2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacker Magazine Article Question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MarkS Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2013, 11:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone
In the most recent BPer magazine there was an article about how they helped a couple figure out how to eat better.  The article provided the obligatory recepies.  My question is if the pictures are of food that was re-hydrated or cooked normally?

We dehydrate our food and make some great meals, but our re-hydrated food does not look like that.  What are we doing wrong?  Green peppers never look freshly cut; beans split and do not look as if they just came out of the can, etc. etc.

Are we doing something "wrong", or did BPer just enhance the photos for the article?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was most likely "fresh" food shot. At least in my take on how it is done - I can tell you I have created thousands of recipes and getting a fab shot, even when my pro-photographer husband shoots them, is not easy. Dried food rehydrated will never be pretty.

PS: You are not doing it wrong. If it tastes good, that is all that matters!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Food that's intended for aesthetics in a photo shoot doesn't have to be, and rarely is, edible.

It's illustrative and inspirational, but not accurate, in intention. Did Backpacker "enhance"? Maybe not, but they, of course, selected the best looking shot not the average. Otherwise where's the pine needles, wind blown grit and trapped flying critters?

In the backcountry I'll second sarbar, taste is what matters. In your experience does anyone refer to your "plating" when commenting on your backpack meals? If not how the stuff tastes is the true metric.
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah, if it tastes good..eat it. Who cares what it looks like

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the items in that article talks about dehydrating scrambled eggs.

I thought I'd heard that dehydrating eggs was a bad idea, that it was next to impossible to get that done with positive results.
 Post Number: 6
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kayman @ Dec. 04 2013, 5:37 am)
One of the items in that article talks about dehydrating scrambled eggs.

I thought I'd heard that dehydrating eggs was a bad idea, that it was next to impossible to get that done with positive results.

Yikes. Yes, that is a BAD idea for at home drying!!!!

Ova Easy eggs are the safe - and tasty - way to go at it :)

Methinks I need to go read the issue at the library...lol!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They use glue for milk when photographing breakfast cereals, if that's any indication.

No, you're not doing it wrong.  I doubt anybody's recipes (when dehydrated and rehydrated) look like that.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 8
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm typically horking down a hot mess from a bag after a long day. If it tastes good, bonus points. If it tastes really good, I may slow down a bit.

Some of my favorite food is Indian food. I've poured more attractive stuff out of diapers.

Looks schmooks.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 9
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, I just looked at the article on Zinio. STAGED. I could be wrong but ... yeah. Those bell peppers are not dehydrated ;-) The beans are canned and not dried yet.

And the eggs. Please do NOT dry eggs at home!!!! And to look that good, one has to prepare the gravy separately, then pour on.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What month and year issue?

Okay, jan 2014, downloading to my iPad now. But, you know, from the photo I did get to see? I wonder if the "tip" in the text includes dumping in some peanuts and some fresh chopped green peppers to add some extra "crunch"?

ETA: apparently not. But that actually sounds like something I might try....
 Post Number: 11
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'd eat fresh bell peppers - I LOVE 'em on food :) Crunchy, sweet and juicy!

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Dec. 04 2013, 8:55 pm)
Yeah, I'd eat fresh bell peppers - I LOVE 'em on food :) Crunchy, sweet and juicy!

Cause sure right? There's no "law" the entire dish has to be dried?

:)
 Post Number: 13
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exactly :)

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't green peppers have a lot of vitamin C?
 Post Number: 15
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes! And that is one grey area where fresh or frozen is better than dried.....

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do think that while looks are not paramount, it can make food more appealing, especially if you are acclimating to altitude, but more important, I think that texture is important. For three days, I can eat mush, but adding nuts, crackers, fresh produce, foraged greens or wild mushrooms can help make the meals more interesting on longer hikes.

A lot of commercial photography of food may look delicious, but is rarely made of what you think it is. Ice melts, whipped cream goes flat, the slightest amount of grease can cause glare or an oil sheen when captured under the lights of a photo studio.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 17
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm typically horking down a hot mess from a bag after a long day.

You kill me!!

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
16 replies since Nov. 30 2013, 11:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacker Magazine Article Question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions