2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dehydrating kale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
buddero Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 12:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a sample of dehydrated kale at a grocery store a few days ago - not bad! So I did a test run at home. Half a bunch with olive oil, lime juice, and salt; and half with the same things + a little sambal paste. 105-115 for ~6 hours.

ALRIGHT!

My wife said, "That answers the vegetables question for backpacking doesn't it." Yep.

Anyone else doing this? Recipes?

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes!  Isn't it great?

I just dehydrated it by itself... what does the lime juice do for it?

I've mostly added it to soups.  Great in white bean (cannelini) soup, chicken noodle soup, etc.

There's a pasta dish with sausage and kale that I think would work well on the trail.  I found some freeze-dried "sausage crumbles" at Packit and plan to try making it with the dried kale, dried garlic and olive oil.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard of making kale "chips" in the oven.  Probably the same idea.  Heck, you could flavor paper right and some would rave.

I'd rather eat animals.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And if you crumble the dried kale, you can use it in meals...just sayin' ;-)

If you can eat eat cashews, let me know. I have a good one where I enrobe the kale in a raw cashew sauce, then dry.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Sep. 03 2013, 5:50 pm)
And if you crumble the dried kale, you can use it in meals...just sayin' ;-)

If you can eat eat cashews, let me know. I have a good one where I enrobe the kale in a raw cashew sauce, then dry.

See?  See?  Paper triangles "enrobed" in cashew sauce would be great!  :D

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hehehe

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Experiment #2. Whisked OO, lime juice (sparkles up the taste, like adding lime to etouffee), Tabasco (the elixir of life), and kosher salt; mixed in very finely chopped toasted pecans, mixed with kale, dehy at 115 for ~6 hours. Very, very good. Next time, more nuts (probably cashews).

--------------

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 8
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

See the kale still needs to be destemmed.  Are they more filling than regular potato chips?

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Sep. 04 2013, 7:05 pm)
See the kale still needs to be destemmed.  Are they more filling than regular potato chips?

LOL. Kale is probably less filling and definitely not as tasty as potato chips. But definitely healthier. Also more likely to help with "regularity" than potato chips. Gimme some of them potato chips.

--------------

8 replies since Sep. 03 2013, 12:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dehydrating kale
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions