2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for some (simple) meal ideas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
squirrelmaster Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 7:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howdy,

Was hoping for a few meal suggestions for some upcoming backpacking trips. I was hoping to change a few things I did on previous trips so here goes some explanation of then and now...

Breakfast:

Previously brought instant coffee, and made up oatmeal mix with a variety of home dehydrated fruits added.

Switching now to some nodoz tablets and something along the lines of Clif bars to avoid having to boil water in the morning and get on the move.

Lunch:

Previously packed a foil tuna packet with crackers and a Taco Bell fire sauce packet. Supplemented with homemade trail mix.

I liked the tuna lunch but did the same thing every day and after two days I was scared to pee anywhere near my tent because it smelled like an Alaskan river teeming with fish.

I'm looking for any suggestions on no-cook meals that people have found to be easy and enjoyable.

Dinner:

I am making meals for 3 people for 5 nights for an upcoming trip. I have no problem eating the same thing or close to it, previously us three all ate shepherds pie which was Idahoan potatoes, dehydrated beef gravel, onions, shrooms and various spices. For a slight change up I threw in some cous cous in place of beef in some meals. I also did ramen but that isn't very space efficient and poked through the bag.

Was hoping to add one or two additional meals into the fold, and was thinking of doing a pasta meal.  I have been scouring Sarbar's site as well as others for ideas but was wondering if anyone had some pretty basic meals they end up taking time after time that they might care to share as I continue my search.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to eating out of a plastic bag in the mountains again soon!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(squirrelmaster @ Jun. 18 2012, 7:54 pm)
Switching now to some nodoz tablets and something along the lines of Clif bars to avoid having to boil water in the morning and get on the move.

That's so depressing that I quit reading.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 18 2012, 5:11 pm)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Starbucks iced coffee, part of the Via line. NoDoz? Ack!!!!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 18 2012, 8:11 pm)

Yeah it will be new, but I'm going to give it a shot and commit to it for this trip. We'll see how it goes.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Jun. 18 2012, 9:57 pm)

(TDale @ Jun. 18 2012, 5:11 pm)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Starbucks iced coffee, part of the Via line. NoDoz? Ack!!!!

Honestly, I'd rather have NoDoz than cold coffee, just not my thing.
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Short of being chased by mujahideen I can't think of a reason not to brew up a cup of coffee and enjoy the morning.  :p

How about brewing some tea the night before and drinking it in the morning?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The cold Via actually does taste good. If you haven't tried it....at least consider it. It is a different version than the regular Via.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Jun. 19 2012, 8:55 am)
The cold Via actually does taste good. If you haven't tried it....at least consider it. It is a different version than the regular Via.

I'll give anything a try. I'll pick some up thanks for the suggestion. My wife LOVES iced coffee, I've just never enjoyed it personally. We'll see though?
 Post Number: 9
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2012, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mobile Meth lab?  Please leave no trace. :)
 Post Number: 10
Idaho Bob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2012, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No coffee in the morning is just too barbaric.  I'll carry 6 oz of gear to get that done.
 Post Number: 11
ridgewalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2012, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No coffee in the morning is just too barbaric

I agree. I've tried several methods for coffee. Number one, you gotta boils some water. Beyond that, I think the MSR Mugmate is the easiest way to get a good cup of "brewed" coffee.
 Post Number: 12
PJCrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2012, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Crush up your ramen in a ziplock bag and it won't take up so much space in your pack, easier to eat, too. One simple meal is to rehydrate Fantastic Foods Beans (will be like a dip) and eat it with Fritos (or crush Fritos in the ziplock and eat it with a spoon - that's the simplest recipe. If you want to get fancier you can add packets of salsa, chopped onions, cheese, etc. Easy and good if you like mexican.
 Post Number: 13
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2012, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, there's the school of thought that says unless you're walking to your back yard, you shouldn't pack in prepared food. Me? I say you have to carry water for food anyway, so why not bring in prepared food? That said, try Tasty Bites (or their Trader Joe's equivalents, and if you like Indian) and cous-cous. Just drop the packet into water to a boil, and then use the boiled water for the cous-cous.

Especially good for dinner in colder weather - spicy foods just before bed raises your body temperature. Plenty of fiber and carbs.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have a Trader Joes by you check out their Flattened Bananas.  I take them and put peanut butter on them. It's quick and easy. Also what about bagels and PB or a wrap and PB? Cold couscous is another good one.
 Post Number: 15
ahiusser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I have a couple ideas for ya...It'll depend how long you intend on being out there (ETA: you said five days, so you shouldn't have any problems with cheese or salami, or tortillas, bagels, pitas, or other hard breads. And since there are five of you, it's easy to split up the weight of the food between you all) and how much weight you are willing to carry, as well. These recipes are from my book (link in my siggy line):

Breakfast Quesadilla

One tortilla wrap
Several slices of hard cheese (I used cheddar)
Bacon bits
Hot sauce to taste

Cover one side of the tortilla with cheese slices, sprinkle bacon bits over top, and douse with hot sauce to taste.  Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the section loaded with ingredients, and fry by sections in the bottom of your pot or frying pan until the cheese is melted.

(You don't have to cook it - you can eat it cold too.)

A similar idea:

Meat and Cheese Wrap

Tortilla
Salami, summer sausage, pepperoni, or other meat that holds up well on the trail
Hard cheese (I used marble or medium cheddar)

Slice pieces of salami and cheese onto a tortilla wrap. Wrap it up and enjoy!

(I hiked hundreds of miles, and not once did I have my summer sausage/salami spoil or cheese get moldy. I bought the cheese in blocks and the salami in rolls. It was extra weight, but it was well worth it, IMO. :) )

For a different quick breakfast, a chocolate bar dipped in peanut butter packs an energy punch, and you don't have to take a long time to make or eat it, and you don't have to heat it up.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

One package of any flavour noodle side dish
Butter or olive oil
One foil package of any flavour tuna
Restaurant packets of mayonnaise (optional)

Cook the noodles as per the instructions on the package and add a big spoonful of butter or olive oil.  Add the tuna from the foil packet and mix.

The following recipe is bulky, but very lightweight for what you get:

Turkey Dressing with Bacon Bits

One package instant turkey dressing
Butter or olive oil
Bacon bits
Water

Boil the right amount of water according to the dressing package instructions.  Add the dressing, butter to taste and bacon bits.  If desired, add dehydrated vegetables to the water while its heating, making sure to end up with the right amount of water for the dressing.  

And finally, a staple of my trip:

Chicken and Rice

Package of rice side dish
Water
Foil packet of chicken

Cook rice according to package instructions.  Mix in the chicken and heat through.  

There are lots of meal ideas you can use - just be creative and try different things before you go, see how much trouble each meal is, or how much they weigh, etc, and you'll emd up with some variety while you're away. :)

--------------
Check out my Appalachian Trail book: Timberrr!!! Or, How I Fell Down The Appalachian Trail. It's a trail guide and trail journal in one! Available now on Kindle and Smashwords!
 Post Number: 16
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2012, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My two go-to dinners were lifted from this site at one time or another.  Easy to make, tasty and filling.

The first is Dicentra's GoBlue Fredo - basically a box of mac n'cheese, a pouch of tuna or salmon and deydrated corn or peas.
http://www.onepanwonders.com/dinners.htm

The other is just a basic FBC chicken and rice mixture from Sarbar's cookbook.  Something like this:
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/creamy-chicken-rice

Another favorite, also from Sarbar, was a chicken/rice taco (can't find it on the website, so it may be her in her book) - basically Mexican spices (oregano, garlic, salt, pepper) in rice with chicken, dehydrated re-fried beans, tortillas and cheese.  Really good.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 17
cahiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2012, 2:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just had one of my favorite, easy meals Tuesday night:

Thai Peanut Noodles (Serves 4)
---------------------------------------
1 14oz package rice noodles
1 package Taste of Thai peanut sauce
1 packet powdered coconut milk (look for at Asian markets)
1 bag freeze dried veggies
Chopped peanuts for garnish

Pour near boiling water over noodles and soak for 10 minutes (the brand I buy says 8-10 minutes, but I go with the high end in a cool, high altitude campsite).

Mix coconut milk with hot water, according to package directions, then stir in peanut sauce mix.

Rehydrate veggies according to package directions.

After 10 minutes drain the noodles and veggies and mix together with sauce.  Top with peanuts.

The recipe can easily be cut in half for two, since the peanut sauce mix comes 2 pouches to the package.
 Post Number: 18
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2012, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Jul. 05 2012, 11:08 am)
Another favorite, also from Sarbar, was a chicken/rice taco (can't find it on the website, so it may be her in her book) - basically Mexican spices (oregano, garlic, salt, pepper) in rice with chicken, dehydrated re-fried beans, tortillas and cheese.  Really good.

Now I need to figure out which one that was :D After 1,000's of recipes even I get stumped...lol! I love going through my websites and finding an oldie and thinking "I need to revisit this!"  :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 19
BackwoodsPlaid Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 6:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love my mugmate. Makes great coffee.

Simple breakfast of bacon & eggs. I let the bacon fry up first, and then fry the eggs in the grease. Cast iron will allow for easy clean up. I know this isn't the lightest method when hiking, but is a sure hit when camping.

Best,
Rhon
www.BackwoodsPlaid.com

--------------
Rhon Bell
www.backwoodsplaid.com
 Post Number: 20
BGTwinDad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2012, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread is making me hungry.

Seriously I don't have anything to add but am thankful for all your ideas.
 Post Number: 21
lonesomegeorge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2012, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

gonna be goin' thru sarbars cookbook when I get to texas,the brownmouse has it......can't wait....by the way,are the Flattened Banana's still together,they used ta rock.....

--------------
"all you gotta do is open your arms,your heart,and breathe in...the happy,happy,happy will flow into you like the sunshine flows into trees!!!"...brownmouse....as I keep on a smilin'...

www.lonesomegeorge.smugmug.com
 Post Number: 22
Deepfield Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2012, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The whole stick anything in a tortilla wrap idea is great! Im actually in the middle of my Ice Age Trail trek right now and am going to pick up some now. As for coffee, I pour my coffee grounds (expresso sized) into a cheese cloth or mesh and let it steep in my boiling water for a while. Other wise I will just pour the grounds right into the boiling water and make turkish coffee. Im a big fan of super strong coffee so it works nice :)

--------------
The Best Things In Life Aren't Things...
 Post Number: 23
Chris C Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2012, 2:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ahiusser @ Jul. 05 2012, 8:14 am)
Meat and Cheese Wrap

Tortilla
Salami, summer sausage, pepperoni, or other meat that holds up well on the trail
Hard cheese (I used marble or medium cheddar)

Slice pieces of salami and cheese onto a tortilla wrap. Wrap it up and enjoy!

Yes!

Packit Gourmet sells shelf-stable summer sausage, pre-sliced, in single serving packets. I bring string cheese (individual single-servings) and wrap the summer sausage and string cheese in a tortilla. Delicious and very little/lightweight garbage.

--------------
"We're not lost. It's the trail that's missing."
 Post Number: 24
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2012, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Jun. 30 2012, 10:13 pm)
Me? I say you have to carry water for food anyway, so why not bring in prepared food?

Why do you have to carry water? Maybe in the desert but most hiking is done where water is available. (Hence all the filter discussions;-)

I too like to get going right away in the morning so I can take advantage of the cooler hours of the day. I take things like caffeinated Shot Bloks and Sport Beans, or bring tiny zip-locks of chocolate covered espresso beans.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 25
schmittdas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2012, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

for simple recipe ideas, I go to what a 11 yr old scout would make.  so I scan some of the online Scout cookbooks.  The Alaska Scouts had a modification of the old Troop 928 and Rising Star District cookbooks, but I don't think it is online at their website.  some of the online books are at www.macscouter.com/cooking
but you can search for scout cookbooks and get a number of hits.

http://usscouts.org/cooking.asp  is another link.

--------------
Swa = (a*Rw/(Phie^m)/Rt)^(1/n)
 Post Number: 26
spirithiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a favorite meal at home that we just adapted for backpacking.

Mini penne(cooks quicker than the big penne)
Knorr- Parma Rosa sauce
Dehydrated baby bella mushrroms(sliced)
Dehydrated roasted red pepper
Sun dried tomatoes(in a bag that is found in the salad isle)
Dehydrated chorizo (or other spicy italian sausage) cook fresh   and rinse with hot water then dehydrate

We pack the meat and vegies seperate in zip locks and add water when we get into camp. Easy and delicious!! Perfect for 3 people.
 Post Number: 27
campinjim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012, 7:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the last few years we have bought some "boil in the bag" Indian food from a local store (Trader Joes has them, but more pricey) and just cook some rice on the trail. this is usually the easiest meal of the trip :) i hope this Starbucks Via stuff is good since the wife tried it and now wont entertain the thought of anything else!
edited to add: Dang Rhon,that looks GREAT! Take me with next time!

--------------
Look up at the stars and become "Universe Conscious".
me
 Post Number: 28
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

how about..diceing up a zuchini, tomatoes, a green pepper, fresh basil, (lots of it) and a red onion. Dehdrate it. And put in freezer bag with granulated garlic, oregano, cayanne pepper and a dash of sea salt.  Bring along  3 packets or so of evoo, (extra virgin olive oil) . Also bring along, in another freezer bag, 1/4 cup plain dry  couscos, with sundried tomatoes in it.   When u are ready to eat, just add cold water, about 1/2 cup to each bag, and dehydrate both bags for about 10 minutes. Add the olive oil when done to the veggie mix...combine both bags if u like and enjoy a fine healthy, natural, simple meal..no stove, no cooking.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 29
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2012, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I make it all the time for lunch or dinner at work, but I have yet to dehydrate it. I think I am going to try it this weekend at home. I would keep the garlic, oregano, cayanne pepper and sea salt in a seperate lunch baggie and add it with the olive oil after it has been reydrated.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 30
kidner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2012, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are some favorites I use:

Dinner
Quinoa
Sun-dried tomatos
Dehydrated mushrooms
Small Onion
Parmesan Cheese
Garlic, Salt,  lemon pepper spices
- saute the onion before adding other ingredients.  Add the cheese right before serving.  

Dinner - TVP Burritos
TVP (textured vegetable protein - it's a vegetarian meat substitute; has no flavor of it's own, but can be seasoned very easily, is super light, and cooks quickly.  Recommend trying before getting out on trail to figure out right portions)
tortilla
avocado
roma tomato
taco seasoning for TVP
(this is best eaten on day one or two, to avoid smashed tomato)

Dinner - Calzone
Small pizza crust, pita, tortilla, pre-made dough
tomato paste in squeeze tube (can be found in more groceries these days)
any desired toppings (onions, pep, etc)
wrap in foil, make sure to oil inside of foil, and cook in coals near edge of fire, turning to avoid burning

In general I recommend getting yourself a food dehydrator if you do not have one.  You can get really creative and cut a lot of weight.  Also having a food savor to vacuum seal some things like the parmesan cheese).
47 replies since Jun. 18 2012, 7:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for some (simple) meal ideas
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions