2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lunch at work< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 12:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since it's getting close to lunch time today, I was perusing my desk drawer going over my options.

Am I the only one who keeps things like instant rice, potatos, stuffing mix, dried veggies, sauce packets, noodle packs, etc at work?

I either use recipes from Dicentra's, Sarbar, and others cookbooks or just throw things together and see what happens.

Cheaper than lunch out and easier than fixing something at home.

Is this somewhat strange?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm having FBC for lunch today... A mushroom lentil stew.  I also have laughing cow cheese wedges and wasa crackers. There's a box full of various ramen in the cabinet behind me. And smoothie mixes in the drawer.

Yes. you are weird.

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you

instant rice with canned chicken, soy and asian spices today

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jun. 18 2013, 12:13 pm)
Is this somewhat strange?

Yep, but you already knew that  :laugh:

I usually keep a few of those shelf stable Healthy Choice pasta bowls in my cabinet just in case, but I've yet to try any FBC in the cubicle :)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am trying to work within the corporate HSE structure and use my dutch ovens at work  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eating good and cheap is never strange.  Speaking of shelf stable, have you tried the Barilla pasta bowls?  Really good.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 18 2013, 12:58 pm)
Eating good and cheap is never strange.  Speaking of shelf stable, have you tried the Barilla pasta bowls?  Really good.

Yes, those are good, too!

They clean out our fridge/freezer every Friday at work, otherwise I'd just stockpile Lean Cuisines in there.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep various "emergency" food items at work. A quick inventory reveals  ramen, oatmeal, Starbucks Via, Fig Newtons, ice tea mix.  Usually I also have a bunch of sauce packets and some peanut butter, but I over-cleaned before my last move.
 Post Number: 9
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If all else fails, I eat instant rice/broth/peas/oil and Parmesan cheese. It never fails me :D

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 10
Gordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 6:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most companies get a little uptight about the backpacking stove on your desk.
 Post Number: 11
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gordon @ Jun. 19 2013, 3:44 am)
Most companies get a little uptight about the backpacking stove on your desk.

Hell, I run my dehydrator in my office some days!  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 12
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm pretty fond of taking one of my favorite backpacking lunches to work at least once a week:

summer sausage or pepperoni, hard cheese (or goat cheese), crackers, grapes, nuts, and chocolate.

Usually in a bento of some kind.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 13
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weekend goodies leftover from a hike or pack back make their way to the office Monday.

I now work for a small non-profit and our offices are in a older home where you walk through a completely functional kitchen to navigate between everyone's spaces. The kitchen table hosts chats to conference calls.

We are constantly putting on lunches for events, guests , sponsors, and volunteers when doing mailings or training so there is always too much good food leftover. The goods run from mostly organic and from fresh sources. I often bring in soups that are jazzed up with left over dried veggies from FBC meal prep.

Once in awhile so very-fresh-from college new intern shows up with some micro-whacked abomination but they get some new schooling. The damn things stink to high heaven and it is a small house.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 14
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is funny. A while back I was looking through the backpack pantry and found some stuff that was getting old, so I took it to work. The coffee machine has a hot water spigot and I used that. So I am weird? I always had a suspension about that.
 Post Number: 15
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ Jun. 26 2013, 7:05 pm)
This is funny. A while back I was looking through the backpack pantry and found some stuff that was getting old, so I took it to work. The coffee machine has a hot water spigot and I used that. So I am weird? I always had a suspension about that.

I so miss our water cooler that had the hot water spigot!

--------------
 Post Number: 16
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well we need to get groceries tomorrow, so I was raiding the pantry for something to eat tonight. Well I found some leftover ham, but not much. So I remembered that I had some stuffing in the backpacking pantry. So I made some of that. I really thought about making it in a freezer bag, but opted to use a bowl instead. I must have to get out soon.
15 replies since Jun. 18 2013, 12:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lunch at work
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions