2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How to make a Thanksgiving Dinner backpacking?, It's gonna be awesome< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
naturepersonguy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 12:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The GF and I were going to do an overnight backpacking trip the weekend before Thanksgiving, before I head home to my family. We are going to pull out all the stops and carry whatever it takes to have a luxurious holiday evening. We will probably end up in a 3-sided backpacking shelter in the mountains so we have plenty of room to move around and don't have to worry about carrying shelters.

Normally I am super, ultra lightweight on my trips. So this is different for me. We just want it to be as luxurious and comfortable as possible, even if it means carrying a ton.

Ideas on how to best make an amazing Thanksgiving dinner on the trail? And the foods should stay good too from when we pack them, since it's just an overnight.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did that once and one of the few times I built a fire.
Dressing stuffed Cornish game hens. Make and precook at home. Wrap in heavy aluminum foil.
In camp build a fire, get a good bed of coals and bury the wrapped hens for 30 minutes.
The other stuff is easy.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it was me, I could be happy with Stove Top in a FBC, a few slices of Turkey cooked, frozen, and reheated in camp, a can of cranberry sauce, and a plastic hard sided container with Pumpkin or Pecan pie slices. If you do not think you will eat the entire can of cranberries, take some in another plastic ware container.  Yams, or sweet potatoes, are overrated, IMO.  If you like that green bean and mushroom soup casserole, you could take just the fried onions for a reminder of it.  Some folks have to have mashed potatoes with the meal, so those OreIda packets work well.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lost Soul doesn't stop by very often, but he does a pretty good facsimile of Thanksgiving dinner.  Maybe he'll see this.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Make it all at home and treat the foods as you would any "leftovers" for reheating on the trail. Just a different sort of "stovetop". Slice the turkey and store it in the gravy for reheating.

Did that once high up above Idylwild CA in the San Jacinto's with a bunch of friends from college. Quite fun.

Still do that with Chinese takeout for weekenders where I don't care about the weight.
 Post Number: 6
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have done a number of Thanksgiving meals over the years - but I'll be honest, I don't worry about it being gourmet - in the sense of taking an actual turkey. Pouched chicken breast works great instead.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First, shoot a turkey...

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's the pie that is the hardest.. :D Hehheh!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha!  I once carried an apple pie over the crest into the high Sierra.  I made it in a small aluminum camp pan, with lid,just two servings.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Foil pouch chicken
powdered turkey gravy mix (look in the organic section)
potato flakes
dried stuffing (you can find healthier stuff than stove top)
dried cranberries

pumpkintinis for desert

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Pumpkintini-348115
 Post Number: 11
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did a full turkey dinner on the trail a few years ago.  Someone baked a turkey breast in advance, sliced it, froze it, and then it thawed while hiking and was reheated in camp on Turkey Day.  Someone else brought fresh asparagus and cooked that.  Another person made stove top stuffing.  And I dehydrated sweet potatoes that were easy to rehydrate, and I baked a fudge marble cake for dessert on my tiny stove.  It was a great meal!

Oh yeah, and someone brought a flask of wine to share, too!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Oct. 28 2013, 6:38 pm)
We did a full turkey dinner on the trail a few years ago.  Someone baked a turkey breast in advance, sliced it, froze it, and then it thawed while hiking and was reheated in camp on Turkey Day.  Someone else brought fresh asparagus and cooked that.  Another person made stove top stuffing.  And I dehydrated sweet potatoes that were easy to rehydrate, and I baked a fudge marble cake for dessert on my tiny stove.  It was a great meal!

Oh yeah, and someone brought a flask of wine to share, too!

That's more or less what we did.

But we brought bottles, and bottles, of wine.
:)
 Post Number: 13
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Easy bake oven.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
12 replies since Oct. 24 2013, 12:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How to make a Thanksgiving Dinner backpacking?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions