2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Coffee Roaster< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Outamatches Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 5:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have, use, own a coffee roaster? If so what did you think? Worth the money? Pain to do? Hard to clean? Was the coffee good or better than store bought?

--------------
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden itself"
Oscar Wilde
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I ever again live in a place where green coffee is readily available, I'll buy one.

Once upon a time, I worked a few months in Costa Rica.  There, the coffee you drink this morning was picked yesterday, roasted last night, ground and brewed just before you drink it.

It is a religious experience.

You'll probably never get beans that fresh without spending your childrens' inheritance.  What I've had of old beans home roasted was one-tenth as good as the Costa Rican nirvana-brew but, ten times better than any other brew.

Do it.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
Outamatches Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have done it outside over an open fire, but it is hard to control the heat. I tried ONCE in the house but the smoke was way to much. You also have to blow the chaff and that makes a mess.

--------------
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden itself"
Oscar Wilde
 Post Number: 4
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't roasted in a while but when I was roasting, I mostly used a now discontinued Fresh Roast Plus 8 air roaster. It works pretty well and the newer, upgraded Fresh Roast models look like they should be even better. The manufacturer has bumped up the price for them a bit, though. I've also used a $10 Harbor Freight heat gun and a large stainless steel bowl. That method actually works really well, resulting in a larger and more evenly roasted batch once you get the hang of it, though it is a little less convenient.

http://www.homeroaster.com/heatgun.html

http://www.roastmasters.com/fresh-roast.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
bisonkron Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a french roast brand coffee roaster, that i used a ton and loved. I moved to an apartment w/o a balcony, (you need to do this out side to avoid stinking up your house b/c the bean skins burn up and smell like someone supremely burnt some popcorn) It was inadvertantly sold in a garage sale for 5$. lucky buyer! =(.  I loved roasting it, and having the really fresh taste. It is cheaper than buying single origin quality stuff pre-roasted. You can buy the stuff from several online vendors, and even with shipping its cheaper that roasted beans. A lot of people use one of those small pop corn roasters: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-....OLUZGN. (read the reviews on that one). The specialized ones are for sure better, but the pop corn popper is a good way to enter into it to see if you like it. The specialty ones work about the same way, they have heating coils and a fan that blows straight up.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool idea!

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFPN8IWSWZ0YP/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 12 2012, 7:14 pm)

Yea, I had considered giving this a shot with that hot air popcorn popper. My wife found one at the Thrift Store for about $2 and says she sees them there all the time.

I never did do it though. From what I remember the thing that changed my mind was the difficulty in finding green coffee beans somewhere that was reasonably priced.

Anyone have a source?
 Post Number: 8
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have a Fresh Roast 500.  Best coffee in the world.  Can't do it inside...too smoky.  I usually do the roasting in the garage.  Been doing it for years.

williamsbrewing.com is the place to find the roaster and the best coffee with the least amount of chaff.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frihauf @ Nov. 13 2012, 5:02 pm)
williamsbrewing.com is the place to find the roaster and the best coffee with the least amount of chaff.

Ben

Ben, i love you, bro'.  

THEY'VE GOT COSTA RICAN!

doin the happy dance and planning roastin' adventures'

--------------
 Post Number: 10
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with you TDale.  The Costa Rican is the best...by far.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 11
marzsit Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i've roasted beans in a hot-air popcorn popper and it does a really good job, but you have to use the right kind of popper.. you want one that has the hot air inlets around the outside of the popping chamber. if the popper has a screen in the center of the chamber, it won't work. you also want to do the roasting outdoors, because as the beans roast, they give off chaff that will make a mess indoors.....

--------------
Windows XP Professional x64: Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface
for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
 Post Number: 12
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am finding it very difficult to resist trying this.  I don't need another hobbie!  stop please!
 Post Number: 13
wgiles Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(marzsit @ Nov. 19 2012, 9:57 am)
i've roasted beans in a hot-air popcorn popper and it does a really good job, but you have to use the right kind of popper.. you want one that has the hot air inlets around the outside of the popping chamber. if the popper has a screen in the center of the chamber, it won't work. you also want to do the roasting outdoors, because as the beans roast, they give off chaff that will make a mess indoors.....

I agree.

I use a Salton air popper and roast on the porch when the weather permits or in the garage when it doesn't. I can vent the garage air outside. The chaff does get everywhere.
12 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 5:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Coffee Roaster
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions