2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pancakes in the backcountry< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 8:01 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dabbled in making pancakes from a just add water pancake mix on my last backpacking trip.  The pancakes turned out alright but left a pretty massive burn on the bottom and on the stove.  Does anyone carry vegetable oil for cooking while on the trail?    

Thanks!
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For batter I like Honey Wheat by Krusteaz .  I carry cotton balls soaked with Canola oil to wipe the pan.  Agave is my syrup of choice, no refrigeration required.  Scorching your pan may also be caused by too much concentrated heat from a small diameter burner.  Usually my second cake turns out better than the first.  Partially because the pan is evenly heated.
Enjoy those cakes.
 Post Number: 4
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use an MSR skillet - very slick non-stick. Take oil! You can get a blend of canola/olive oil in packets.
Use an adjustable stove, that you can tune to a low flame, not a super hot stove such as a PocketRocket. Snowpeak's work fine, as does a slower stove like a MSR Windpro.

Oh yeah, oil. More oil. The fat isn't going to hurt you on a trip, especially in cold weather.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 5
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got an MSR skillet as well and I've found that oil beads up on it and doesn't spread evenly.  I wasn't sure if I needed to use oil with it or not.  Thanks for the ideas, love the cotton balls tip!

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
 Post Number: 6
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The oil beads due to the non-stick surface :) Pans at home do the same when new-ish.

Still, the oil will seep under the batter - and give a better texture. I also find that smaller pancakes are better - they cook quicker and are not too thick.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always carry a little cooking oil, just in a little plastic squeeze bottle I found somewhere, probably either rei or sportsmans warehouse.  One of my favorite backpacking breakfasts is "apple fritters."  I chop an apple into thick pancake batter (I think Kruzteaz honey wheat is the best instant mix) and drop spoonfuls into some hot oil in a nonstick pan.  Flatten it out a bit, flip after a couple of minutes.  Slather in butter and jam.  Delicious.
You can also use dehydrated apples that have been soaking in a little water for a while.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 8
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a bottle of cooking oil in squeeze bottle. I carry generic corn oil. I have used it to help start damp tinder, too. I found the squeeze bottle in a 4 pack of bottles in a ziploc bag near the cosmetics. (3 squeeze bottles and 1 mister bottle)

I like the idea of cotton balls. I bet cotton balls don't leak all over the bag when the bottle pops open, either.

The best Just Add Water pancake mix that I have found is the store brand from Kroger.

I like the shaker bottle Bisquik has for convenience. It does take up a lot of dead space, though. 50% of the bottle is empty so you can add water. It is just enough for me and my son.

My first pancake almost always sucks, too.

Peanut butter and honey on our pancakes, thank you very much.
 Post Number: 9
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Jan. 16 2013, 4:46 pm)
I always carry a little cooking oil, just in a little plastic squeeze bottle I found somewhere, probably either rei or sportsmans warehouse.  One of my favorite backpacking breakfasts is "apple fritters."  I chop an apple into thick pancake batter (I think Kruzteaz honey wheat is the best instant mix) and drop spoonfuls into some hot oil in a nonstick pan.  Flatten it out a bit, flip after a couple of minutes.  Slather in butter and jam.  Delicious.
You can also use dehydrated apples that have been soaking in a little water for a while.

This sounds good! Gonna have to try it.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 10
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The wider the head, the best end result.   :D

A small head, like a Pocket Rocket concentrates all of it's energy in a tiny space and usually ends up burning.

A wide head spreads the energy evenly, without developing any hot-spots. Throw in a few drops of oil from a small squeeze bottle and you'll achieve the ultimate finished result........
And you can't take this to OOC since it was intentionally posted this way   :;):

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 11
gbubbar Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like pancakes, especially when folded and filled with cooked fruit and nuts, dried dates, apples and apricots are fabulous. Here is what I am doing after the same burned pan to half uncooked mess attempt. Take pre-soaked cotton balls or gauze in baggy. I use snopeak pot and fry pan system. boil water in pan, use frypan on top of the boiling water to fry the cakes. Helps with temp and sticking.
 Post Number: 12
kwilliams Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a smaller MSR stove, and use a heat defuser to help with even heating of the pan.

I purchased mine from Packit Gourmet - works great for anything that is more than just boiling water.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Heat-Diffuser-p369.html
 Post Number: 13
DonnaWalken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely bring oil. Kids love pancakes so we have to pack along the pancake mix and oil.
 Post Number: 14
Rockybasin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always bring oil to bake with. As far as the pan I use my shallow baking pan for pancakes it works great. It is already seasoned for baking so you just put a small amount of oil in it and away you go. Pancakes, eggs, sausage whatever fits your urges.
I just love to have biscuits and gravy too. Keep the gravy hot on top of the oven while I bake the biscuits YUM hot biscuits and gravy!

--------------
Backpacker Oven
 Post Number: 15
Liling Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not the most original camping atmosphere but I use a teflon pan, which just makes life easier IMHO. I still bring a little bottle of extra virgin olive oil with me for the taste but with a teflon you can use it very sparingly. Also I find it easier to clean because of using it with oil.

--------------
Travel Addict
 Post Number: 16
InExtremis Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kwilliams @ Feb. 11 2013, 8:49 am)
I have a smaller MSR stove, and use a heat defuser to help with even heating of the pan.

I purchased mine from Packit Gourmet - works great for anything that is more than just boiling water.

Wow really good idea, didn't know this little gem existed. I have one in order.

It will be a good addition to my JetBoil arsenal.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 17
DerekD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kwilliams @ Feb. 11 2013, 7:49 am)

That would be a great addition to a pocket rocket if it truly does distribute the intensity of the heat out. Would be all thats needed to cook things such as pancakes or  quesadilla without burning them.
 Post Number: 18
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(InExtremis @ Feb. 27 2013, 8:29 am)
Wow really good idea, didn't know this little gem existed. I have one in order.

It will be a good addition to my JetBoil arsenal.

But JetBoil is one of the few systems that has a heat diffuser already built in...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 19
PJCrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just take butter and cook the batter in it, that way you get butter flavor and don't have to melt more on top - saves a step. T-fal makes a 7 inch skillet and a smaller "One Egg Wonder" that diffuse heat well enough to make pancakes over a pocket rocket.
 Post Number: 20
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Always do pancakes on the trail.  Love them, nothing better than to get a few of them going, pick them up, pour some syrup in the middle, fold like a taco and devour.  ;)

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 21
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be VERY WARY of heat diffusers with hot canister stoves!!!!! You can melt the stove!!!!! It concentrates the heat - I know, I warped a Primus stove after using a heat diffuser one too many times. It collapsed, tilted sideways and was done. You can also heat up the fuel canister to a danger point if not careful.
They are best for remote stoves!!

--------------
 Post Number: 22
OnDaRox Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I successfully made pancakes in the Grand Canyon over an MSR PocketRocket and an MSR Flex Skillet.  I used low heat, put a little olive oil in the pan, and had used the "just add water" mix.  I simply kept an eye on the pancakes and did move the pan around on the stove some to even out the heat.

I carried both olive oil and maple syrup in small squirt bottles.

IMG_0872.jpg by mrmlrlite, on Flickr

Yum!

Tom
 Post Number: 23
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oil you said - YUP in fact I carry EVO for my Pesto
 Post Number: 24
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always carry a little squeeze bottle of Canola Oil. And my camp pan is a very well seasoned itty bitty cast iron frying pan. Yes, CAST IRON. I ain't no ultralighter! lol! So, 1 squirt of oil on a piece of clean TP, and I give the pan a wipe with every new pancake. Never burns, never sticks.

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
23 replies since Jan. 16 2013, 8:01 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pancakes in the backcountry
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions