2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking: weight loss or gain or?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 6:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I happened to notice that the ten lbs I dropped while I was out and about for twelve days this August is steady and that brought up, along with a thread where some one was planning on bringing MRE's to the Grand canyon, food for trips and what the results were post trip in terms of weight.

So what's other's experiences? Stay the same, probably indicating you carried just the right amount of food or did you lose or gain weight probably meaning you carried and ate too much or not enough?

Oh and did anyone else notice a change when everything started to have to fit in a (apologies Wild Ideas) (&^$$^%^& bear canister ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deepfield Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been losing weight sadly. I have an issue consuming 3k calories a day so im sure thats part of it. But I figure I counter it with stopping in a town and stuffing my face with a greasy double cheeseburger or two once a week.

--------------
The Best Things In Life Aren't Things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Used to stay same, and be totally stuffed after dinner each night.  A couple of years ago I started cutting back the portion sizes, so that on our last two week-long trips the DH and I each lost about 5 lbs.  That's weight we can afford to lose, and we weren't uncomfortably hungry during the trips.  So far, I've regained about 3-5 of those pounds each time, after a couple of months, putting me right back at the pretty fit weight my body seems to like (I'd not mind staying a little skinnier, but it would require staying hungry more, and I'm not into it).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not seem to be able to pack more than about 2000 cal a day over a week trip, but manage to expend 4000-5000 per day, so I lose about 1# a day for every day out.  I lost 8 #s on my recent week long trip, and kept it all off for 5 days before seeing it begin to creep back.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a loser also on most trips. I can eat about 2000 cals per day on a trip but we all know we use way more than that.

The first two days back from a trip I'm constantly hungry and eat like a pig.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 6
LHHT653 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2012, 7:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From my experiences, if I do not lose weight from hiking it is due to not eating and drinking enough while putting your body into stress mode. I did a 33 mile solo hike in 48 hours with 2,500 elevation differential and a 35lb pack. I actually gained two pounds with a caloric intake of under 2,000 calories. I just turned 40. I am 6ft tall at about 12% body fat. The other reason for gaining weight would be all of the sodium in the MRE packs. I know I can gain 3lbs just by retaining water from increased sodium intake. After a good nights rest at home, I instantly lost 5lbs over night with a bf of 11%. If the hike goes longer than three days, I lose 2lbs a day. My body can only stay in stress mode for so long. By night three I crash hard regardless of the presence of bears, ax murders, or equipment thieves.

--------------
My photo stuff.

My first impression of the the Grand Canyon was from Bright Angel Trail... When I descended the trail to where the canyon opened up wide, I knew I would never be the same.
 Post Number: 7
kevperro Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2012, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only do 2-5 day trips these days and if I lose weight it isn't much.   On long trips greater than 2-weeks where I'm essentially living on the trail I lose weight until my body goes into EAT mode.

--------------
“He is a self-made man, very much in love with his creator.”

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 8
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2012, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

7 Days in the Winds.  Started at 188#, finished at 181#.  3 weeks later I'm at 179.  I gave up soda since returning so that's helping me maintain.   178 is my ideal..

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
7 replies since Sep. 13 2012, 6:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking: weight loss or gain or?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions