2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Food question, Food question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gtacs Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 6:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a hiking newbie.  I've done plenty of day hikes but no over-nights.  I've been reading allot about food to take on over-night hikes, and have been wondering why nobody takes  Meals-Ready-to-Eat (MREs). When taken out of the packaging the MREs are a good source of calories, and don't appear to weigh a whole lot (I am buying a scale to get exact weights).  The best part of it to seems to be you don't need to buy/carry any cooking pots because the MREs come with a pouch to cook the entrees in and you eat them right out of the bags the food is in.  Is there something I am missing as to why the MREs are a bad idea?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They're heavy and taste like [censored]

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gtacs @ Apr. 17 2013, 4:10 pm)
I am a hiking newbie.  I've done plenty of day hikes but no over-nights.  I've been reading allot about food to take on over-night hikes, and have been wondering why nobody takes  Meals-Ready-to-Eat (MREs). When taken out of the packaging the MREs are a good source of calories, and don't appear to weigh a whole lot (I am buying a scale to get exact weights).  The best part of it to seems to be you don't need to buy/carry any cooking pots because the MREs come with a pouch to cook the entrees in and you eat them right out of the bags the food is in.  Is there something I am missing as to why the MREs are a bad idea?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Lots of folks do take them, actually.  There's not inherently a "bad idea."  Just not many people take them who've been doing this awhile and realized other choices. :p

They're not light, first off.  Compared to bricks, yes, but they're quite a lot heavier than most dehydrated and/or freeze-dried options available.  You have nearly as much weight invested in the packaging as you do in the food.  And from what I've tried (although I admit its been years) they're not all that tasty.

BUT, one can certainly use them.  I know folks that do.  I just don't choose to.  You'll find a pretty strong contingent here of people who like to prepare their own backcountry meals, something I've done for years and wouldn't go back.

My $.02 anyway.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

gtacs:  Start here: http://www.onepanwonders.com/ and then don't look back.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Water weighs two pounds the quart. MREs are fully hydrated while dehydrated or freeze dried foods are essentially water free. So for any trip of more than, say, a day in a well watered area you're carrying a lot of unnecessary water weight around in MREs.

Now for a weekend I've been known to carry in a selection from my favorite Chinese restaurant so I wouldn't wave away MREs for a weekender myself, though I'd prefer my dim sum!  But for a 5 day? No way would I want to carry all that, both the water weight and the trash the packaging adds up to (and you DO have to pack it out). Not when there's flowing water or snow to melt at any rate.
 Post Number: 6
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just use Mtn House.  Tried fixing my own for a few years but you can't beat the ease of prepaked.  They have some decent ones.  Besides its not like you're eating them 365 days a year.  MRE's are loaded with sodium and very high cal.  If you can eat a entire MRE in one sitting well........
 Post Number: 7
gtacs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

-Thank you very much for your replies, I didnt realize how easy it would be to make things to bring and cook.  Looking at the onepanwonders website, there is no comparison between the weights, which makes a big difference when packing for a multi-day hike.

Thanks
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out this site for freezer bag cooking meals and other tasty meals:

http://www.trailcooking.com/
 Post Number: 9
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I showed up here and the first thing I learned was the FBC. I haven't looked back.

And welcome newbie. Understand you are going to learn a lot of stuff. Make notes on what happened, what you liked and what you didn't. Fix what you didn't like. Do more of what you did like.

Enjoy.
 Post Number: 10
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My biggest problem with MRE's and storebought dried foods are the preservatives and additives they junk them up with.
There's a ton of sodium in most of them as well.
If you can get away from them in any way, I recommend them.
If you eat the occasion meal here and there it's not a huge deal, but if you're concerned with things like that, it's something to consider.
 Post Number: 11
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of the Freezed dried meals have a ton of sugar in them too besides  all the sodium. If you are diabetic or have to watch your sugars then it's difficult to find some that are low in sugar.
 Post Number: 12
cbump Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is the onepanwonders website working for anyone?
 Post Number: 13
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, seems to be working for me.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 14
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just one comment on MREs: there is a reason the little chiclet of gum included in them is usually a laxative....

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
13 replies since Apr. 17 2013, 6:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Food question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions