2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 1 dinner and 1 breakfast with very little space.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sixgun Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 7:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am going to do an over night trip and need a dinner and a breakfast that take up as little space as possible yet are good and filling.

I plan to do a trip with an 18 liter pack with an ENO hammock for shelter, It will be tight so I need to keep the food and food prep gear as small as I can, I don't plan to just eat energy bars or cold oatmeal.

Do you have any suggestions?

--------------
The more you know the less you need.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Esbit stove and tabs, smallest pot you got, grits or oatmeal for breakfast, couscous and foil pack tuna or chicken for dinner, a couple of minimus.com olive oil packs for fat.

You could carry that in your cargo pocket.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I cant find foil chicken anywhere on Long Island...

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Order it.  This is the best brand I know:

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sue-Premium-Chicken-7-Ounce/dp/B001EQ5PGI

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

awesome thankyou

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If space is that much of a concern, don't bother cooking.  Leave the stove, pot & fuel at home.  There are more than enough dry foods that are plenty tasty to eat for such a short span, and you'd be less stringent on space without having to fit the cooking gear.

Just my $.02.  Don't have to do that, but it's a thought.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How hot is it going to be?  For a simple overnighter, I have taken a bagel and cream cheese for Breakfast.   A ziplock of beef jerky, some nuts, and a baby bell or 2 of cheese would do me for dinner.  I can also see taking a small alcohol stove and a small pot for a FBC meal, but not if it will be hot.  Why eat hot food when you are hot already?  Carry something to add to your water for flavor, and drink plenty.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why eat hot food when you're hot?  'Cause hot food, or drinks, make you sweat.  That makes you feel cooler.  That's why the British love hot tea in the tropics.  Smart people.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The plan is to go stoveless, I don't know many good backpacking meals that do not require a stove.

Suggestions please.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm the guy you see outdoors who wears a T shirt when it is 40*.  I sweat enough for 2 people, when it gets above 85*.  I see no reason to raise my internal temp by eating a hot meal at those temps.  

I am going to feel like hell in Florida.  :)

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'll acclimate.  Since you'll be near the coast, you'll usually have a breeze.  It helps.  Just remember, if you stop sweating...YOU GONNA DIE!

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, stoveless.

Tortillas/wraps.  Peanut or nut butter.  Flavored tuna foil packs.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

www.trailcooking.com

there is plenty of no cook, simple meals that taste great and are perfect for backpacking.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 14
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take an instant thing of potatoes in a single serve (if you have a stove to boil hot water) and a summer sausage for dinner. A bagel is my standard cold breakfast. On the trail, I'll go for peanut putter. Jif sells a small single serving thing too.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 30 2013, 11:30 am)
Ok, stoveless.

Tortillas/wraps.  Peanut or nut butter.  Flavored tuna foil packs.

Good idea, I love peanut butter

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jun. 30 2013, 12:01 pm)
www.trailcooking.com

there is plenty of no cook, simple meals that taste great and are perfect for backpacking.

I have looked on this site and found it hard to just browse when your new to non ready made freeze dried packs, I will have another look, and try harder to find my way around the site.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(VAN @ Jun. 30 2013, 6:55 pm)
Take an instant thing of potatoes in a single serve (if you have a stove to boil hot water) and a summer sausage for dinner. A bagel is my standard cold breakfast. On the trail, I'll go for peanut putter. Jif sells a small single serving thing too.

Summer sausage! With cheese and pita bread that's a good idea, I could get this to fit easy, how do I find cheese that will keep? I don't know what to look for?

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Individually wrapped cheese sticks last for days without refrigeration.  Jacks Links makes a Little Chub summer sausage that's 1.6 oz.  I found them at the Family Dollar store for...$1.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 30 2013, 8:09 pm)
Individually wrapped cheese sticks last for days without refrigeration.  Jacks Links makes a Little Chub summer sausage that's 1.6 oz.  I found them at the Family Dollar store for...$1.

Cheese sticks would work great, thanks

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried using these gotoobs for mayo, foil pack chicken/tuna and mini pita bread last night, I simply cut the pita open at one end and open like an envolope, squirt mayo from the tube inside and scoop a little chicken inside and instant chicken salad pita.

http://www.humangear.com/gotoob/
http://www.rei.com/search?query=gotube

--------------
 Post Number: 21
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Baybel cheese in the red wax is going to keep for a few days.

Tortillas are also a good sub for pita. You can shred string cheese on top of a chicken pouch and add BBQ and french fried onions. Sarbar has a recipe on her website with a version of that meal... HERE

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(VAN @ Jul. 01 2013, 6:53 pm)
Baybel cheese in the red wax is going to keep for a few days.

Tortillas are also a good sub for pita. You can shred string cheese on top of a chicken pouch and add BBQ and french fried onions. Sarbar has a recipe on her website with a version of that meal... HERE

I checked out the recipe on the site and it sounds good, but what the hell are French fried onions?

Ok I looked them up, love the idea of the crunch on the trail, thanks for the idea.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'd think we only go backpacking to eat.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 01 2013, 8:33 pm)

Wait a minute!
You mean we aren't spending the night in the woods to give our meals scenery?
I have be doing it all this time for the wrong reasons?
LOL

--------------
 Post Number: 25
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 2:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

French fried onions exist to keep hikers celibate while on the trail. They taste so good you can't quit eating them, then you realize your breath smells so bad no one, not even Ms. Big Foot, is going to want to mate with you.

:D

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 26
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 2:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sixgun @ Jul. 01 2013, 9:43 pm)

Wait a minute!
LOL

Um, I do  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Jul. 02 2013, 2:03 am)

(sixgun @ Jul. 01 2013, 9:43 pm)

Wait a minute!
LOL

Um, I do  :laugh:

Will don't just tease us with yummy pictures, tell us what it is and how to make it!

Teasing us with food pics and not sharing is mean! LOL

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep in mind I am trying to keep it small as possible.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is the deal: the top one is a new meal from Packlite Foods, that I was testing out - it is coming to market soon! It could be done FBC and weighs 4 ounces (although I followed directions and pan fried it at the end...yum!)

The bottom photo is an oatmeal that will stay with you, sporting coconut peanut butter, nuts, fruit and more - while I pot cooked mine with 1 minute oats, it can be done FBC with instant oats. That one is on my blog, I posted it yesterday :) Link is in my sig line.....

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

For a one nighter, hard boiled eggs make a good breakfast, as long as it doesn't get too hot.  Eggs pack a lot of punch for the amount of pack space they take up.  Packit Gourmet has some good non-cook options, including breakfast smoothies that are not only delicious, but have enough protein that they can pretty much stand on their own as a breakfast.  They also make a burger wrap that can be prepared cold, just add water and wrap in a tortilla.  To save space, Packit Gourmet's meals are best repackaged, they are quite bulky.  My other go-to foods that don't require cooking are Clif Bars and, of course, beef jerky.
43 replies since Jun. 27 2013, 7:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 1 dinner and 1 breakfast with very little space.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions