2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Homemade trailbars, any favorite recipies out there?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jjlvscg Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 3:37 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all,
I have just started in to making my own backpacking meals and now am venturing into trail-bars. I was wondering if you have any favorite recipes?
I made these last week and they turned out really tasty: http://howtowilderness.com/recipes/logan-bread/

--------------
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.

John Muir
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
calmquist Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is what we use at the BSA Northern Tier National High Adventure Base.

This is a recipe for what the Sommers Canoe Base calls Hudson Bay Bread, or sometimes just Bay Bread. In the 1960's, the Base got the recipe from the Minnesota Outward Bound School, and for several years it was baked at the Barbara Ann Bakery in Ely. At the bakery, it was baked in a convection oven, so it is difficult to get exactly the same effect in a conventional oven. This recipe comes very close. One important technique left out of the Base's official instructions is that rolled oats should be used (not instant oats), and more importantly, they should be ground up. A blender works fine for about a cup at a time, and a food processor would probably work even better. Bay Bread is most excellent as lunchtime fare on canoe trips when you are burning thousands of calories each day. It is convenient, easy to pack, and is a concentrated food source that everyone seems to look forward to on the trail. When you see the ingredients, you will see why it does NOT make a very good "light snack" at home.

1 1/2 lbs. (3 cups) butter or margarine - soft
4 cups sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup (light Karo)
2/3 cup honey
2 tsp. maple flavoring (Mapleine)

Cream together the above ingredients. Gradually add:

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
19 cups finely ground rolled oats (see above)

Press into cake pan or large sheet pan about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes. Do not overcook, as it will get crispy and brittle. Take out of oven and use spatula to press down (keeps it from crumbling). Cut into exactly 3 1/2 inch squares. Package in plastic bags with as many as there are crew members (one each for lunch). Slather with massive quantities of peanut butter and jelly.
 Post Number: 3
jjlvscg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(calmquist @ Apr. 20 2013, 8:28 pm)
This is what we use at the BSA Northern Tier National High Adventure Base.

This is a recipe for what the Sommers Canoe Base calls Hudson Bay Bread, or sometimes just Bay Bread. In the 1960's, the Base got the recipe from the Minnesota Outward Bound School, and for several years it was baked at the Barbara Ann Bakery in Ely. At the bakery, it was baked in a convection oven, so it is difficult to get exactly the same effect in a conventional oven. This recipe comes very close. One important technique left out of the Base's official instructions is that rolled oats should be used (not instant oats), and more importantly, they should be ground up. A blender works fine for about a cup at a time, and a food processor would probably work even better. Bay Bread is most excellent as lunchtime fare on canoe trips when you are burning thousands of calories each day. It is convenient, easy to pack, and is a concentrated food source that everyone seems to look forward to on the trail. When you see the ingredients, you will see why it does NOT make a very good "light snack" at home.

1 1/2 lbs. (3 cups) butter or margarine - soft
4 cups sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup (light Karo)
2/3 cup honey
2 tsp. maple flavoring (Mapleine)

Cream together the above ingredients. Gradually add:

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
19 cups finely ground rolled oats (see above)

Press into cake pan or large sheet pan about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes. Do not overcook, as it will get crispy and brittle. Take out of oven and use spatula to press down (keeps it from crumbling). Cut into exactly 3 1/2 inch squares. Package in plastic bags with as many as there are crew members (one each for lunch). Slather with massive quantities of peanut butter and jelly.

thanks calmquist!! I have seen this recipe and will give it a try...

--------------
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.

John Muir
 Post Number: 4
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alton Brown makes some good ones (I made these for a group hike at Cumberland Island National Seashore):

Ingredients
8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
1 1/2 ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately 1/2 cup
3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
1 1/2 ounces wheat germ, approximately 1/2 cup
6 ounces honey, approximately 1/2 cup
1 3/4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/4 cup packed
1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries
Directions
Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.

Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Per Serving: Calories: 203; Total Fat: 7 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 grams; Protein: 5 grams; Total carbohydrates: 32 grams; Sugar: 20 grams Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 4 milligrams; Sodium: 63 milligrams

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out this site. She has a lot of homemade bars, balls and cookies on her blog.

http://blog.trailcooking.com/page/2/
 Post Number: 6
DayHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those of you that like to add input related to hiking cooking and gear hiking cooking and gear etc. you may enjoy this.

--------------
Extreme Hiking Social Community Hiking - Thu-Hiking and Day Hikes.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Outamatches Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am going to tag onto this thread as it goes with what he is looking for.
How about a breakfast bar with carbs, protein, fruit. I am trying to simplify breakfast down to a bar but I don't know how to get protein in it.

--------------
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden itself"
Oscar Wilde
 Post Number: 8
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Outamatches @ May 03 2013, 1:24 pm)
I am going to tag onto this thread as it goes with what he is looking for.
How about a breakfast bar with carbs, protein, fruit. I am trying to simplify breakfast down to a bar but I don't know how to get protein in it.

I'm always shocked at the amount of sugar in these bars. One way to get protein in your bars is (I'm not joking) tofu. I used to make a very heavy camping biscuit with tofu. It has such a mild flavor that it doesn't affect the taste much. To that I would add nuts, seeds, and oatmeal, because oatmeal has more protein than wheat. Instead of sugar I used apples. Powdered milk can add protein also.
7 replies since Apr. 19 2013, 3:37 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Homemade trailbars
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions