2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Daytime munching< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 6:54 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I seem to have my dinners down pretty good.  Breakfast, well.... still a work in progress but I think the oatmeal thing is out the window.....coffee and off then munch a bit of gorp and dried fruit while I walk

I'm looking for ideas for light, easy munchies on the trail for a true lunch stop.  I do like to stop and relax for a bit, dry out the socks etc, but if I don't need to tear into my pack and stove etc... that would be a bonus

Here is a really bad example..but it got me thinking:

I did a portion of the Northville Placid Trail last month and while shopping at WMart for my seasoned beef crumbles I saw these ridiculous little Rev wraps by Hormel.

The compelling reasons for buying one was the fact that the serving size had about 18 grams of protein, I am sure it was totally pumped up w/all kinds of phony crud so I was not worried about it being at all perishable...and well...I like bologna. Plus it was light and I was tired from being sick that previous week and did not want to think anymore about food

Turned out, 8 miles in we stopped to eat...and it was just fine!  I gobbled a small amount of almonds and chocolate covered coffee beans with it and basically scooted on after that.

We had no cheese, no salami, no cutting, no cleaning up etc...simple and left us time to putz around a bit.

Assuming only one "lunch" stop during the day what are some of your favorites for daytime meals??

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 8:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes I will make my pb&j wrap in the morning so I do not need to open my entire pack at lunch.  Or, I will just put the lunch makings in an outside pocket.  If you are just looking for calories to add to you gorp or just nuts, those single cans of pringles or the little boxes of fried onions add significant calories to your stop.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't like the prepackaged stuff because of the trash it creates.

Cut up cheese and/or "roll meats" (salami, summer sausage) at breakfast and eat along with a bagel or tort.
Reconstitute refried beans or hummus at breakfast and roll up in some kind of flatbread (tortilla, chapati, etc) for "ready-to-eat" or put in a container and wrap at lunch.
Add some fruit and nuts (I snack on those while hiking anyway) and you're good.

Then again, I put the food bag and cooking stuff in the top of my pack where it's easily accessible* so since I'm already stopped with pack off, it's not a big deal to pull out and make something hot if I want it.

*That's primarily because I pack up camp while cooking and eating breakfast so food and allowing the stove to cool means these are the last things loaded.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My favorite lunches are couscous salads.  Sarbar has the recipes.  I fix them at breakfast and they're ready in an hour.  I can add pouch or canned meat just before I eat.  Easy, filling, energy laden.  Once you've got the basic idea you can make a huge variety.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love PB&J

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 6
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually eat "lunch" in a couple installments. My go-to items are nuts, dried fruits, hard cheese, salami, cookies, crackers, candy. I find it easy to keep these items near the top of my pack so that I can access them without too much hassle.

Even on my longest hiking days, I never mind taking a couple sit-down, pack-off breaks to eat.
 Post Number: 7
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Oct. 11 2013, 10:47 am)
I love PB&J

Me too.  I take single serves of each and spread them in a tortilla...so yummy!  

I had really bad acid reflux in the Boundary Waters this year, and I'm pretty sure it was due to jerky, which was my other lunch go to.  So, now it's PB&J or some kind of bar with lots of other snacks.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 8
ambrose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At home, I mix equal parts peanut butter and nutella. I put the mix into a squeeze tube. I pocket the tube and when I want a snack, grab the tube, pop the cap, and enjoy.

--------------
Good things for fun times
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ambrose @ Oct. 11 2013, 3:52 pm)
At home, I mix equal parts peanut butter and nutella. I put the mix into a squeeze tube. I pocket the tube and when I want a snack, grab the tube, pop the cap, and enjoy.

If we're going to squeeze tubes, I gotta mention Moose Goo.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 11 2013, 6:09 pm)

Over the years, I've tried to like this but it is just plain nasty. And as always, YMMV.
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 11 2013, 5:09 pm)

I gave up on squeeze tubes years ago. They don't work worth squat in sub-freezing temps. Not to mention having  had "blowouts" when squeezing one.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 11 2013, 7:09 pm)

WHAT is moose goo? Hope we are refering to actual food?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 13
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Oct. 12 2013, 9:51 am)

It is a mixture of 2 parts honey, 2 parts corn flour (masa), and one part peanut butter.  UL'ers and Long Distance hikers swear by the stuff.  Squeeze tube it in good weather, or just put it on wax paper and roll it up into a log when the temps drop to 40*  Can be eaten like a candy bar between 30-40*  Below freezing, keep it in your pocket.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok. That sounds good. Thanks

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

theo, have you tried mookies?  Moose Goo cookies.  They do taste better than the Goo.  The stuff's pure energy, immediate and long term.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 12 2013, 11:24 am)
theo, have you tried mookies?  Moose Goo cookies.  They do taste better than the Goo.  The stuff's pure energy, immediate and long term.

So I'm gonna ask...how do u make the cookies?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 17
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Texture, taste work for me and I try to have raw ginger along for some zing, dried tomatoes (home dehydrator) are great, and a chewy replacement for my past licorice habit. Plus, triscuits, pb and raisins. Gorp and granola bars if I'm on the move, putting in long hours. Bagels (if "real" ones are available) for day one and two. Biffs Bagels in Flagstaff is outstanding (near train station, downtown), and the Bellingham, WA coop also has excellent bagels. Mozzarella cheese (sticks).

Dinner wise we've ditched the stove except for mid winter trips and found couscous, bean mixes etc. work just fine without warming, just adding water to the mix in a ziplock baggie.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Oct. 12 2013, 2:49 pm)

(TDale @ Oct. 12 2013, 11:24 am)

So I'm gonna ask...how do u make the cookies?

http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html

All the recipes and variations.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome. Looks good. Thanks.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, so..ok. I just made a batch of that moose-goo. Oh boy, where have u been my whole life??!! That is some good stuff. Found my next treats and lunches for my trips. I will even make it, put it on whole wheat bread and smear some all natural jelly all over it. I think if you enjoy pb&j you would love this. Thankyou so much for mentioning moose-goo.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 21
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 7:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 11 2013, 9:52 am)
My favorite lunches are couscous salads.  Sarbar has the recipes.  I fix them at breakfast and they're ready in an hour.  I can add pouch or canned meat just before I eat.  Easy, filling, energy laden.  Once you've got the basic idea you can make a huge variety.
+1.
I made a bunch of couscous salad for my Yosemite trip this summer, didn't follow any particular recipe just cooked the couscous according to package, added a bunch of chopped-up veggies to my liking, dehydrated, then added dried cranberries (craisins). Cold water to rehydrate. Came out way better than I could have expected. so good I make it regularly to have on hand at home.

One tip: be sure to spread the cooked-up mixture very well on the dehydrator tray, and break up dried lumps before packaging -- I had some irregular-shaped lumps of couscous that dried down to hard clumps, not hard a rocks but perhaps hard as walnut shells, and later when I added cold water and massaged the baggie to help rehydration those hard lumps put tiny punctures in the baggie and it leaked a little.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JR, couscous is ready to rehydrate right out of the box.  Dehydrate your additional ingredients seperately then add them to the dried couscous.  Rehydrate all together.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't say I care for either cous-cous or dang, what's that other gritty grain you can make salads out of (senior moment)?  Just don't like the texture.  But I've done some lentil and bean salads here at home recently that I want to experiment with, because we need something beside the crackers and cheese/meat, at least for the adults in our crew.  A lot less bulk, and less excessive fat, which (even though it's needed) we don't digest well because we don't eat it that much at home.

Historically, we've done crackers with PB, hummus, cheese, summer sausage. . . tortillas are heavy and fragile, though okay for the first day or so--except for the first day, we really like bagels with cheddar and apple slices (even heavier!).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 24
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, and almost always some sort of energy bar mid-morning.  Home-made if possible, but we were pretty happy with Mojo bars this summer.  They are rather. . . food-like.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are rather. . . food-like.

Quite an endorsement :D

--------------
 Post Number: 26
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 15 2013, 7:23 pm)
JR, couscous is ready to rehydrate right out of the box.  Dehydrate your additional ingredients seperately then add them to the dried couscous.  Rehydrate all together.

Really? I thought it had to be, or at least was better to be, cooked first, like pasta. I'll have to try it like that, thanks.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 27
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 16 2013, 6:23 am)
They are rather. . . food-like.

Quite an endorsement :D

Hey, for a purchased energy bar, that is high praise indeed!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Oct. 16 2013, 9:32 am)

(TDale @ Oct. 15 2013, 7:23 pm)

Really? I thought it had to be, or at least was better to be, cooked first, like pasta. I'll have to try it like that, thanks.

Check around.  What we get in boxes here is precooked and dried.  I've never cooked any for cold salads.  Just Add Water(hot or cold)

Barilla tortellini is the same way: cooked and dried.  Throw it in a freezer bag, add hot water, cozy and wait 10-15 minutes.

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Barilla tortellini is the same way: cooked and dried.  Throw it in a freezer bag, add hot water, cozy and wait 10-15 minutes.

probably my favorite trail dinner...w/sundried tomatoes, dried porcini... a little parmesean...olive oil...yum

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Oct. 12 2013, 9:12 am)

(GottaGamble @ Oct. 12 2013, 9:51 am)

It is a mixture of 2 parts honey, 2 parts corn flour (masa), and one part peanut butter.  UL'ers and Long Distance hikers swear by the stuff.  Squeeze tube it in good weather, or just put it on wax paper and roll it up into a log when the temps drop to 40*  Can be eaten like a candy bar between 30-40*  Below freezing, keep it in your pocket.

How do you get stuff into a squeeze tube?
52 replies since Oct. 11 2013, 6:54 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Daytime munching
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions