2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: One week?, #10 cans of freeze dried< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ambrose Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 8:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I been noticing a nice price drop on some #10 cans of freeze dried product on Amazon, since the Labor day holiday; like 10 servings of eggs n bacon bits for 20ish dollars.

The storage instructions read that the product in the can is good for one week, after the can is opened.

This past summer (2012) we did not go backpacking for three weekends. This up coming summer we are planning to be out most every weekend with several week long trips thrown in.

Consuming the contents of a #10 can of product, next summer, should not be an issue.

Consuming the contents of a #10 can of product in a weeks time is our issue.

I am looking for suggestions on how to encourage the #10 can of product to last longer then a week.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you asking about repackaging?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 22 2013, 8:47 pm)
Are you asking about repackaging?

I would like to take a portion of the #10 can product with me for a backpacking trip. The remaining product will be left home. I will, most likely, have remaining product for several weeks. Do I leave the product in the can with a lid or is there something I can do, with the product that I leave home that will extend the shelf life to more then a week?

I hope that helps answer your question.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Freeze-dried stuff will last quite a while if you repackage it properly.  I don't have a vacuum sealer, so I would put unused portions in freezer bags and freeze them.  I haven't used freeze-dried food in a long time, but I do this regularly with dehydrated stuff.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oxygen and moisture are the issue and those "use by" dates are rather arbitrary and simply dates set by the manufacturer based on their estimate of optimal freshness, whatever that means.

Use heavier freezer bags that have better oxygen barriers and seal them tight with no air inside (which is why leaving the remainder in the can isn't so good: the empty space as you remove contents is filled with oxygen containing air that will react with the food, slowing down the reaction is what the freezing does as well) and to block moisture and you'll be fine.
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vacuum seal the remainder in single serving portions with an O2 absorption pack and place in the freezer.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vacuum seal bags are usually specifically made for a good Oxygen barrier rendering both the need for an absorber and freezing unnecessary for merely a few weeks during a summer. A cooler storage location is helpful but freezing will be overkill unless you want to keep things for next year.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oi! Thanks for your feedback.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 23 2013, 12:18 pm)
Vacuum seal bags are usually specifically made for a good Oxygen barrier rendering both the need for an absorber and freezing unnecessary for merely a few weeks during a summer. A cooler storage location is helpful but freezing will be overkill unless you want to keep things for next year.

True but an O2 packet absorbs what oxygen may be left and placing in a freezer allows the option of not using the food instead of "Oh crap. I need to use that in the next few days!" while not harming anything if it's pulled out for use the very next day.

--------------

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 24 2013, 8:10 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 23 2013, 12:18 pm)

True but an O2 packet absorbs what oxygen may be left and placing in a freezer allows the option of not using the food instead of "Oh crap. I need to use that in the next few days!" while not harming anything if it's pulled out for use the very next day.

Good point. Plans DO change and then there's no backup if the precautions haven't already been made.

Where would people get the food grade O2 absorber packets? (Maybe Amazon?)
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/oxygena....81P_Rdg

--------------

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 24 2013, 9:55 am)

Wow, a lot of great products there.

Thanks for the link!
11 replies since Oct. 22 2013, 8:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply One week?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions