2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rice, How do you cook it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Roger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 8:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Curiosity is the reason for this question.

How do you prepare you rice and which method do you like best?  

Open Pan (toss the rice into boiling water)

Covered Pan (measured rice and water)

Dedicated rice Cooker

Other??

Most of the time I cook Basmati rice and I have used all three methods above.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At home, I cook brown or wild rice in a dedicated rice cooker.  In the field, I use Minute Rice, brown.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I mostly use covered pan, although I sometimes use open pan.  I've had my eye on a rice cooker ever since I ate from the one my cousin brought back from her nine years in Japan.  It was perfect every time.
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Covered pan.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5
Freeflow Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dedicated Rice cooker...I'm half Thai

--------------
"Did you pack the Bourbon?"
 Post Number: 6
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 7:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rice cooker, unless it is a boxed mix like Zatarains or something like that, then covered pan per directions.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At home I use the $8 NordicWare Microwave Veggie/Pasta/Rice Cooker I got from walmart.  Does a great job of cooking rice and pasta.

On the trail it is minute rice in a boil in bag in a cozy.
 Post Number: 8
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At home I bake it. Easiest method EVER.
1 1/2 cups brown rice (short, medium or long, it works with ANY whole grain rice I might add - purple, black, red....)
+
2 1/2 cups boiling water
A pinch of fine sea salt
if desired a Tablespoon oil
=
Bake for 1 hour at 375* in an 8x8" glass pan covered with foil.
Eat.

Without the oil added after baking you can dehydrate this rice easily.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

closed pot at home. (20 minutes steam in a closed pot. I don't simmer it. doesn't stick to the pan)
only reason I have cooked it camping is to stretch a soup or stew, so it was minute rice.

But the baking intrigues me. I want to do that.
 Post Number: 10
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is the Alton Brown method, adapted btw (I use a LOT less salt). You can do it with white as well, just bake for 30 minutes.

The water does have to be boiling for it to work - it is worth the baking, the grains are firm, individual and not mushy! Before I started doing it this way, I honestly didn't love brown rice, now it is all we eat :)

--------------
 Post Number: 11
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm surprised at how many folks actually cook rice on the trail. As opposed to cooking at home, dehydrating and then FBC'ing it. Doesn't cooking it on the trail require a lot more fuel to carry?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 12
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Dec. 18 2012, 3:18 pm)
I'm surprised at how many folks actually cook rice on the trail. As opposed to cooking at home, dehydrating and then FBC'ing it. Doesn't cooking it on the trail require a lot more fuel to carry?

Oh yes it does!! That is why I only carry instant rice (commercial) or rice I cooked and dried at home, my DIY instant rice.

No way am I cooking it from raw!!

--------------
 Post Number: 13
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Dec. 18 2012, 9:14 am)
At home I bake it. Easiest method EVER.
1 1/2 cups brown rice (short, medium or long, it works with ANY whole grain rice I might add - purple, black, red....)
+
2 1/2 cups boiling water
A pinch of fine sea salt
if desired a Tablespoon oil
=
Bake for 1 hour at 375* in an 8x8" glass pan covered with foil.
Eat.

Without the oil added after baking you can dehydrate this rice easily.

I followed this recipe two nights ago and the rice turned out perfect. I cooked short grain brown rice.

I didn't add oil because the olive oil spritzed onto the sides of the pan was plenty. I added in a corsely chopped onion and used Corning Ware instead of Pyrex.

Thanks for passing along Alton's method.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 14
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rice cooker at home.
"Success Rice" boil in bag on the trail.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brown rice every time.  At home, covered pot.  On the trail, I take rice I cooked and re-dried, then FBC.  

I'm thinking of converting to the pasta-style cooking, with extra water you drain off, after reading what Consumer Reports found about arsenic in rice (a few months ago; too lazy to go look up which issue).  Anyway, they said that though cooking and draining costs some nutrients, it also means you pour off much of the arsenic.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16
Soapboxpreacher Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 7:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would love to know how you guys cook rice at home and then dehydrate as well FBCing.   I have a rice cooker and a food saver let me know how I can make it out on the trail from prepping at home first.   I am gluten intolerant so I have to make my own meals now for the trail...almost all mountain house meals have wheat even the rice ones.  Plus those mountain house meals aren't very good.   If I can do some premade rice and dehydrated veggies on the trail with some salmon I will be a happy guy!
 Post Number: 17
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After discovering Thai Jasmine long grain white rice, I will never waste my time with any other type. Drooool... It is SOOO flavorful compared to any other white rice! And I've never enjoyed brown rice. (Too bitter for a Supertaster.) Anyhoo, At home I do the covered and measured method. But, I use a dedicated rice cooker at a friends place, and now I really gotta get myself one. Not only do they cook a mean pot of rice, but if you leave it on "keep warm" for an hour or so then you get some fantastic browned rice around the sides and bottom, and man! that's some good sheet!

Cheers!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 18
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TJ, if brown rice is too bitter...it probably isn't fresh rice to start off with. It should have a deep flavor and smell, but not bitter.

PS: baking it as I mentioned makes a wonderful brown rice. Especially Jasmine.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brown rice is a favorite at-home food but on the trail it's impossible for me to duplicate.  I dehydrated brown rice for a recent trip and the stuff just never rehydrated all that well even after 30 minutes in the pot cozy.  It was still hard.  Ergo no more rice for me.

And the store-bought "instant" brown rice tastes like crap, in my opinion.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 20
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Dec. 18 2012, 10:00 am)
It is the Alton Brown method, adapted btw (I use a LOT less salt). You can do it with white as well, just bake for 30 minutes.

The water does have to be boiling for it to work - it is worth the baking, the grains are firm, individual and not mushy! Before I started doing it this way, I honestly didn't love brown rice, now it is all we eat :)

Thanks for the tip.  White rice is easy but I haven't had the best luck cooking brown to my liking.  

I will definitely try this method.
19 replies since Dec. 17 2012, 8:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rice
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions