2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: overnight meal plan, my menue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 12:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

so, I am sitting here waiting for the day to end so I can go home. Tomorrow I am heading out for a short solo(my first solo), overnighter. I am only planning on doing about 16 or so miles, since last weekend I sprained my ankle a bit. Its much better now as I have iced it, elevated it, wrapped it and took care of it all week. So to kill my boredome for a few minutes I will share with you my meal plan for the night. Its nothing fancy so take what you may from it.
  Day 1. breakfast..Protein shake and a salt bagel with cc on my way to trailhead. RedBull also.
             Lunch...A nice thick gooey PB&J sandwhich on whole wheat bread and a small protein bar as an after lunch snack while I hike.
             Dinner..I grilled an organic chicken breast with no salt lemon pepper, sliced it up and vaccume sealed it for this occasion. So I will put that on a whole wheat wrap with broccoli slaw, some fresh bacon bits, pepper jack cheese and some buffalo sauce.

Day 2. breakfast..A Protein shake and a trailmix breakfast mix blend.
             Lunch...I made some nice beef jerky and I will enjoy that with some sliced pepperjack cheese. I figure I can eat this while hiking if I desire.

I will be drinking water only, but I will bring a gatorade powder for replenishment if I feel I need it. Its a simple "no cook" plan while trying to keep it as healthy as I can. I did not weigh it, in fact maybe in the morning before i pack it in, I will. I'm just curious what it comes in at.
                  Well, thats it...

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Sep. 13 2013, 11:18 am)
Lunch...I made some nice beef jerky and I will enjoy that with some sliced pepperjack cheese. I figure I can eat this while hiking if I desire.

I would never eat on my feet except in an emergency type of situation. Just cause you're solo doesn't mean it isn't still a pleasure to drop your pack, rest a few minutes, and enjoy your lunch.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Freeze that chicken overnight, and drop in to the middle of your pack.  Check on it about 4 PM, and move it closer to the outside if it is still too frozen.  I'd hate for you to get ill from a chicken gone bad.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Sep. 13 2013, 12:26 pm)

I would never eat on my feet except in an emergency type of situation. Just cause you're solo doesn't mean it isn't still a pleasure to drop your pack, rest a few minutes, and enjoy your lunch.

true..thats why I added..if I desire. Most likely I will eat while stopping for a break. The option is there though, if I am not hungry for a sitdown lunch, that I can pick at it while I hike. Regardless, i will for sure have a few rest stops and enjoy my day and take my time.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Sep. 13 2013, 12:34 pm)
Freeze that chicken overnight, and drop in to the middle of your pack.  Check on it about 4 PM, and move it closer to the outside if it is still too frozen.  I'd hate for you to get ill from a chicken gone bad.  

yeah, I was wondering about this. Even though its vacumme sealed? I guess I can throw it in freezer and around mid afternoon check on it.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can also dehydrate it tonight..but its not really enough food to warrent running the dehydrator for, lol.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Night 1 dinner is best frozen.  No dehydration required.  Now that it is vacu-sealed, just drop it in the freezer.  Lots of times steaks can be cooked on night 1 this way.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Sep. 13 2013, 9:26 am)

Plus eating while walking on anything but maybe a pool table risks turning an ankle or worse. In attention is what gets people "falling off terrain" resulting in injuries and even death.

OTOH I totally applaud the fresh foods approach. I habitually take Chinese takeout from my local favorite for a weekender dinner.
 Post Number: 9
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Night 1 dinner is best frozen.  No dehydration required.  Now that it is vacu-sealed, just drop it in the freezer.  Lots of times steaks can be cooked on night 1 this way.

+1

I have found whole pork tenderloin the greatest.  I cook it on the grill to med rare, freeze in foil, place in center of pack and then throw in fire later to fully cook...of course if you live where you can't have a fire, cook until done at home.

it is a great meat, very tender and you can spice it up anyway you see fit.

I've done Strip steaks like that as well......when on sale :-)

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 10
JeanneMarie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My experience with the g-aid type products has been less then, for me, ideal. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with toe or foot cramps, even after drinking the g-aid type products.

I've switched to a coconut powder product (Coco Hydro) for the last year-ish. I find I am more refreshed and that I am not waking up in the middle of the night, after a hard day backpacking, with toe or foot cramps.  

I tend to, using a 14oz wide mouth bottle, have a coconut powder  drink at lunch and at dinner.
 Post Number: 11
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Sep. 30 2013, 10:45 am)

+1

I have found whole pork tenderloin the greatest.  I cook it on the grill to med rare, freeze in foil, place in center of pack and then throw in fire later to fully cook...of course if you live where you can't have a fire, cook until done at home.

it is a great meat, very tender and you can spice it up anyway you see fit.

I've done Strip steaks like that as well......when on sale :-)

Your avatar looks like a very young Frank Zappa.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 12
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your avatar looks like a very young Frank Zappa.

Excellent Desert Dweller!!!!

Yes, prior to his days as a rancher in Montana....

going to Montana soooon...

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
11 replies since Sep. 13 2013, 12:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply overnight meal plan
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions