2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: dehydrating tofu< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So yesterday I bought a copy of Lipsmackin' Backpackin', 2nd: Lightweight, Trail-Tested Recipes for Backcountry Trips and was reading it before turning in. I saw that they recommended cooking tofu before dehydrating which took me aback, I would have assumed it would work well if dehydrated 'raw'.

Any opinions from the experts?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:39 am)
So yesterday I bought a copy of Lipsmackin' Backpackin', 2nd: Lightweight, Trail-Tested Recipes for Backcountry Trips and was reading it before turning in. I saw that they recommended cooking tofu before dehydrating which took me aback, I would have assumed it would work well if dehydrated 'raw'.

Any opinions from the experts?

I've never had luck drying tofu.  I just get the shelf stable tetra paks if I'm going to have tofu on the trail.

BAKED tofu (the flavored stuff) makes a pretty decent jerky when dehydrated.

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh, I learned something new today.

Is there such a thing as freeze dried tofu? I love having miso soup in the morning or in the evenings, but the off-the-shelf stuff tends to be wicked high in salt. Making my own miso soup mix would be ideal.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:51 am)
Huh, I learned something new today.

Is there such a thing as freeze dried tofu? I love having miso soup in the morning or in the evenings, but the off-the-shelf stuff tends to be wicked high in salt. Making my own miso soup mix would be ideal.

There is!   Good luck finding it though...

Freeze Dried Tofu

For miso soup, I go to the Asian markets and buy a bag of kits (for lack of a better word). They are packets of miso paste, but then you get to choose from a variety of other packets what you'd like to add... tofu, dried tofu, onions, wakame etc

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any tofu that makes it's way into my kitchen gets gets dried in the sun in the yard.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 7:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used the Eden freeze dried in the past . . . it isn't bad. For awhile you could get even better freeze dried tofu from the Just Tomatoes company (try here), however I haven't seen it on their web site for years. Too bad.

--------------
Dennis Waite
 Post Number: 7
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a drying fool but drying "raw" tofu just didn't work for me and I ended up throwing the whole batch out.  

I have dried Wildwood baked tofu (store bought at a whole foods store) and it works much better and if done right becomes a jerky you can eat while moving.

Other soy options are Tofurkey dried, Soy sausage dried, soy ground beef, etc.  Just add these products to your cooked meals or eat out of hand.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 8
slowly walking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first tofu dehydrating attempts failed until I read about Japanese country people  "freeze-drying" their tofu by hanging tofu from the eaves of the house during late fall.  Freezing temps and wind in the fall dried the tofu.

I buy tofu in water tubs (usually 14 to 16 oz) and freeze them.  Thaw, cut in half at the "waist" and slice into about 8 slabs, lay out on a kitchen towel, fold the towel over several times, then roll up from the end.  Let it sit to draw out water for a while (several hours), then put in your dehydrator.  It's important to get it really dry.  Mostly I've had great luck with this technique, but one time I had some mold on a few cubes of tofu after a couple of weeks.  These take some time to rehydrate, while freeze-dried tofu will rehydrate almost immediately for miso soup.

Happy trails.
7 replies since Jul. 12 2013, 1:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply dehydrating tofu
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions