2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Low Sodium MH, where to buy?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WyattTrash Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012, 2:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read that mountain house is going to offer 3 or 4 low sodium freeze dried entrees in 2012.

has anyone seen these for sale on the shelf anywhere?

i would like to try out each type without buying a whole case.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
schmittdas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nope... that's why I make my own packets.  I may have to cook a bit more, but I control what's going in.

--------------
Swa = (a*Rw/(Phie^m)/Rt)^(1/n)
 Post Number: 3
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(schmittdas @ Feb. 11 2012, 5:57 pm)
nope... that's why I make my own packets.  I may have to cook a bit more, but I control what's going in.

+1

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Might show up here first:
http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5....de=MHDL
 Post Number: 5
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I might have to start fixing stuff up myself too. I dont worry tooo much about salt, I figure atleast on a hot summer hike our daily limit should be quite a bit higher than normal, but there is also a lot of other unhealthy stuff in the prepared meals. Since many on here recommended one particular brand I planned on trying them on my next trips and dont want to say anything bad about them yet but their ingredient list (while containing lots of good foods and spices) contains quite a lot of bad or debatable stuff. For example hydrogenated oils & trans fats, bleached flour, artifical flavor, sodium aluminum phosphate, bht, dipotassium phosphate etc etc. Is there no freeze dried trail food thats healthy?

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 6
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Adirondackiteer @ Feb. 14 2012, 11:33 am)
Is there no freeze dried trail food thats healthy?

Use freeze dried ingredients and make your own.

Problem solved.  :cool:

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
 Post Number: 7
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dicentra @ Feb. 14 2012, 11:03 am)

+1

+2

Long before the internet became popular, I was given the book "Hungry Hiker's Book of Good Cooking" by Gretchen McHugh in the '80's as a Christmas present and have never bought another "name brand" prepackaged meal since.

"Drying it and liking it since the 80's."

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 8
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once you make your own meals you never want to go back!!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 9
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 14 2012, 10:35 am)

(Dicentra @ Feb. 14 2012, 11:03 am)

+1

+2

Long before the internet became popular, I was given the book "Hungry Hiker's Book of Good Cooking" by Gretchen McHugh in the '80's as a Christmas present and have never bought another "name brand" prepackaged meal since.

"Drying it and liking it since the 80's."

I agree with all above.

That cookbook is one of the very best older cookbooks you can get for backpacking. We use it weekly it seems. She covers an amazing amount of ground from drying individual items to building your own dehydrator or explaining how to use your own oven for drying. She talks about cooking fires as well as vintage stoves. There are some great recipes. I even like the color of the paper and the story on the font she chose.

There are a few other good old cookbooks for backpacking published in the mid-70s too, The Well-Fed Backpacker by June Fleming. She has an approach that is very good for making an almost endless list of intuitive meals and recipes. She calls it her One Liner meals.

Another decent mid-70s backpacking cookbook is Simple Foods for the Pack. With cozy pot cooking one can use things like rice and red lentils and only boil them for a couple of minutes.

Add the advice and recipes of the resident cooking experts here and you really don't have to consume anything you have not made up with all known ingredients by yourself.
 Post Number: 10
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only shortcut I take is to get freeze dried precooked scrambled eggs to add to instant potatoes for breakfast.

Blech, not egg tasting at all. Just some variety that has protein. Light tho.

Couscous, dehydrated leftovers and Harmony House for the win!

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Adirondackiteer @ Feb. 14 2012, 2:33 pm)
I might have to start fixing stuff up myself too. I dont worry tooo much about salt, I figure atleast on a hot summer hike our daily limit should be quite a bit higher than normal, but there is also a lot of other unhealthy stuff in the prepared meals. Since many on here recommended one particular brand I planned on trying them on my next trips and dont want to say anything bad about them yet but their ingredient list (while containing lots of good foods and spices) contains quite a lot of bad or debatable stuff. For example hydrogenated oils & trans fats, bleached flour, artifical flavor, sodium aluminum phosphate, bht, dipotassium phosphate etc etc. Is there no freeze dried trail food thats healthy?

If you're lazy like me, try Hawk Vittles.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 12
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 16 2012, 1:49 pm)
If you're lazy like me, try Hawk Vittles.

Yeah I do want to try them. I am suspicious of their ingredients list, thinking it isnt showing all the little extras. But will definitely give them a try, they are one that comes up here from time to time.

I would like to cook, but I admit to either being lazy, or not smart enough to prepare stuff ahead of time, or wanting to carry less weight. I just got a whitebox stove and a GSI Ketalist so plan on mainly doing instant type stuff that I just pour water into the bag. I would later like to get a pot I can do baking in though, muffins and breads look delicious from the pics I have seen (and everything tastes even better on a mountain, of course).

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 13
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Feb. 16 2012, 6:25 am)
On old cookbooks? This is my collection (yep, I own all of these and am always adding more!)
http://blog.trailcooking.com/trail-library/

Day-um! That's awesome. You have a bunch of mid-70s books and so much more in that extensive list. Very impressive.
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just make your own like others have suggested. My  wife and I make all of our own meals up using various recipes as she can't have anything with over 6 grams of sugar in them. A lot of the MH and other brands are very high not only in salt but also sugar. So we just make our own dehydrated  meals, at least we know  whatis in them that way.
 Post Number: 15
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Arizona @ Feb. 16 2012, 12:14 pm)

(sarbar @ Feb. 16 2012, 6:25 am)
On old cookbooks? This is my collection (yep, I own all of these and am always adding more!)
http://blog.trailcooking.com/trail-library/

Day-um! That's awesome. You have a bunch of mid-70s books and so much more in that extensive list. Very impressive.

I have a list I am looking for - real hard to find titles :) Someday I will have 'em all! :D

--------------
 Post Number: 16
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Feb. 14 2012, 6:57 pm)
Once you make your own meals you never want to go back!!

Eacatly. Just the thought of eating that salt block they call a meal makes me pucker up. bleech.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 17
WyattTrash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2012, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks to High_Sierra_Fan for at least trying to answer my question.

i will have to keep an eye out at the backpacking stores.
 Post Number: 18
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am sure they will show up eventually........but I am not waiting excited for them :p

--------------
 Post Number: 19
happy hookr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd be curious as to what MH considers low sodium...The new entrees are not listed under the nutrician tables on the MH site, as of yet...

--------------
...These universal unknowables are not right or wrong or black or white — but they are indeed grey and sharp and the color of cigarette smoke wafting from the wisdom of your elders — if you’re smart enough, while being dumb enough, to allow the lessons to wash over you...
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2012, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WyattTrash @ Feb. 22 2012, 12:31 pm)
thanks to High_Sierra_Fan for at least trying to answer my question.

i will have to keep an eye out at the backpacking stores.

They're now offering their low sodium Chicken Alfredo for purchase on their site.

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5....e=MHNEW

REI has the low sodium Rice with shrimp and ham:
http://m.rei.com/mt....and-ham
 Post Number: 21
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love how it is 2 1/2 servings.....yet the whole bag is under 600 calories - so lets call it what it is: ONE serving at 750 or so mg sodium. The "serving size" is done small so it comes under 300 mg per cup.....

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They've not really modified their "serving" size: it's a straight "1 cup" across their line as far as I can tell from a random poke at the REI pages for a variety of their entrees
http://www.rei.com/product....ervings

and the sodium is quite a bit reduced from their other offerings, 50% and more, which I expect is the point.
 Post Number: 23
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

True...but as I said - who eats "1 cup". Maybe a 100 lb woman....but not most men. They should call it a generous 1 person bag :p

I also hate how Mary Jane meals are 1 1/2 servings - really? Snort.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Mar. 12 2012, 9:44 am)
True...but as I said - who eats "1 cup". Maybe a 100 lb woman....but not most men. They should call it a generous 1 person bag :p

I also hate how Mary Jane meals are 1 1/2 servings - really? Snort.

Oh sure that aspect has always been silly. Maybe slightly excused on the off chance that people do multiple course meals out and about. Me? "One pot" meal means exactly that.

But evenso even fifty packs of the Chicken with have half or less the salt of fifty bags of the regular meals: that reduction doesn't change relatively speaking.

But of course with that fantasy "serving" thing, that's not a backpacking food exclusive: ever read a potato chip or Doritos bag? Quite the kidders they are. :)
 Post Number: 25
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol....no kidding. 1 ounce? Yeah right :D

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh and on a related note: As to why the OP?
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/salt-sodium

Though, as with most things, it's got complexity.
 Post Number: 27
happy hookr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yep, a 2 serving MH dinner is a normal serving for me after a day of hiking which of course means I'm eating twice the sodium content listed...which also leads me to this-  I wish online outfitters would show the back of the package so that I could see the numbers before buying...  as a diabetic, I need to see carbs as well.

--------------
...These universal unknowables are not right or wrong or black or white — but they are indeed grey and sharp and the color of cigarette smoke wafting from the wisdom of your elders — if you’re smart enough, while being dumb enough, to allow the lessons to wash over you...
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(happy hookr @ Mar. 12 2012, 4:50 pm)
yep, a 2 serving MH dinner is a normal serving for me after a day of hiking which of course means I'm eating twice the sodium content listed...which also leads me to this-  I wish online outfitters would show the back of the package so that I could see the numbers before buying...  as a diabetic, I need to see carbs as well.

REI lists that under "specs":
http://www.rei.com/product....ervings
 Post Number: 29
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As soon as I saw the "serving size" for the "reduced" sodium version, I had to LOL.

Yes it's lower in salt than their typical meals, (though most people call them inedible garbage)

I don't know anyone that splits theirs 2.5 ways. Most people eat the whole package and still want more.

So, you're still getting ~ 750 mg + per meal.

Dry your own, no misleading advertising.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are some MH entrees I don't care for but there are a fair number of others that are just fine for me.

On a related note did WeePak evaporate or change names or something? Even with all the presoaking and simmering they were a nice line of meals.
34 replies since Feb. 11 2012, 2:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Low Sodium MH, where to buy?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions