2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trader Joes What's good to get from there?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 8:56 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to be going to a city that has a Trader Joes store and was wondering what everyone reccomends to get there for out on the trail. D o they have some sort of fantastic trail mix or maybe some Thai food that works good for bping? Anyone have any reccomendations or suggestions?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stop in the nut and dried fruit aisle first - look for all the yummy stuff in there - like all the glazed nuts, the freeze-dried fruit in bags, single serving packs of cashews....just go through it slowly and take time to look at all the offerings!

Check out the jerky, the shelf stable meals (Indian and Thai), dried mushrooms and tomatoes...lots to look at!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Sarbar, That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I know everyone rants and raves about stuff from Trader Joes so I wanted to see what everyone recommends or is their favorite item. My Wife and I pretty much use all of your recipes exclusively when we are either bping or canoe camping. Keep up the good work with them!
 Post Number: 4
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 What Sarbar said about TJ dried fruit.  I eat a lot of their dried cranberries and trail mixes, although I usually add M&Ms to the trail mix.  They have a delicious assortment of dark chocolate goodies, especially the 72% dark chocolate bar.  If you like tortillas on the trail check out the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Tortillas, very nutty and they hold up better on a pack trip than wheat or corn.
 Post Number: 5
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The worst aisle (and by this I mean to ones butt and thighs, not taste wise) is the candy and cookies that line the freezer aisle. It is an orgasm of fat...lol!! That aisle is dangerous!

Btw, my oldest son loves their 6 packs of kettle potato chips that are large single serving bags. They are quite tasty! So is the caramel corn they sell.......

Oh and in the soup/broth area they sell the concentrated sticks of broth. Get those!!

--------------
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll second both the fruit--great to have weightless freeze-dried fruit!--and the broth sticks.  They have some tasty Asian noodle soups for 99cents, though they are annoyingly packed in plastic bowls.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have the  Swanson broth sticks/packets here at one of our local grocery stores. Although we've yet to try them out, we are thinking of trying them this year.
 Post Number: 8
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'll like the TJ sticks better most likely - they are lower in sodium!

--------------
 Post Number: 9
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TJ's is my source for inexpensive whole wheat couscous!

And dried fruit, nuts, exotic trail mix (we really enjoy the ones with the white chocolate bits and dried cranberries on them... I think they have sesame sticks in them too), as talked about above.

I haven't tried the broth sticks.  I may have to look into that.

Not backpacking food, but if you can find their dark chocolate truffles thata re dusted in cocoa powder, get them.  You won't regret it.  (I couldn't find them at Christmastime this year, boo hoo!)

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I are always looking for foods with low amounts of sugar as she can't have anything with more than 6 G of sugar due to medical problems. Plus I just plain don't need that much sugar or salt either. So we are always looking for diabetic type candy and foods with low sugars.
 Post Number: 11
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2012, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

~scribble~  

Rumors say that TJ's is coming to Boulder. I'm still waiting to see. Nothing has been released since January and the report say "they're most likely coming".

I'm still skeptical. Nothing has been put on TJ's "coming soon" page.

That said, I'll be thrilled if it comes. I miss so much about TJ's, including their freeze dried fruit!
 Post Number: 12
Highwater Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2012, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spokane just got one. I've been once. It's a whole foodies fantasy.

My son has traveled around and tells me that they have the absolutely best dumpsters anywhere. It's possible to live high on gourmet natural foods that get thrown away every day at Trader Joe's.

--------------
live modestly and prepare for inclement weather.
My Webpage Highwater Filters
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2012, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They just barely qualify as trail food, but I really love the TJ Ginger Cats cookies.  For an overnight (or a first or second night out), I'd also consider steaming one of their frozen shredded beef burritos.
 Post Number: 14
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2012, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kitty cookies! No kidding, the kids love those cookies :-D

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2012, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. We went to the one in West Des Moines, IA as  I was  out there doing two presentations ( Wilderness  First Aid and Leave No Trace) at Canoesport Outfitters Paddling and Peddling Sport Expo this weekend. Found all sorts of foods and wine we just couldn't live without. In fact we even went back a second time the next day after we looked  thru their sales flyer. Can't wait to try things. Having some excellant cheese and crackers from  there right now.
 Post Number: 16
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2012, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anything dark-chocolate covered... must keep away :)  Ok, not the best for backpacking but really tasty, especially the peanut butter cups and dark chocolate covered coffee beans

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 17
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 1:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 06 2012, 2:56 pm)
My wife and I are always looking for foods with low amounts of sugar as she can't have anything with more than 6 G of sugar due to medical problems. Plus I just plain don't need that much sugar or salt either. So we are always looking for diabetic type candy and foods with low sugars.

Alas, they haven't much there (I was looking at Xmas for something for my brother).  I did find sugar-free chocolate covered almonds.  Haven't remembered to ask him a) if he got any or if his 4 giant sons beat him out, and b) if they were good.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 18
hikerchick395 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish TJ's carried more sugar free items too.  I always pack up a box of stuff (a TJ's care package) to send to my mom and her husband a few times a year, but I can only include the chocolate covered almonds as far as sweets.  They really like them, though.

I love the broth packs, but my faves were the veggie and turkey and lately I've only seen chicken.

As I drift from the trail food theme...

The yummy Queso Cheese Dip is only 165 calories for the whole jar.  Besides dipping chips, fresh broccoli is good.  And at Christmastime, we had it hot over cooked cauliflower.  The Spicy Black Bean Dip is excellent, too.  We like to make diagonally sliced carrot chips to dip in that.

Candy subsitute for me is flat banana.

Love the wasabi seaweed!  Yum.  Good for a snack while driving.  

Although I happily indulge in the orgy of TJ's Christmas cookies, my cookies of choice the rest of the year are the tubs of organic animal crackers.

My favorite cheese anywhere is the less fat Celtic cheddar.

Too much more to mention...

My nearest Trader Joe's is 150 miles away, so I have to stock up when I travel.

--------------
"life's like an hourglass, glued to the table"--Anna Nalick, Breathe
 Post Number: 19
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 12 2012, 5:50 pm)
Thanks for all the comments and ideas. We went to the one in West Des Moines, IA as  I was  out there doing two presentations ( Wilderness  First Aid and Leave No Trace) at Canoesport Outfitters Paddling and Peddling Sport Expo this weekend. Found all sorts of foods and wine we just couldn't live without. In fact we even went back a second time the next day after we looked  thru their sales flyer. Can't wait to try things. Having some excellant cheese and crackers from  there right now.

I was there yesterday by accident. It was in the area that the wife wanted to go for another store. It seems pretty good. I did stare at the trail mix, fruit, nut aisle. I tried to find more rice and pasta ingredients, but didn't find much. Probably not in the right area or something. Wish I knew that we were going to the store, I would have made a list and checked it twice. Maybe next year when I am down there.
 Post Number: 20
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CampinCarl @ Feb. 13 2012, 1:43 pm)
Anything dark-chocolate covered... must keep away :)  Ok, not the best for backpacking but really tasty, especially the peanut butter cups and dark chocolate covered coffee beans

+1 for the dark chocolate PB cups,
WAY better than Reese's!

-TJ's Tuscane Pane (SP?) bread is awesome and affordable.
-Cheeses galore
-Spicy hummus
-Organic white corn tortilla chips
-Fresh mango salsa
-Pub cheese spread with jalapeños
-TJ's french vanilla ice cream
-Mango or raspberry sorbet bars
-TJ's canned diced tomatoes with peppers
 Post Number: 21
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

chili powder coated dried mango.  a-maz-ing

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 22
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just found these dark chocolate covered mango/coconut bites (3 = 200 calories!). New product. Soooooo good.

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
 Post Number: 23
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you live in Maryland or Virginia you have got to try Mom's Organic Market. Wide variety of yummy and backpacking friendly foods.

http://www.momsorganicmarket.com/

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 24
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Feb. 12 2012, 10:30 am)
~scribble~  

Rumors say that TJ's is coming to Boulder. I'm still waiting to see. Nothing has been released since January and the report say "they're most likely coming".

I'm still skeptical. Nothing has been put on TJ's "coming soon" page.

That said, I'll be thrilled if it comes. I miss so much about TJ's, including their freeze dried fruit!

http://www.traderjoes.com/stores/coming-soon.asp

Hopefully the wait will be over soon.  I'm waiting for the Denver store.  From what I remember the Denver store was to be on 8th and Colorado and the Boulder store around 29th and Baseline or something like that.  
Going along with the others....the nut and fruit isle is great.  I'm sure the store as a whole will loose its appeal after its in town for awhile though.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OverUnder @ Feb. 20 2013, 6:12 am)
 I'm sure the store as a whole will loose its appeal after its in town for awhile though.

I don't know,
The stores in Ca. have been going strong for 25 or so years that I can remember.  The first store in my town got so busy that they eventually opened two more several years ago.  Now all three stores do a good deal of business.

They sell good products at reasonable prices.  Those qualities don't lose appeal, IMO.
 Post Number: 26
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Their own Distinqt brand Reposado tequila.
Amazingly good for only $20/bottle.
 Post Number: 27
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure the store as a whole will loose its appeal after its in town for awhile though.

Sorry, drying the tears away. From laughter. Yeah, that doesn't happen. TJ's is a cult. It only gets busier and busier and busier. The one I go to, in Issaquah, Wa - it moved recently. To a bigger location.
Partly why it does so well is they change items often. They are not stagnant, they offer a high end product at a good price and it moves.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(okmtbr @ Feb. 20 2013, 9:13 am)
Their own Distinqt brand Reposado tequila.
Amazingly good for only $20/bottle.

ooooo!
I haven't tried that yet, thanks for the tip.
 Post Number: 29
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Feb. 20 2013, 1:09 pm)

Sorry, drying the tears away. From laughter. Yeah, that doesn't happen. TJ's is a cult. It only gets busier and busier and busier.

Yeah, there's been one here for years. I think my own blown budget keeps at least one employee paid.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 30
Slack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great food at TJ's, they have so many great premade meals and good snacks. They make it easy for sure. The one near me is always a zoo.
31 replies since Feb. 06 2012, 8:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trader Joes What's good to get from there?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions