2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backcountry Coffee, Brewing the perfect cup of java< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
theonecanoe Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 9:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Coffee in the backcountry...a great way to start your day.  For convenience I usually just take instant coffee. Those little pre-measured pouches work well, but it's just not quite the same as a cup of fresh brewed java.  I'm sure there are many, many methods of brewing up a good cup of coffee, but I'd like to share a few of the methods that have worked for me in the past, so I put together this little video:
Backcountry Coffee Video

Cheers   Wayne
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for posting, and well filmed, but nothing new. For me, anyway.

And, you omitted my favorite, "cowboy coffee". Slow boil a big handful of coarse ground coffee in a kettle or pot, wait til the grounds settle out, and enjoy.

Cheers!

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 3
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Starbucks Via for me, no mess no fuss.

Before that I just drank cowboy coffee.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 4
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maxwell House Filter packs.
Cowboy coffee without the wait.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Assuming one likes Maxwell House. :p

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's better than no coffee at all
 Post Number: 7
Soapboxpreacher Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a jetboil french press it is decent and does an OK job for I dont like sediment in my coffee.  I have tried Via and they are pretty good.  But the pour over seems GSI works good and breaks down small.  I have also brought my AeroPress and nothing beats it!!!  Best coffee on the planet!  It is bigger and heavier but wow it is soooo good!
 Post Number: 8
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Via here too.  Light, fast, minimal clean up.
 Post Number: 9
cahiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 3:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love stopping at my favorite coffee place on the way to work, getting a cup to drink and a half pound of beans for later.  I leave the beans in my car all day, and when I go home my car smells heavenly!

But, if I take the same beans, grind them up, triple bag them in ziplocs and put them in a bear canister with the rest of my food for a few days, everything in the bear canister starts to smell yucky.  I have an MSR mug mate and a jetboil coffee press and they both make great coffee, at the expense of messy coffee grounds to dispose of, and all the food in my bear canister smelling like coffee by the end of the trip.

Now I just drink the nearly weightless, tiny Via packets on long trips.
 Post Number: 10
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Via for me as well. Some powdered creamer and sugar for this wimp coffee drinker. Virtually no weight and minimal mess.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 11
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+43 for Via... Columbia Medium this time out.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 12
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried Via and did not like it.  Did a direct comparison one morning w/the Taster Choice Tubes..CT won, but they were both judged poo poo.

Last weekend, my wife brings me up a mug of coffee as my daughter and I were watching Sat morning cartoons.

Wowo, that was good, but it wasn't our usual brand...

T'was Via.  She had it in a much larger mug than I did at work while we did the comparison.  interesting......looks like that is what I'll be taking along.

I've used french press, (at home exclusively), aluminum drip pots from the 60's...bulky but weigh nothing, and various other tries.  The drip and press made the best but they are just too big.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OldGuyWalkin @ Apr. 01 2013, 3:36 pm)

No it ain't.  Any prepacked filter pod thingies I've ever tried were barely colored water.  My preference is for drip coffee, but I've gotten lazy (and UL) and joined the ranks of those using Via.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In fact, in the past experiments with both pods and instant (pre-Via) left me switching to tea before the week was out.  I'd much rather drink tea, even mediocre tea, than bad coffee.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Apr. 03 2013, 10:33 pm)

(OldGuyWalkin @ Apr. 01 2013, 3:36 pm)

No it ain't.  Any prepacked filter pod thingies I've ever tried were barely colored water.  My preference is for drip coffee, but I've gotten lazy (and UL) and joined the ranks of those using Via.

The Maxwell House Filter packs are designed for drip coffee makers and easy clean up. I found that 1 pack makes 4 reasonable cups of coffee, therefore, I use 2 to make 8 cups.

I can use it in my propane drip, or in my cowboy coffee...I can rip it open and put it in a press. I can put the entire contents into my 2 cup espresso maker.

These aren't the tea-bag things, these are real coffee in sealed filter.

Folgers made "coffee bags" and they were useless.

But I have Via's in my backback for one-off's. I have them in my desk at work, too.

But for when I have time on the trail or car camping. I will boil up a pot of water and drop a couple of these in.
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a total coffee snob.  If it's not fresh ground, it might as well be instant.  Though I might be willing to try those things, I'm dubious.  I sampled the product of a "K-cup" thing at Costco the other day and it was pathetic.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Apr. 04 2013, 11:27 am)
I'm a total coffee snob.  If it's not fresh ground, it might as well be instant.  Though I might be willing to try those things, I'm dubious.  I sampled the product of a "K-cup" thing at Costco the other day and it was pathetic.

all of a sudden, I am visualizing a scene from City Slickers where Billy Crystal has a battery operated coffee grinder.

+1 to the coffee snob!
 Post Number: 18
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another for Via.

While not the BEST, it's good enough for the trail IMO.  
Plus, I like the no-muss, no-fuss aspect as well.
 Post Number: 19
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rebecca,

You are a real pita.

I had EVERYTHING dialed in for the spring season including my coffee...yeah Via.

Now after reading your thoughts I must step back and reconsider.  I have a friend who has a wonderful three branch coffee store, (Cafe Kubal) and I have always gone to his place on Thursday afternoon, had him grind up his freshest roast of the day and bring it along.  

First morning...French press or drip...big bulky a pain to carry...but everyone who joined me for coffee in the morning would drop to their knees in gratitude.

I would swipe a bunch of mini moos from the c-store and sugars in the raw.....I think my coffee setup and cream & sugar weighed more than my sleeping bag.  It certainly takes more space.  See coffee pot on back of pack

Now ya really have me thinking what a cop out I am for considering the via.

Hell, I can haul it in

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 20
wngmv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just read that caffeine narrows your blood vessels so your heart has to pump extra hard to get blood to where it need to be. I love a morning cup as much as the next guy, but not sure if I want that when laboring with a 25 lbs pack.

But, I go for tea. Easy brewing, much better taste (for my Oriental taste buds) and more caffeine.
 Post Number: 21
CNYoutdoorsman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the ideas. I hate instant coffee
 Post Number: 22
Idaho Bob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Via works for me, but before Via I used a french press that fit inside a nalgene bottle.  That was good coffee!  theonecanoe's stove tells me he is a backpacker from the 70s.  Nicely done video.
 Post Number: 23
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably too heavy for most people, but a stovetop espresso maker does it for me. Worth the weight IMO.

Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ogg @ Apr. 14 2013, 1:33 pm)
Probably too heavy for most people, but a stovetop espresso maker does it for me. Worth the weight IMO.

That's a Svea 123, isn't it?

Holy smokes, I thought I was the only one still using that so-last-century stove.

But I gotta love its simplicity and reliability.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
IronCreek Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I put my favorite coffee w/powdered creamer and sugar in a disposable filter and then fold it a couple of times and staple it closed.  Just drop in hot water, stir, and enjoy.  I make several and keep them in a zip lock.
 Post Number: 26
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Apr. 10 2013, 4:52 am)
Rebecca,

You are a real pita.

You aren't the first to express that opinion, and I'm sure won't be the last  :p

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 27
Bufflerrazz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will give up my morning coffee when they pry my cold dead fingers from around my cup. Same for instant, may as well be decaf. Call me a coffee snob if you like, I'm ok with it.

A number of years ago I tried steeping coarse grounds in cold water overnight and then running thru a filter. Did this at home before the trip. It made a sort of concentrate that went into a small nalge bottle. I then added a few ounces to boiling water. It was passable, better than instant. Since then its been cowboy coffee. I kind of like the little bit of grit in the bottom of the cup. Mornings may see a small piece of dark chocolate added, or a splash of bourbon after dinner.

--------------
There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone. Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.
Buffler Razz
 Post Number: 28
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My personal favorite: http://www.rei.com/product/794391/rei-vacuum-infuser-mug-15-fl-oz

Best.  Coffee.  Ever.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 29
Krocker360 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually just take instant coffee. Those little pre-measured pouches work well

yep, definitely work well because all in there, If it didn't matches my taste I just adjust and put milk or sugar.
28 replies since Mar. 29 2013, 9:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backcountry Coffee
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions