2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dehydrating breakfast, Eggs & veggies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 8:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I've been thinking about breakfasts lately. I am a big breakfast eater... can't tell you the last time I didn't eat breakfast (months at least). Typically I'll have some form of eggs, rotating between omelette, over easy, soft-boiled etc. In any case I typically have 3 eggs nearly every morning. I like to get my protein and fats in my system early to fuel my day. If I'm doing an intense workout week, I may have 4, or if I'm taking a rest week, I might back down to 2 per day.

I tend to want eggs backpacking too - so far I typically use Mountain House scrambled eggs with ham and peppers. But if I had it my way I'd do it differently. I don't really care for ham, and would like a ton more veggies, like how I make my omelettes. Variety of bell peppers (green, orange, red, etc), some kind of hot pepper (any will do, jalapeno, hungarian wax, etc), diced tomatoes, onions, olives...

Got me thinking if I could make my own. I've seen lots of talk here about dehydrating stuff yourself, or assembling your own from dehydrated ingredients, but when it comes to hiking I've always just used MH. I have a dehydrator too, well its a super cheap one, but it makes jerky and dried fruit just fine but I've never been more adventurous than that. Can you effectively dehydrate eggs at home? Seems to me like that wouldnt work but IDK. Then I searched amazon and found lots of dried egg options... was thinking maybe something like this would be good for a base: http://www.amazon.com/gp....JKY6FQB I inferred from the comments 1 pouch is a dozen eggs, so that would get me 4 good breakfasts on the trail assuming they would keep once opened for the remainder of the trip. And I see where you can buy dehydrated bell peppers, and such. But can one dehydrate their own peppers, onions, tomatoes, and olives? Just dice em and put em in dehydrator or?

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sticks Search for posts by this member.
Mr. Obvious

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know of no one that dehydrates eggs at home and I don't recommend trying.  This issue of the magazine has an article that said something about someone doing it but I feel that was a serious editing error on the mag's part.  

Just buy the powdered eggs. Don't even try to DIY.
 Post Number: 3
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ova Easy eggs are the best out there - and they keep just fine once opened.

As for drying, all the veggies are easy - but I will say Harmony House Foods makes some of the best dried veggies out there (and are sold on Amazon as well if it matters) - their website is easy to use.

PS: Also see Minimus. biz if you like hot sauce packets....

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This discussion is right up my alley.  I'm a vegetarian but it doesn't stop me from wanting fresh eggs when I'm out on a backpacking trip.  On one recent 18 day trip I brought 18 fresh eggs, and here are the first dozen in a Lock & Lock box---

The problem with fresh eggs is they can freeze solid in the winter, making prep a hassle.  I also brought out a couple bags of OvaEasy eggs as mentioned---and they are excellent.

Just have a very nonstick skillet and all is well.

It helps to have a big enough dehydrator which makes food prep easier.  Here is my TSM 5 tray showing a silicone sheet for soups, etc.  I like to dry cooked spinach and sliced tomatoes.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies, looks like I found a decent solution with the Ova Easy then Sarbar. And I saw those Harmony House dried veggies on Amazon along with a couple other brands Mother Earth and Berry Farms (locally made here in Ohio). HH had a large sampler pack too, which might be perfect, but at like $50 it just got me thinking of DIY. Especially since I only take 1-3 backpacking trips a year, I can make just what I need.

Tipi - I wouldn’t mind bringing fresh eggs along the trail if I had the space and wasn’t trying to be lightweight. I've not hiked below freezing so that’s not an issue, but I've heard natural eggs (unwashed) don't need refrigeration, and I often get fresh eggs from the neighbors chickens so was planning on trying them on a shorter trip. I'm impressed though you hauled those on an 18 day trip. I'm planning a 10-12 day trip and just don’t see how people deal with all that bulk, and planning on making two resupply points so I wouldn’t have to carry more than 5-6 days food at the most. But also realize I like around 3 eggs for breakfast if I can, so that adds up the longer the trip. I think for two hot breakfasts I might try the fresh eggs some time, but for more than 6 eggs I'd switch to dehydrated I think.

I also don't have nearly as nice of a dehydrator. Mine is a small round 4 or 5 tray one, just on/off. I don’t think they make silicone things for it since its round but I've never really looked. I've tried dehydrating liquidy stuff on wax paper cut into circles, but it seemed to really stick to the paper. But it works fine for jerky and most fruits, so I don’t see why it wouldn't work for diced up peppers and the like?

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two resupplies for a 12 day trip?  This sounds excessive.  You could easily do a 12 day trip on one food load, and even carry two dozen fresh eggs if you want.  Why not?

You will need a bigger pack of course and not mind hauling the weight.  It's the "price of freedom", at least I feel more free on the first day of a 20 day backpacking trip even with an 85 lb pack on my pack.  Of course I like to take books and a lot of food.

This is a typical 20 day load which is easy enough if I go slow and enjoy the woods---but not basecamping!! I like to pack and move everyday and do a grand trail adventure.  Occasionally I have to do a "short" 12 day trip and the food load seems small in comparison.

Point is---I don't like doing resupplies because I want to stay in the woods for the duration and not deal with roads and civilians and folding money and commerce and all the rest.

--------------

Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On short hikes (1-3 nights), I've been taking hard-boiled eggs.  For about the same weight, I like them much better than jerky.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Dec. 17 2013, 4:04 pm)
On short hikes (1-3 nights), I've been taking hard-boiled eggs.  For about the same weight, I like them much better than jerky.

For a winter trip you can scramble up a dozen eggs at one time at home and place in a ziploc and freeze.  Take these frozen eggs out for the trip and not worry about rot, etc.  Plus, I like eggs with mayonnaise---you can see a dollop of the stuff in my egg pic.  Eggless mayo, of course.  I take 16 ozs of mayo for a usual long trip and the stuff lasts even in the summer.  I think it's called Vegenaise.

--------------

Post Number: 9
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eggs can carry well - farm fresh are best - don't wash the shells. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Dec. 17 2013, 12:17 pm)
Two resupplies for a 12 day trip?  This sounds excessive.  You could easily do a 12 day trip on one food load, and even carry two dozen fresh eggs if you want.  Why not?

You will need a bigger pack of course and not mind hauling the weight.  It's the "price of freedom", at least I feel more free on the first day of a 20 day backpacking trip even with an 85 lb pack on my pack.  Of course I like to take books and a lot of food.

You da man, Tipi. Well I probably could do 10-12 days without ressuply, and I usually wouldnt make a trip into town if I didnt need to but the trail passes right through one town by the post office, and other places that will hold supplies, so figure I'd utilize them. Another town, into the other half of the trip, is 1.5mi from the trailhead, and I was debating whether to skip that one, but really dont want to carry so much food (or fuel) and would like a chance to get rid of trash and maybe even wash clothes, have a nice meal, etc. Might be a good stepping stone for me to go from my usual 3 day trip to a 12 day to have a couple resupply. Then maybe next time do it unsupported. I have one big pack (Kelty Super Tioga) but dont like using it if I dont have too, well maybe if I replaced the hip belt since its become uncomfortable. My longest trip ever has been 5 days so this is kind of new territory for me. And most of my trips require a bear cannister (to which I have the BV450) however this long trip will not (and I probably couldnt even squeeze half that number of days in there anyhow). I also have nothing to cook an egg on currently other than boiling it - I mean I dont have any fry pans or pots, especially non stick, just a kettle for boiling water.

50# is about the heaviest I've felt comfortable hauling over not too steep of a trip, but I think 85# would tip me over, I'm not too big of a guy (that would be well over half of my body weight). But perhaps on these easier (flatter) long distance hikes I shouldn't be as concerned with small size and weight as I am my peak bagging rock scramblin trips. I think we are starting to go a bit off topic though.

(TigerFan @ Dec. 17 2013, 4:04 pm)

Hard boiled eggs better than jerky? Blasphemy!  :D

Sarbar - is there any trick to things like peppers if I try it? Just put em in until they look dry? Can they get over done? What about olives? Does the high amount of oils prevent their dehydration?

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personally, I can't justify the weight of fresh eggs, but if you're determined here are a couple tips.

Buy eggs that have never been refrigerated - fresher the better

Coat them with Vaseline
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The main challenge with fresh eggs is not spoilage but cracking---hairline cracks too.  Somebody mentioned wrapping each egg in a paper towel and filling up a wide mouth nalgene liter bottle.  Then there are the usual walmart plastic egg containers and/or the Lock & Lock things.  With enough jostling eggs will crack so to me it's gotta be about Handling with Care.

--------------

Post Number: 13
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In moderate temps, I've carried hard-boiled eggs for 3-4 days without any spoilage issues.  I leave them in the shell, inside a tupperware bowl (my eating dish/bowl).

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 14
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ova easy is the next best thing to fresh eggs, without the hassle.
 Post Number: 15
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dry sliced loves: drain can ands spread out. Use up in 6 months for best shape.

As for peppers, blanch a bit, the dice up and dry. Frozen pepper strips work great - dry from frozen.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

but the trail passes right through one town by the post office, and other places that will hold supplies, so figure I'd utilize them. Another town, into the other half of the trip, is 1.5mi from the trailhead, and I was debating whether to skip that one, but really dont want to carry so much food (or fuel) and would like a chance to get rid of trash and maybe even wash clothes, have a nice meal, etc

Sounds like the Northville Placid Trail......I have done a little over half in segments, finishing up this summer.  Sounds like you have the right plan

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Dec. 18 2013, 6:06 pm)
I dry sliced loves: drain can ands spread out. Use up in 6 months for best shape.

As for peppers, blanch a bit, the dice up and dry. Frozen pepper strips work great - dry from frozen.

You dry sliced loves?  I've had a few girlfriends in the past but I never tried to slice them or dry them or even drain their "cans".  Thanks for the update.

--------------

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You dry sliced loves?  I've had a few girlfriends in the past but I never tried to slice them or dry them

much easier to carry....and no complaining about the blackflies

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Dec. 19 2013, 8:18 am)
Sounds like the Northville Placid Trail......I have done a little over half in segments, finishing up this summer.  Sounds like you have the right plan

You got me. Been toying with the idea of thru-hiking it this summer/fall, and 130 miles or whatever really got me thinking about a good plan of attack. The longest mileage I have done has probably been a few trips in the 30-40 mile range so this is unfamiliar territory for me in a few ways. However all those 30-40 milers were over mountains, so the NPT should be a bit easier going. I know some do it in a week or less too, but I'm unsure of my abilities and dont like to rush anyhow. I plan on bringing my dSLR and tripod and trying to setup some nice memories, not beat any record.

But the dehydrated breakfast questions I'll apply to most of my trips, just this particular one I'm planning for next summer/fall really got me thinking, both in weight/space concerns, but also in dollars, since those mountain houses add up quick! And I love DIY if I can. Heck might even start doing dehydrated stuff at work. Havent even thought about re-doing my dinners yet but think I have some good ideas for breakfast and lunch. I'm sure I'll have some dinner questions after I do some more research and get some ideas started.

wcolucci - good luck finishing up yours! I'd have done it in segments as well for starters, but I have a couple two week breaks in my work schedule so the thought of a thru-hike started sounding like a nice idea.  

(sarbar @ Dec. 18 2013, 6:06 pm)

Thanks I'll give it a shot and try making a batch to experiment at home with first. Blanch em in chunks before dicing? And for what, like 30 sec or a minute in boiling water?

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dont like to rush anyhow. I plan on bringing my dSLR and tripod and trying to setup some nice memories, not beat any record.

yup. bring a calendar, not a stopwatch.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
slowly walking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last summer I successfully dehydrated and used scrambled eggs several times using the method Glenn McAllister developed in his book Recipes for Adventure.  His technique mixes the scrambled eggs with polenta then bakes it.  Once it is cooked, you break it up into small, maybe pea-sized pieces.  Dehydrate at 145.  I've since used matzo meal instead of polenta and prefer the flavor.

I have no stake in Mr. McAllister's book, but I highly recommend it  He's got great photos of before and after shots of how the food should look.  The book is 8.5 x 11, so the full-color photos are large enough to really see things.  His recipes have two serving sizes and he has worksheets to figure out how much fresh food to buy to produce a certain quantity of dried.  I appreciate the work he put into this book, so I don't have to.
 Post Number: 22
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another lover of Ova Easy eggs here. Antoher thing my wife and I have done for short overnighters is to freeze eggs that have been take out of the shell and placed in a ziploc bag. Then pack well in a small lunch bag type cooler and have a cooler pack with it.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well, based on all the raves here I bought a couple bags of Ova's direct from the manufacturers website.  they got here in two days a few days before Christmas...(obviously NOT UPS).

Can't wait to try and I'll probably try some at home first.

Couple ?'s if I may hijack here:

Once opened how long are they good for?

Has anyone cooked them similar to the boil an an omelet in a plastic bag method?  I do not want to have to carry a frying pan...but if I can add some cheese and dried veggies, I'd love to boil an omelet...

Thanks

p.s:  Adirondacketeer...check out the ADirondack Forums...they have a pretty good NPT sub section in their Hiking section.

I'll post a few links in the Eastern Section if you would like that will give you some good data about the trail...and of course, tho I am no expert, pm me if you have any questions or need anything

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I may be wrong, but if my memory holds right, they are good for a year. Please correct me if I am wrong though!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you very much Sarbar...my extensive googling says you are correct.

Ever try them??  Ever try the cook them in a bag trick?

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll probably be ordering some soon myself but no rush I probably wont be doing any hikes until at least May. Curious what the equivalent is though (how much = 1 egg) and the weight, so need to get some to experiment.

Do they have freeze dried /dehydrated cheese? I really havent checked. I'm not too worried about cheese, though at home I always include some in my omelets. If I can get something similar to the mountain house scrambled eggs ham and peppers, but with more veggies (and dont need the ham), I'll be happy.

(wcolucci @ Jan. 02 2014, 8:11 am)
p.s:  Adirondacketeer...check out the ADirondack Forums...they have a pretty good NPT sub section in their Hiking section.

Yes, I actually already have started a thread or two on there weeks ago, and I've been reading back of others posts pretty far too, and also on the adk high peaks forum.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can get the freeze-dried cheese but it is lacking in texture. Better to carry a small block of the real stuff and cut as needed :)

--------------
 Post Number: 28
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2014, 1:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Someone test the OvaEasy stuff with a freezer bag scramble.  Eldest Son really likes eggs, and I serve him MH scrambles for dinner (it's hard to find trail dinners he'll eat), but would love better taste and lower price.  Also ability to make our own mix-ins.  But I'm not carrying and messing with a frying pan.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2014, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll give it a shot tonight if no reports back by eob today.

One pack is equal to a dozen eggs

lot of good scoop on their website

http://www.nutriom.com/#long-term-shelf-life

As I said before, I bought direct  shipping was free.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2014, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, awaiting with great interest the freezer bag test.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
43 replies since Dec. 16 2013, 8:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dehydrating breakfast
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions