2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Home Made Power Bar, Paley's Energy Bar< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2012, 12:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

from The Athlete's Palate Cookbook

3/4 cup Turkish or Black Misson figs,
stemmed and halved (about 3 medium fresh figs)

1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried sour cherries
1/2 cup dry-roasted hazelnuts , chopped
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons oat bran

Place in food processor (all except oat bran) pulse until the batter comes together.  Empty on parchment or waxed  paper, sprinkle with oat bran and press out to a 9 x 12 rectangle about 1/2" thick.  Wrap tightly in plastic and let it firm up in refrigerator overnight.

My first try was not so hot, and I did buy one he sells , expensive and just so so.  My second try was allot better.

I chopped the nuts first (mine weren't pre chopped) and noticed from another book that it said to use a larger processor to get the nuts really well chopped (my ninja come with three bowls).  So I think doing this made the mixture come together better.  I also used 1/2 cup cherries since they were open and no raisins , which have made them taste better.  I also used smokehouse almonds on the second batch, I forgot I bought hazelnuts.  More honey might help too.  I also put the wrap on really tight, tucking it underneath.
=====

I searched this site to see if anyone had posted on this already, and I did come up with this other recipe I have yet to try:

Blueberry-Banana Peanut Butter Bars
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2012, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Dayhiker, if you like nut and berry bars, I have a lot of them on my personal blog - we eat raw bars/balls all the time :) My Raw Oreos are amazing.
Btw, a full size food processor does work better - they can crank like crazy and chop finely.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks sarbar,

Where in a grocery do you generally find agave, and what does it look like?

I searched for bars on your site and I see about 10 more things to try, thanks.
 Post Number: 4
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2012, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agave is hidden next to the honey :) Best prices are Trader Joe's and Costco - both are high end product. Get raw if you can :)
I use raw honey interchangeably with it :)

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2012, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/brands....ve.html

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally made these! (Well sort of).
I used butter instead of coconut butter and a few dashes of vanilla extract, not a whole tablespoon I saw in this recipe)

I really like the cookie part.  A girl in the checkout line was asking me about the cocoa.  I told her I almost didn't get it because I already have so much sweetened cocoa, but I could use this too to make hot cocoa.

I then told her I did not get the coconut butter.  Too much saturated fat.   Plus I was not sure the stuff at whole foods is what you were talking about it had palm oil etc, and last year I tried real coconut and coconut water, and put shredded coconut from an almond joy bar on ice cream sandwich and they were all horrible.  She told me coconut butter is actually good for you.
But I am skeptical.  And this.

Still might not be any worse than butter and ok for an occasional backpack.  The other thing was the $$ for all of this for something I wasn't sure I would like.  I bought more cashews too , since I did not want old ones to spoil my first attempt.

I did find a couple of sites on making your own coconut butter, not sure if my  food processor can do this but worth a try.

As I was putting these cookies together, I was wondering how they would hold up on the trail, I mean if they need to be frozen and refrigerated etc.  I realized that is the real draw back to using butter, so I made one with peanut butter and one with almond butter.  Those are a bit too rich and dry  for the trail?  (I just take whole nuts now)

I am definitely going to keep making the cookie part with or without a creme.  And making some homemade coconut butter seems simple enough to try as well.

And I am encourage to try some more of your bars now!
 Post Number: 7
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Jul. 13 2012, 11:23 am)
Hey Dayhiker, if you like nut and berry bars, I have a lot of them on my personal blog - we eat raw bars/balls all the time :) My Raw Oreos are amazing.
Btw, a full size food processor does work better - they can crank like crazy and chop finely.

jesus...those look fantastic!!!! Where do you get the medjool dates??????

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got mine at whole foods.  I had to write it down to make sure I got the right kind.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers." Krugman
 Post Number: 9
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw them at Safeway today.

They weren't in the bulk foods (like whole foods) or with the other dried fruit (though some kind of dates were there), but in a separate area packaged in a clear buckets and also I think you could buy the amount you want in another package nearby
 Post Number: 11
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stumbled upon this book over the weekend and ordered it: Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Book

--------------
Dennis Waite
10 replies since Jul. 13 2012, 12:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Home Made Power Bar
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions