2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sterno Cans, Your views?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Deepfield Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 1:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i just purchased 2 cans for the trip im on right now. (1,200mi Ice Age Trail Thru-Hike) I plan on using 4 tent steaks placed around the can for a stove type config. I want to use up the rest of my alcohol burner first though. What are your views on this? I read its slow going to boil water but I tested it out and the flame seems hot enough. I have tinfoil that I use as a wind breaker.

--------------
The Best Things In Life Aren't Things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you actually boil water with it?  In the conditions you'll be in?  That's what matters.  You don't want to be ten miles out and can't boil water for your FBC.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only thing Sterno is good for, is keeping some half empty buffet pans at an all you can eat Chinese Restaurant from dropping below room temp.

I didn't even realize they still made the stuff ! The last time I "tried" to use it for backpacking was back in the 60's when I was in Boy Scouts.

All it did was make warm water, never boiling water.

If all you want to do is warm a can of franks and beans, I can vouch it will do that, but not much else.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080pá?
 Post Number: 4
JasPL Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Sep. 06 2012, 6:47 pm)
The only thing Sterno is good for, is keeping some half empty buffet pans at an all you can eat Chinese Restaurant from dropping below room temp.

I'd have to agree.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you think about it that makes sense: you don't want to pour maximum heat up against the bottom of a buffet chafing dish: that would overcook what you're trying to simply keep warm and ultimately burn the crap out of it.

A slow release of modest heat and you've got a controlled simmer.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 1:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So out they go. lol.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
EBasil Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Toss them under the sink in your kitchen ...for that day there's a power outage or whatnot and you do need to cook "light" at home or keep the blinztes hot at brunch.  That, or in your e-kit in the car , is about all Sterno's good for.
 Post Number: 8
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The last can I had ended up being used as a firestarter for some really wet wood in scout camp. Stick with the alky stove unless it's been failing you.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 9
TheStephinator Search for posts by this member.
Indubitably.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Sterno stove was the first stove I ever had and used! As it has been mentioned, I would only use it if I was needing to heat stuff to eat rather than cooking it. Back in the day I was all about hauling cans of Dinty Moore! lol
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tossed one and kept the other just to see. I tried it out last night and it works just fine. But the only thing I see being a setback is how fast they burn out with how long it takes to boil water. I estimate about 5 meals per can. And being 7oz each idk if its worth it.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
hikerJoe2 Search for posts by this member.
HikerJoe2

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sterno used to market the small cans with a metal sleive that mounted on top, acting as a windscreen/pot support.  Concentrating the heat in this manner I imagine they would heat more efficiently, but I have not seen them for years, so, perhaps they did not work as intended.  Anyone have experience with these?  I used to laugh at the idea, but now that I use pop-can alky stoves, I have been wondering if they have merit.  Another comercial option that may work better is the caned heat, similar to sterno but a liquid fuel that uses a wick.  I wonder if these woud be a better option.

--------------
HikerJoe2
Plymouth, IN
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An alcohol stove would be a much better choice, and almost as convenient.
 Post Number: 13
montymontana Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My one sad experience (in Glacier Park) was that the Sterno flame is too susceptible air currents.  All I could achieve after twenty minutes was warm water...they seem to work much better indoors.
12 replies since Sep. 06 2012, 1:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sterno Cans
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions