2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ask a Chef !, I am a chef here to help with any issue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
masterhiker2012 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 4:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi people I am a chef offering any helpful info to you regarding back country cooking and ultra light packing . Just ask and I will help best I can .also others may add comments please do . Thanks
Chef
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rrrright.  Mkay.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, I'll try one.  How do I make my daily dinner allotment of 6 ounces of dehydrated or freeze dried food taste like gourmet, while limiting my cooking method to FBC? (freezer bag, as in ziplock freezer bag, cooking)  I am a good cook, and dehydrate some of my own meals, but so far am limited by the need to keep the fat out of my recipes.  No sour cream, no fatty meats.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would carry a roux mix with you and or make some kind of light sauce to bring out flavor and also don't forget basic salt and pepper . Depending on what food you are cooking most food is best with a sauce .
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beef chicken and veal cubes to make a stock and ad roux to make sauce . If u give me a example of a meal I can help u sauce it  eq parts fat flower 1:1 cooked till Blound will work . Cool and zip bag  make stock from cube then add roux till thickened strain and add top of cooked food . Light season and serve. Easy fast cheap and light
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(masterhiker2012 @ Mar. 26 2013, 11:45 am)
Beef chicken and veal cubes to make a stock and ad roux to make sauce . If u give me a example of a meal I can help u sauce it  eq parts fat flower 1:1 cooked till Blound will work . Cool and zip bag  make stock from cube then add roux till thickened strain and add top of cooked food . Light season and serve. Easy fast cheap and light

With all due respect, I don't think you know what FBC is.  Just a SMALL pot of boiling water and a ziplock bag with all of the ingredients.  You "rehydrate" but there's no cooking and certainly no straining.  :laugh:

Carrying roux is questionable.  It's heavy and messy in hot weather.

But I don't mean to be mean...   So, here's something I've been working on.  I wanted to take a pasta carbonara on our upcoming trip.  I'm actually willing to "cook" on this trip, so I will have a decent-sized pot but only one pot.  I tried a dozen "backpacking carbonara" recipes over the weekend, not to mention a bunch of packaged Alfredo mixes.  BLECH.  Any ideas?

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dry whole milk , parm cheese, butter buds or real butter
Mix reduce mixing over flame .  They sell can butter . I would use that but it's up to you they even have milk fat powder or protean shakes u can use to thick . I will test this out today or tommorow and give you a sound recipe . I love that stuff too. You have good taste
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(masterhiker2012 @ Mar. 26 2013, 12:21 pm)
Dry whole milk , parm cheese, butter buds or real butter
Mix reduce mixing over flame .  They sell can butter . I would use that but it's up to you they even have milk fat powder or protean shakes u can use to thick . I will test this out today or tommorow and give you a sound recipe . I love that stuff too. You have good taste

Yeah, I've already tried that.  Used butter powder, parmesan powder, powdered milk, powdered eggs and shelf-stable bacon.  Problem is the powdered milk, I think.  It just tastes funky.  Carbonara isn't cheesy like Alredo and my kid loves carbonara but alfredo, not so much.  I'm not trying to make macaroni and cheese (which is a LOT easier.)

I read something about making my own powdered eggs and I think that might be an improvement.  Uses raw eggs for dehydrating instead of cooked.  Just haven't had a chance to try it.

Btw, I've done my stint as a chef.  Grande Diplome from Cordon Bleu, two years in Paris, 10 years running my own kitchen.  Of course, I can't cook anything without 2 cutting boards, 3 knives, 5 pots and 3 hours...  :D

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I think you need to change your powder milk from that cheep stuf to hh bakers grade powder and no eggs the eggs will break this try the baker grade milk as this is what I am useing now . Give me 20 min I will send u a pic of what I made
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok done napp it tast awesome aside from being healthy it is real good on flavor . Yes def change the type of powder milk you are useing that's the key to making this work also add powder hh milk and starch and butter cold and whisk them slowly bring to simmer keep whisking and ad butter as it reduces slowly bam ther you go all other stuff at end
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some time simple things are over thought and messes people up "do not over think"
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 26 2013, 10:36 am)
Rrrright.  Mkay.

Something wrong with you son?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(masterhiker2012 @ Mar. 26 2013, 2:57 pm)
Ok done napp it tast awesome aside from being healthy it is real good on flavor . Yes def change the type of powder milk you are useing that's the key to making this work also add powder hh milk and starch and butter cold and whisk them slowly bring to simmer keep whisking and ad butter as it reduces slowly bam ther you go all other stuff at end

What's "hh milk"?  And, really, there's no "whisking" either.  Choices are titanium spork or cheap chopsticks.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wisk with spork or what ever u have hh is a powder milk used by bakers I used it a few times I do not no the exact name for it I will look it up or ask the baker at work but it is what you are missing
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(masterhiker2012 @ Mar. 26 2013, 4:05 pm)
Wisk with spork or what ever u have hh is a powder milk used by bakers I used it a few times I do not no the exact name for it I will look it up or ask the baker at work but it is what you are missing

It's the high-heat stuff, I figured it out.  Not sure why that would make a difference.  I'm pretty sure that the high high is used to kill off some enzyme or another that inhibits rising, which is the reason why recipes call for scalding or bringing milk to a boil before using.

Everybody recommends Nido powdered milk and I think I have Carnation.  Looked up the difference and the glaring thing is that Carnation is non-fat, while Nido contains saturated fat.  I think it's the fat I'm missing.  Nido dissolves in warm water, too, which would be a lot easier.

Almost everywhere else in the world, they sell longlife heavy cream.  It would be worth it for me to carry a small carton for this!  [grumble]

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with u
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No wonder you been having troubles.  Nido is the only way.  That fat free stuff makes white water.

The other thing that makes FBC taste so much better is EVOO.  I'll add it to every meal, given the chance.  Fat, fat, fatty fat, yummmmm.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not

going

to

bite.

See ya.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Mar. 26 2013, 5:46 pm)
The other thing that makes FBC taste so much better is EVOO.  I'll add it to every meal, given the chance.  Fat, fat, fatty fat, yummmmm.

I agree.  I've been taking a small bottle of it lately.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 1:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread has been edited--I smelled a fish and waved the bull$hit flag, masterbaiter2012 got psychotic, and the two post were edited. Meaning deleted.

"it's a wonderful thing, the destruction of words."

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 2:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow dude chill out you some day may. Become hafe the man I am
 Post Number: 22
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(masterhiker2012 @ Mar. 26 2013, 1:57 pm)
Ok done napp it tast awesome aside from being healthy it is real good on flavor .

Give me 20 min I will send u a pic of what I made

Well besides being done in 7 minutes instead of 13, where's the picture of the awesomeness?

You sound like acliff to me.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 23
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do you get that orange stuff off of your fingers after eating a bag of Cheetos ?

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lol cold beer condensation
 Post Number: 25
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's your favorite flavor of Mountain House?

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 26
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, I learned something. I'll see if I can't ask some good questions. I like cooking when I'm overnighting as opposed to longer hikes. I also plan on dusting off my old food dryer to take advantage of produce coming out of the garden this year.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 27
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Mar. 26 2013, 1:27 pm)
Everybody recommends Nido powdered milk and I think I have Carnation.  Looked up the difference and the glaring thing is that Carnation is non-fat, while Nido contains saturated fat.  I think it's the fat I'm missing.  Nido dissolves in warm water, too, which would be a lot easier.

Yes on the Nido. That carnation stuff is gross. It always smells rancid to me.

REI has Milk Man and Alpine Aire powdered milks. Two more good brands. Nice to have choices.

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 28
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ok maybe I am way off base here but isn't carbonara egg, parm and bacon?..

What is w/the milk products??

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Mar. 28 2013, 5:41 pm)
What is w/the milk products??

For troll food. Obviously.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

O Great Oracle, prey tell me what menu to pack for 28 days of food, for TWO, ( no resupply) and keep the total food weight down to < 35 lbs. since it it's stoves only and I'll have to carry all of my fuel as well.

Please break it down into Breakfast/Lunch/Supper/Snack tables with all meals pre- weighed so I can decide which I want to take.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
47 replies since Mar. 26 2013, 4:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ask a Chef !
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions