2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Vacuum-bagged pre-coooked frozen food?, Ever tried this?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 9:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wondering if anyone's ever tried this; here's what I'm thinking for the first day of a multi-day summer hike:

1. At home before the trip, grill some steaks to perfection.
2. Let 'em cool off, then vacuum-bag and freeze them.
3.Take them to the mountains on dry ice in the car and pack them in the next morning in a soft insulated lunch box.
4. At the first evening's camp, boil the sealed vacuum bags in a pot of water (with potatoes and carrots) to reheat the steaks.
5. Open the vacuum bags, and eat like Kings and Queens at the first camp. No campfire needed. Don't forget the A-1.

Thinking about the same thing with lasagna!

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1. If you cook them to perfection then reheat them they'll be overcooked.
2.  Just take raw steaks and cook them in camp.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 1:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Mar. 03 2013, 11:07 pm)
2. áJust take raw steaks and cook them in camp.

We will be either above timberline, or in an area picked clean of wood, or where fires are prohibited, and don't want to carry a grill/grate.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 4
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 4:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have cooked brats (we sear them and then simmer them in Guiness). Freeze them and vacuum seal them. On the way to ferry, we keep them on ice and transport them in a soft sided cooler (we are kayaking) and put them in boiling water (still sealed) when we get to camp . Of course we have fresh bakery rolls.
 Post Number: 5
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cook the steaks to perfection.
eat them for dinner.
Cook a couple more, cut them into bite size cubes and put them in a bag with a little brown gravy mix, carrots and potatoes.
Freeze.
Add water, boil to have a bangin' stew and still eat like kings.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnhens @ Mar. 07 2013, 4:50 am)
We have cooked brats (we sear them and then simmer them in Guiness). Freeze them and vacuum seal them. On the way to ferry, we keep them on ice and transport them in a soft sided cooler (we are kayaking) and put them in boiling water (still sealed) when we get to camp . Of course we have fresh bakery rolls.

Yeah, that's what we're talking about!

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OldGuyWalkin @ Mar. 07 2013, 10:59 am)
cook the steaks to perfection.
eat them for dinner.
Cook a couple more, cut them into bite size cubes and put them in a bag with a little brown gravy mix, carrots and potatoes.
Freeze.
Add water, boil to have a bangin' stew and still eat like kings.

That, too!

--------------
6 replies since Mar. 03 2013, 9:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Vacuum-bagged pre-coooked frozen food?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions