2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: favorite dinners?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 3:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i'm taking a winter trip.  pretty much decided that half the meals will be recipes out of the NOLS cookery, the other half of the freeze-dried variety.

what freeze-dried meals do people like best?

thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a good place to start:
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....n+house

Of Mountain House, I stick to the lasagna or beef stroganoff.  Pretty much any meal from PackitGourmet is pretty delicious.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not FD but lite and packable is Barilla three cheese tortelinni with pesto sauce. Delerously delicious.  Rehydrate the pasta in a freezer bag with boiled water, cozy till soft, drain, add sauce and parmesan cheese.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mountain House Chili Mac & Beef has been an extremely satisfying meal every time I've brought one with me.  

I also just started bringing these Thai meals in a box to work (forgetting the name at the moment, but I'll edit this once I get home).  Anyway, if you like stuff like curry noodles, peanut sauce noodles, pad thai, etc., they are awesome and all you need to do is add boiling water.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 5
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 30 2013, 5:26 pm)
Mountain House Chili Mac & Beef has been an extremely satisfying meal every time I've brought one with me.

+1 the chili mac
 Post Number: 6
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The thai meals I mentioned above are the "A Taste of Thai" brand

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just recently cooked up a fantastic spicy arrabbiata spaghetti that was pretty simple.
That's assuming you can dry your own food, or have someone do it for you.
A simple way to recreate this is to take barrila spicy arrabbiata sauce, add a can of diced tomatoes (canned). Pour that into your cooked noodles and simmer until thick. Let it cool overnight in your fridge so it thickens, and then dehydrate it until crunchy.
Add onion, and mushrooms if preferred when you add the diced tomatoes.

Otherwise, Yes MH Chili Mac, and backpackers pantry dark chocolate cheesecake for dessert. Yum.
 Post Number: 8
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tom kha paste + dried coconut milk + chicken + rice makes a rich soup.

Be sure to put whatever prepared meals you get into freezer bags before you leave.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
bukkit Search for posts by this member.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Apostrophes, Founder

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I liked my psuedo-thanksgiving fbc choices last trip; pouched chicken (bbq if you like), instant mashed potatoes (garlic? cheese? plain?) and a side of instant Stovetop stuffing.

It's too much food, a great serving size, almost enough to share, and only requires boiling water and prep.

Chris

--------------
"If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees." ~ Kahlil Gibran
 Post Number: 10
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Packit Gourmet's meals are all excellent, but have a ton of packaging, so they are pretty bulky.  Also, the serving bags are skinny and deep, harder than most to eat out of.  Great food, though, especially the gumbo and the breakfast smoothies.  Ate their many bean salad on a trip just a few days ago, it was outstanding but, again, tons of packaging.  Overall, my favorites are Mary Jane's Farm.  Far better, IMHO, than Mountain House, relatively low in sodium, and extremely packable (especially if you're using a bear can).  The packaging is paper, so it can even be burned.  If I'm on a short trip where space and weight are not a factor I'll take a Packit Gourmet meal or two, but mostly I stick with Mary Jane's Farm.  Chilimac and Chili con carne are both winners.
 Post Number: 11
Rockybasin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not freeze dried. But my favorite dinner is fresh hot pizza baked in the Bemco Oven.

--------------
Backpacker Oven
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MH Turkey Tetrazzini and Beef Stroganoff are two of my favorites. The chicken breast with mashed potatos is OK. I prefer making my own FBC type meals as that way I can control the salt content plus it's a lot cheaper.
 Post Number: 13
Rockybasin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know what actually my favorite lunch is pizza at the top of Mt. Whitney. That is the best. Photo of the pizza.

--------------
Backpacker Oven
 Post Number: 14
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Plus one on the Barilla three cheese tortelinni with pesto sauce! You may also make your own marinara sauce with tomato powder and your own spice mix (The Spice House Tomato Powder). I frequently add freezed-dried items purchased from Packit Gourmet, like bell peppers, mushrooms, zuccini, chicken, etc., for a dinner that tastes better than any commercial meal, with zero sodium (if you wish) and it generally is ligher. I can also control portion size too.

--------------
Dennis Waite
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like Red Beans and Rice with a pouch of seasoned chicken added. Allow several minutes of soaking in hot water for the beans and rice. Add chicken toward the end of the heating cycle.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
14 replies since Jan. 30 2013, 3:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply favorite dinners?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions