2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: vaccume food sealer, dehydrated fbc< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just recieved a vaccume food sealer yesterday. I have a dehydrator and I usually make my own meals and dehydrate them, put them in freezer bags and I eat right out of the freezer bag. I was wondering if it would be worth it to vaccume seal the meal, then drop it in the freezer bag and pack it that way...maybe it would save minimal space??  Does this make any sense? Should I just skip the sealing and continue packing it like I already do?

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been looking into this one as well.
A sealer, while it may cut a tad bit of room, it's actually going to add a little weight due to that extra plastic. However, they do make a ziplock bag style sealer that actually seals into a zip lock bag, and I'm looking into that. Seems like the bags are expensive though.
http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/VacuumFreezerSystem.aspx
Primarily, the sealers are to extend the shelf life of the dehydrated meals. I usually just freeze mine and call it a day, as they usually never sit in the freezer for more than a month or so.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are not using a hard sided canister, then I would seal all of the meals in the vacuum bags, and eat right out of them. They work just fine as FBC.  Reason behind this approach would be longer shelf life, even in the freezer.  I can dehydrate some meals from leftovers all year, and eat them during my BPing trips.

Hard sided canisters present another problem when trying to pack the most food into them.  In that instance, I just use freezer bags and allow the contents to settle into the shape of the space allotted.  Mash them down, and then mash them some more.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You are telling me the vacuum bags will work to rehydrate the meals with hot water? How would i close it up to keep the heat in it or keep it from spilling in the cozy? Doesnt the sealer suck all the air out and then seal the bag pretty close to the contents...not leaving much room to open and add hot water?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 5
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After you vacuum seal, the bag will shrink, but once you open it up it will return to the original shape. It only collapses due to the atmospheric pressure around it, and having no air inside. But I would pack it inside a freezer bag anyway, because I like having a clean way to pack things out.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I roll the top down a couple of turns, and paper clip it shut.  (binder clips work also)  No leaks so far.  I do carry a gallon baggie for trash purposes.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ok, cool. thankyou. I am gonna test this method out this weekend at home. Thanks again..

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 8
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Vac bags are actually THICKER and more heavy-duty than freezer bags. SO they make a great bag to eat out of. As Zeke points out, just roll down and clip while it hydrates :-)
One quick tip - if you are sealing pointy items such as rice or pasta, it pays to line the bag with a clean new paper towel, then add the dry food, then seal. This prevents most of the chance of a puncture. When you go to eat, remove the paper towel and proceed. And hey, then you have a handy napkin ;-) I would suggest a brand that isn't bleached or printed of course......

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Dec. 10 2012, 10:29 am)
One quick tip - if you are sealing pointy items such as rice or pasta, it pays to line the bag with a clean new paper towel, then add the dry food, then seal. This prevents most of the chance of a puncture. When you go to eat, remove the paper towel and proceed. And hey, then you have a handy napkin

ahhhh..funny you posted this because I vaccume sealed some bbq spaghetti and all was well...I put it in the freezer and a few hours later I went to check it out and saw that it had lost its seal...I was thinking,"What the f&#k?"...and then realized that the dried spaghetti was so sharp it made a pin-hole puncture in the bag....Later in the day I caught your post about the paper towel trick...great idea, thats what I will do, thanks.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 10
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trust me, I learned that the hard way as well :D

--------------
 Post Number: 11
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great idead with the napkin Sarbar! I'm gonna use that!!!

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sarbar...is this your book by any chance???

Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple

I bought it sometime last year and I think its a great book..already made a bunch of the meals in it. I own a few different backpacking cook books and this is one of my favs...along with one called One Pan Wonders, which is also excellent.  Well, thanks for all your info and help..its always greatly appreciated.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 13
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:22 am)
Sarbar...is this your book by any chance???

Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple

I bought it sometime last year and I think its a great book..already made a bunch of the meals in it. I own a few different backpacking cook books and this is one of my favs...along with one called One Pan Wonders, which is also excellent.  Well, thanks for all your info and help..its always greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is :)

One Pan Wonders was written by Dicentra - so you have lots of books by us peeps :D

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice...very helpful. Thanks for all your hard work!!

--------------

author unknown
13 replies since Dec. 06 2012, 7:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply vaccume food sealer
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions