2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Recipes and Cooking Ideas for the Jetboil System< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ozark Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spend every possible minute outdoors either fishing, backcountry camping, mountaineering, boating, or paintballing/military training. For every one of these activities I bring my Jetboil.  I don't know if there are any other forum users that also use the Jetboil system, but I wanted to share some simple recipes and cooking ideas with y'all.

Breakfast

Cheesy Grits

Instant Grits
Shelf-Stable Cheddar Cheese
Bacon Bits or shelf-stable Bacon
Heat the desired amount of water to boiling for the amount of grits you want via the directions on the packet. Stir in grits and then add cheese and bacon and stir till combined.

Lunch

Tuna Carrot Casserole

1 Packet Tuna
1 Large Carrot, sliced thin
Egg Noodles
1/2 Onion
2 packets mayo
French Fried Onions
Boil water and cook egg noodles until tender, dump out most of the water but leave some. Add in carrot and onion and heat until fragrant, stirring continuously. Once water is evaporated, add in tuna and mayo and combine. Top with crunchy french fried onions.

Dinner

Taco Chicken Wraps

1 can white meat chicken
Taco Seasoning
tortillas
avocado
tomato
freeze dried corn
Add corn into JetBoil and cover with water, bring to a boil. Dump out the water. Drain chicken and add to cup. Add taco seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, until warm. Serve on tortillas with slices of avocado and tomatoes.

The best part about all of these recipes is they’re great for a multi-day hike because all of them involve foods that don’t need refrigeration. There are tons of resources out there for freeze-dried food recipes that will give mileage to your JetBoil. With a little planning and experimentation, you could make almost anything with a JetBoil.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You bring your Jetboil paintballing?

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He forgot the best ingredient:

SPAM

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 4
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome Ozark! Baptism by fire -- you're learning the most important quality in being a member of this forum: sarcasm!

Those recipes look pretty good, actually very similar ideas have been discussed here before. FYI there's a sub-forum just on backcountry cooking, recipes, etc.

JetBoil users: there is a core of loyalists on here and a bunch of others who poo-poo it away, same as anywhere else. Your recipes look like they would work for a wide variety of cook systems, not just JB.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bacon is the only thing needed...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Freeze-dried corn doesn't need to be cooked to rehydrate. Soaking it in cool water works just fine. ;-)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have 2 jet boil stoves and three pots - the sumo titanium, sumo regular, and a 1L companion cup.

I also have several other backpacking stoves, including pocket rockets and SVEA 123R

I've never used any of them for anything other than boiling water, then using the water in a separate container (now usually a steamer bag inside an insulated lunch bag.)

Seems like all that cheese and grits and sauce would make a hell of a mess in the pot.

Also, I was told by jetboil that you shouldn't cook food in the titanium pots.  Use the titanium pot only for boiling water.  In fact, the jetboil website has it in all caps on their website:

FOR FAST AND EFFICIENT WATER BOILING ONLY
 Post Number: 8
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After 3 years and hundreds of cooking hours I still absolutely ADORE my JetBoil Helios. The most efficient stove I've ever used. (And I've pretty much used 'em all.) And yes, it actually can cook VERY well. That said, to actually cook in a Helios the windscreen MUST be attached, and you need to have exceptional vision. Huh? What's that he said? Where does having exceptional vision come into cooking? Here's where; The flame required to cook on a Helios is SO incredibly tiny that it is truly nearly invisible. But that's all ya need. With a pale blue flame 1/8 of an inch high and about as big around as a dime I can cook bacon, eggs, perogies, SPAM, glorious SPAM, fish fillets, hash browns, ya name it. That Jetboil Helios can even hold a BakePacker steambaker (with a little persuasion) and produce an enormous 8 inch diameter muffin, or 5 more conventional sized ones. (Again with the flame turned almost to nothing.) So yeah, JetBoils can  cook. You just have to have the patience, the dexterity, and the eyes to see and control a minuscule flame. I love cookin' on my Helios, and that breakfast posted by the OP is gonna be getting cooked on my next stomp. Hooo-ya!!!  Droooollll...

Cheers!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You do know there's a cooking forum, right?
 Post Number: 10
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 22 2013, 1:47 pm)

Yeah, and I haven't been there enough of late :D

It is funny...I have multiple JB's. But I never take them. I always end up with my Snowpeak and a simple HAA pot - that is wide and shallow. Easier to clean.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Feb. 22 2013, 2:54 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 22 2013, 1:47 pm)

Yeah, and I haven't been there enough of late :D

No Kiddin'! let's change that. Somebody give me their favorite trout recipe! Please! Someone else can tell me their best mild garlic and herb butter recipe.( For Dungeness Crab) And thennnn... And NO and then! And thenn?! No and then! And then?! No and then!! Annnnd thennnnnn? NO AND THEN!!! ... Ahem! Sorry 'bout that! Where were we? Oh yeah, revitalizing Backcountry Cooking. Anyways, Howabout some Beer Batter recipies? I've already given ya's my 3 minute shepherd's pie recipe; If anyone asks, maybe I'll share my Dehydrated Ground Beef Gravel Instant Meat Pie for Backpacking Recipe.  (I know, long title.) Ye have to ask for the recipe though, remember; we're trying to bring some life back to this little alcove in the forum.  

Cheers y'all!

And for those that didn't get the And thennn reference.

:D  Peace!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TJCeeJay @ Feb. 24 2013, 3:07 pm)
Somebody give me their favorite trout recipe! Please!

You need a gallon sizes freezer bag, some light italian dressing, a fish grilling basket, and a hardwood fire.

Fish go in the bag with the dressing, drain excess, then in the basket, then over the fire for just a few minutes.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TJ, I keep active on the blogs and Facebook...but with 3 kids now...yeah, everything else is behind schedule. LOL!

--------------
 Post Number: 14
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

209 Bourbon St
 Post Number: 15
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Feb. 24 2013, 6:56 pm)

209 Bourbon St

Grilled Poisson Provençal - $22.00?   ???

--------------
14 replies since Feb. 22 2013, 1:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Recipes and Cooking Ideas for the Jetboil System
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions