2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bear creek country kitchen dry soup mix, Anyone try?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw it in this month's backpacker and was wondering if anyone has tried it.  I'm assuming you can't add water to the bag???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are chock full of Salt. Plus would require a fairly large pot to cook it in an a long cook time I believe.
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to buy #10 cans of the stuff (now just the smaller packages) and break it down to single servings using a bag sealer. It does require a pot and about 10 minutes of cooking on a stove or fire.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have used them when low on other stocks. Agreed inexcusably high in sodium, but used in moderation, I give it a pass. I really keep that in mind when I am on a high exertion trip and could use a little dinner electrolyte boost before sleep.

Good for a base to add dried veggies, boosters like chia, and protein from tuna or chickhen.

Cook time can be shortened by preparing the mix, add-ins, and boiling water and allowed to sit 8-10 minutes FBC style in an insulated or jacket wrapped pot. Just whisk it up real good before letting stand.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 5
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you care about ingredients, be wary. They are not high quality - and openly contain MSG, GMO corn starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin, Palm Oil and some contain Hydrolyzed Soy Protein as well.

Also 900 mg for 1/4 cup dry mix is high in sodium. Used sparingly for flavor (if you were using it to flavor say rice you'd only need 1-2 Tbsp of it dry), you could be OK - there are better choices out there though.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Oct. 15 2012, 11:28 am)
If you care about ingredients, be wary. They are not high quality - and openly contain MSG, GMO corn starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin, Palm Oil and some contain Hydrolyzed Soy Protein as well.

Also 900 mg for 1/4 cup dry mix is high in sodium. Used sparingly for flavor (if you were using it to flavor say rice you'd only need 1-2 Tbsp of it dry), you could be OK - there are better choices out there though.

+1

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 7
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And boy was it hard to track down the ingredients!! Their website didn't have them listed as far as I could see (BOOOOO! to them), I had to research on Amazon where they have to list them. I'll be honest, I don't like when food companies do not publish their ingredients to the public on their websites.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 8
montymontana Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the heads up Bear Creek products...it seems they have a lot of stuff I'd rather avoid, which is too bad 'cause many stores around are now stocking the brand.
 Post Number: 9
Hotrod Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently tried it based on the Backpacker mention.  Too much sodium and other "stuff", but I played with it bit anyway, using the cheddar potato.  I discovered that a 5 minute boil, not 15, then a 10 minute covered stand was sufficient to rehydrate.  This would save fuel.
 Post Number: 10
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have used the potato soup as a base for salmon chowder.  I need to watch our sodium intake more now, so I haven't been getting it, but just cut the recipe in half and add a foil package of salmon.  Easily enough for two.  I also added more diced potatoes. Also did as Hotrod and didn't simmer as long as stated.  Just made sure to let it sit long enough to completely rehydrate the potatoes.

Just a note: You might be able to find a soup base or two here...
http://www.soupsonline.com/default.aspx
 Post Number: 11
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used it.  I avoid pre-packaged/processed stuff at home, but for a few days on the trail, I don't really worry much about it.  I thought the Bear Creek soups were pretty tasty.  I've mostly used the potato as a base to begin (I've used it to make clam chowder, and other times added diced ham & extra dried veggies like carrots & peas).  I've also used the cheddar broccoli, adding additional veggies & some chicken or ham.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 12
wgiles Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used Bear Creek and Shore Lunch soup mixes. I do need to watch for MSG as I'm sensitive to it. It's hard to come by inexpensive dehydrated foods.
 Post Number: 13
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We occasionally eat the Cheddar Potato soup at home, I add to it various ingredients.  It's tasty.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
12 replies since Oct. 06 2012, 12:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bear creek country kitchen dry soup mix
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions