for calories on the trail, it is probably pretty good for you.

This, definitely.

12 days out on a long trip, I'd eat a whole jar of the stuff in one sitting.  Guaranteed.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everything is bad for you. You're just not eating enough of it yet.

Your Munching May Vary.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find Nutella kind of disgusting anyway.  

Justin's, not so bad.  But I prefer my nut butters without sugar.  Then I can follow it with a hunk of chocolate if desired.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First time I ever saw Nutella was in Thirsk England...it was on the table along with Marmite...

Never could eat the Nutella but the Marmite as yecchy as it is ..I'll p/u a jar now and then..brings back good memories

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 12
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Btw, the German and other versions of like-Nutella product that you find in Europe are nowhere as sweet as the US Nutella. My husband brings them back for me when he travels that way.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 13
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2012, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 25 2012, 11:51 am)
First time I ever saw Nutella was in Thirsk England...it was on the table along with Marmite...

Never could eat the Nutella but the Marmite as yecchy as it is ..I'll p/u a jar now and then..brings back good memories

I had an Australian roomate during one of my bouts with college.  He got me started on Vegemite on rye toast.  Good stuff.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
Fiddleback Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Jan. 22 2012, 5:44 pm)
... If you look at the ingredients the first one listed by amount is sugar ... not good for you...

I think sugar is kinda neutral, neither good nor bad.  What may be 'bad' is how and how much is consumed.  http://caloriecount.about.com/sugar-facts-nf269

On the other hand, I couldn't get into Nutella when I lived in England, and I can't do it here either.  But My Lady thinks it's just fine. ???

FB

--------------
"All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
The Constitution of the State of Montana
 Post Number: 15
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2012, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jan. 25 2012, 3:35 pm)

I had an Australian roomate during one of my bouts with college.  He got me started on Vegemite on rye toast.  Good stuff.

There is something seriously wrong with you...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jan. 26 2012, 11:41 am)

That's what I was thinking! :laugh:

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 26 2012, 2:44 pm)

(Tigger @ Jan. 26 2012, 11:41 am)

That's what I was thinking! :laugh:

Yea, my list of "Won't eat" is pretty short.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 6:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

la la la la la la   Can't hear you!

Nutella is an Ultimate Good.

There shall be no blaspheming it's creamy deliciousness.
 Post Number: 19
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate to break another news flash, but oxygen is killing you.

Has been ever since you took your first breath, right out of the chute.

Every liter of oxygen you ingest is one liter closer to death, and the only way to escape this disaster, it to not to be born.

Now, could you please pass the Knob Creek??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 20
DonnaWalken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 2:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, Nutella tastes great. But as a rule, I always say "all things in moderation." Overdo it and you begin killing yourself. I think that'd apply to my Nutella intake as well :)
 Post Number: 21
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did anyone actually think Nutella was good for you? I mean really, warm it up and you pretty much have hot fudge for a sundae. Sometimes I'm amazed these articles are serious. What's next, breaking news that chocolate cake isn't good for you?

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
20 replies since Jan. 22 2012, 7:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Nutella bad for you
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions