2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Is B-fast really the most important meal of day?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 8:20 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As for morning breakfast...I have always thought how critical it was to gobble something prior to taking off in the morning.

Usually a FBC bag of plain quick oatmeal I mix with cinnamon, raisins and walnuts or almonds.  Coffee/tea and probably a bit more almond raisin gorp.

After we hit the trail, I've noticed that I tend to bonk after about half an hour and need to eat a protein bar, (is protein the only word that doesn't follow the i before e except after c rule?) to ward off the shakes.

It hit me last time out, (we were doing a 25+/- weekend), that I NEVER eat anything before a 3 to 7 mile morning run and never had an issue w/lack of energy.  In fact I always detested late afternoon races as I could feel breakfast sloshing around while I ran.

So, on day two which was 11+ miles, I decided to forgo my breakfast and see what happened.  I always carry these Met Rx 32 gram protein bars, so I figured I'd chomp on one of those if I felt tired......

I felt no let down at all...nibbled along the way later on but did not need that break half an hour in.

Has anyone else experienced this?

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My own experience is the same.  During the week, I eat breakfast before 8 and I'm starving before noon for lunch.  On the weekends when I'm far more likely to be doing a lot of walking, I rarely eat anything before about 1 pm and feel just fine.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I forgot to mention that.

I usually eat at the office around 6-6:30 and by 11 I am ready to eat my steering wheel..(I drive around a lot)...

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always eat breakfast and then pack. It allows time for digestion to start and get something into your system. Then think about this... you haven't eaten for a significant time period before breakfast.

is protein the only word that doesn't follow the i before e except after c rule?

weird
neighbor
weigh
neigh
foreign
neither/either
receive
deceive
ceiling
eight
and countless others

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Umm, receive, deceive, ceiling, all have the "c" that is in the rule.  Other examples you gave are what wcolucci was looking for.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oops...

I went online and looked and there were 2 lists: one does, one doesn't. I inadvertently (read:stupidly) looked at the wrong one for those.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like too much carbs to me.  Try just eating your protein bars.

I usually eat instant grits loaded with real bacon bits and olive oil.  Don't even need a snack for two hours.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Sep. 05 2013, 6:58 am)
I always eat breakfast and then pack. It allows time for digestion to start and get something into your system. Then think about this... you haven't eaten for a significant time period before breakfast.

is protein the only word that doesn't follow the i before e except after c rule?

weird
neighbor
weigh
neigh
foreign
neither/either
receive
deceive
ceiling
eight
and countless others

The rule I learned growing up was "i before e except after c, or when sounding like "a" as in neighbor and weigh."

In which case neither/either, weird and foreign break the rule, but not the others.  English is awesome. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree with both assessments--that English is awesome, and that more protein is needed at breakfast.  I've been working on that, though our oatmeal has lots of nuts and milk, which is a start.  At home I eat a bowl of plain yogurt with fruit, but that's harder on the trail.  

Shelf-stable bacon and sometimes FD eggs help stave off the hungries.

I really don't function without breakfast, though I do wonder if part of that is that I don't hydrate enough when, say, I have to run before I eat.  Back when I did long trail runs, I always at least had toast (and coffee) before running.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At home I eat a bowl of plain yogurt with fruit, but that's harder on the trail.  

not if you start with fresh whole milk....by day three you should be all set!!

Probably right about the carb overload

neighbor & weigh....hmmm never heard that one growing up.

The benefits of a public edumacation

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not really interesting in carrying the weight of yogurt, as yogurt or starting as milk.  

Hey, I had a public education and I learned about neighbor and weigh!  But there was a period in there when they were really opposed to teaching kids rules like that.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I typically have nuts and some dried fruit for breakfast when on the trail. Oatmeal rarely feels enough for me. And I make an effort to hydrate at breakfast on the trail.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does coffee in the morning dehydrate you?
 Post Number: 14
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Sep. 05 2013, 7:32 pm)
Does coffee in the morning dehydrate you?

No.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, I had a public education and I learned about neighbor and weigh!  But there was a period in there when they were really opposed to teaching kids rules like that

I may be a tad older than you.

Our English lessons were interrupted once every two  weeks with Fallout Drills.....so perhaps I forgot...but it has already been passed on to my 8 yr old...she liked it!!

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We may be about the same age.  But living where I did, between the ports of Seattle and Tacoma, and with the Bremerton naval base one side and Boeing on the other, there was a general sense that there wasn't much point in such drills, because we were probably gonna be ground zero :p

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After working on nukes in the Navy I made a concerted effort to move close to ground zero, and spent no time worrying about avoiding the blast.  

The survivors would have been those who truly suffered.  Especially if they did not have their immediate family with them when the missle struck. Being reduced to atoms instantly is about as good as it gets for checking out, IMO.

One of the worst days in my life was after a major earthquake when my wife was 40 miles away with a classroom of second graders, and no communication.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Sep. 05 2013, 8:20 am)

Yep, same thing happens to me at work. My theory is that once you kick your body out of the fasting state in the morning, it keeps wanting more fuel to keep it actively going. Otherwise it just keeps on working via same systems as overnight.
 Post Number: 19
hikingodS Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The way I learned it was:  "i" before "e" except after "c" or when followed by "g".  That doesn't cover "protein", but does cover most other examples.

And too carb-heavy on the breakfast... almost pure sugar, so you crash pretty quickly.
 Post Number: 20
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2013, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Sep. 07 2013, 5:21 pm)

Yep, same thing happens to me at work. My theory is that once you kick your body out of the fasting state in the morning, it keeps wanting more fuel to keep it actively going. Otherwise it just keeps on working via same systems as overnight.

Me, too.  When I skip breakfast, I can work out in the morning, run errands, clean the house, etc and not get hungry before noon.  If I have breakfast at 8:30, I'm starving by 10, even when breakfast is protein heavy.  I usually have an egg, some yogurt or fruit, and a slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter or avocado, with a liter of water.  You'd think that would keep a person going for longer than an hour.  I'm about to give up on breakfast altogether.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 21
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I grew up on a farm and did 2 hours of chores before breakfast, if I do the same now I don't have that mid morning hunger.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 22
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2013, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've slowed some with age, but most of my life I've gotten out of bed in the morning mostly because I was hungry.  Sometimes I can manage an hour before I eat,but usually I end up with a headache if I try (and that's even if I'm not using caffeine--it's the food I need, though when I'm habituated to coffee it's even worse).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But the greater issue is, are neither/either the only words on the list with a hytone new pronunciation (gaining traction over the past 10-15 years) - as in (long i) nither/ither? Or are those other words now pronounced
wird
nighbor
wigh
nigh
and so on.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 24
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Sep. 07 2013, 7:21 pm)

As a person with pretty severe hypoglycemia, if find the same thing. If I eat breakfast at 6:00 a.m. my blood sugar will fall every two hours after that, which would necessitate 3 meals before noon. That's ridiculous, so I delay breakfast as long as possible to keep my blood sugar stable.  

I'm pretty amazed at the amount of sugar and carbohydrates in the American diet and even here in the food forum. It seems like younger people maybe can tolerate this, but I think you become more intolerant of sugar and carbs the longer you eat this kind of diet, with impaired blood sugar levels. It almost seems like backpackers think they "need" large amounts of sugar to fuel intense activity, or that it's okay to eat that much sugar because of their high activity level.
23 replies since Sep. 05 2013, 8:20 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Is B-fast really the most important meal of day?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions