2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Farm fresh eggs, Truth or dare?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2012, 10:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard eggs from a farmer that haven't been refrigerated can last for awhile at least in cool climates (not in this heat wave certainly).  Also heard they're dipped in oil for a little more preservation, as some other backpackers I hiked with made a FBC type omelette with them (I had a bite,... No salmonella).   What am I missing here?

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2012, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only buy local eggs now. There is a lady across town who runs a tiny farm, she raises chickens and turkeys. She is certified organic as well. The eggs might be $5 a dozen but holy wow, they are the best eggs EVER. Local eggs actually got me eating eggs again!
But yes, eggs didn't use to be refrigerated in the past.

One of the hardest problems she has is finding the turkey eggs - they hide their nests, and they do brood (sit on them) so they can be out there for a day or two until she finds them. (They are free range in the true sense)

Cooking eggs is your friend with any chance of salmonella - cooked through is the key.

PS: Those who sell local eggs don't wash the eggs, just gently dust them off. The eggs have a natural coating, washing removes it. Dirty is your friend!!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Caution now...a freash egg that has not been refrigerated, can remain unrefrigerated for some time.  Once they have been refrigerated, they need to stay refrigerated.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2012, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Aug. 13 2012, 11:50 am)
Caution now...a freash egg that has not been refrigerated, can remain unrefrigerated for some time.  Once they have been refrigerated, they need to stay refrigerated.

When I lived in GA  they used to just put them on flats in the convenience stores by the hudreds with no refridg at all.  out for days.  Not sure if they still do.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Discussed ad nauseum here: http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1158058

:p
 Post Number: 6
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Open water sailors keep eggs fresh for weeks by coating them with a thin layer of Vasaline. It stops them from getting oxygen.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 7
SchoonyBoozer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im a former submariner, we keep eggs in boxes in the not-always-the-coldest-place engine room for months at a time (until we run out and have to eat the powdered s***)  I don't know if they are refrigerated before we take them onboard, but I do know that the cooks can tell if they are spoiled by holding them up a light.  Unfortunately, I don't know what they look for.  I also recall something about a wax coating or something like that.
 Post Number: 8
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Schoony:

Unless the sub you were on was a pre-Nautilus I can just imagine what kept the eggs "safe"

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
7 replies since Aug. 13 2012, 10:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Farm fresh eggs
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions