2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dehydrator comparison< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Idaho Bob Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2012, 9:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My big homemade dehydrator fell apart from being out in the weather too many years.  I am considering a countertop commercial dehydrator.  What kinds do you folks use, and how long would it take to dehydrate 10 small apples?

I bought a super cheap Ronco dehydrator at a thrift shop, and I'm testing it out.  It doesn't have a fan, but I put a decent sized fan under it and I'm giving it a test drive.  I sliced 10 small apples, and filled its 5 trays fairly lightly.  

What brands and models do others like?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2012, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you will find that Nesco is recommended frequently.  If you do a search in this forum on the word Nesco there are several older threads asking for suggestions and Nesco is mentioned often.  

That's what I have and I like it.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 3
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, I like my Nesco. It's the Snackmaster and I sort of wish I had a more powerful one.

It takes me about 8-10 hours to dehydrate chili and pasta sauce.

I did 5 apples in it last week (fills about 3 trays) and it took about 8 hours to get them where I wanted them.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2012, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My 10 small apples were not done in the evening, so I let it run overnight.  They were dry in the morning, at about 4-5% moisture and breakable  when bent, in the morning, so a total of 22 hours.  That is OK for apples, but for things that take a long time to dry, like cherries or berries, or for veggies where you want a quick dry time, that seems way too long.  

I guess the Ronco goes back to the thrift store.
 Post Number: 5
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a 9 tray Excalibur, 600 watt. Fan forced.

I've only dehy'd a some fruits a few times and jerky once but I have been very happy with it.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 6
dude608 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Started with a ronco myself.  It worked but like you said it took forever to dry things. Was always worried when drying meat.  Then I went to a nesco 750?  Great dehydrator.   When I started my own food biusness I needed something bigger.  Went withe the Excalibur 9 tray with timers.  Man I love these things superior to the nesco and I think the nesco kicks but
 Post Number: 7
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a five-tray Excalibur.  Very happy with it.

The problem with most non-commercial, counter top dehydrators is that the heat source and fan are in the bottom of the unit.  Of course, this poses more of a problem as you place items on the higher trays.  The Excalibur units have the heat source and fan in the back of the unit.  This results in much more even drying than a comparably-powered unit with the heat and fan in the bottom.

I just did 8-10 Granny Smith apples in my Excalibur this weekend.  It took about 14 hours to get them to the point where I wanted them.

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2012, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got an early fathers day and birthday gift: a 9 tray 3900 excalibur.  I got the refurbished model from the website, for $200.  It seems to work great.  I'm ready for some cherries and apricots now.  I dried some bananas in it and was pleased that they popped off the tray without leaving a residue when they got dry enough.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let us know how the cherries turn out.  I tried blueberries and some of them simply would not dehydrate.

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 10
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nesco

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 11
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.nesco.com/product....6de6095

I have that and now have 12 trays for it. I really need to use it more for hiking meals.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 12
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Open Country 700 (now they call it the Sportsman's Kitchen).  It's a Nesco brand.  Excellent drier, does it all, very happy with it, about $80 at Open Country Dehydrators

Though you can pick one up on Amazon for about $65.

Highly recommended.

Drake
 Post Number: 13
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an old (20 year old) Harvest Maid dehydrator with 4 trays. I've always been happy with it :)

Mudinyeri, when I dehydrate cherries, I cut them in half (remove pit, of course), and "pop" them (kind of like turning inside-out). I've never had a problem getting them dried that way.

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 14
skik2000 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2012, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Recently bought a Nesco 75 from Amazon.  Think it was $60.  It's my first dehydrator and I'm happy with it.  My main complaint is that it is circular and the trays look like donuts.  When you're done dehydrating it is difficult to bend/fold the trays and slide all your food into a bag or container.  You've got to do something with the food at the top or it just falls through the hole.

The fan is also on the top so you've got to grab hot trays to look at the food drying closer to the bottom.  

The Excaliburs seem to avoid these two problems but they are also 3-4x as expensive.
 Post Number: 15
jimbo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2012, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had my Nesco for year and it still works great..
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ May 31 2012, 1:40 pm)
I have an old (20 year old) Harvest Maid dehydrator with 4 trays. I've always been happy with it :)

Mudinyeri, when I dehydrate cherries, I cut them in half (remove pit, of course), and "pop" them (kind of like turning inside-out). I've never had a problem getting them dried that way.

Hmmm ... I'll have to give that a try with my blueberries.

Thanks.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
drober Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Late reply, but there's a pretty good dehydrator comparison table here: http://www.dehydratorreview.net/compare-dehydrators

We've had a NESCO 1018p for a long time (when they were still american harvest) and had good luck with it.
 Post Number: 18
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another Nesco fan; bought mine at a Goodwill for 7 bucks on "Half-off Saturday."  I'm all for using second-hand stuff that's still functional, especially when it's half off.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 19
montymontana Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had an Open Country (it was just pointed out that it's a Nesco product) that I was very happy with: dried lots of stews and pasta meals for my hikes, also kiwi fruit (tangy!) and lamb jerky (yum!).  My brother just gave me an American Harvest, so I'm eager to try it out.
 Post Number: 20
Fester Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 1:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just joined the forums , new to backpacking, kind of new to dehydrating, and have a question. . . Can someone explain to me how you dehydrate stew, spaghetti, ect? We have a Open Country 7 tray we bought at Basspro. . . .    Thanks and sorry for the high jack

--------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
 Post Number: 21
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This video will get you started. It's easier than it sounds.
dehydrating pasta
20 replies since May 05 2012, 9:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dehydrator comparison
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions