2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Instant Coffee, good alternative to Starbucks VIA< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 3:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those that like VIA (or don't I guess) another option you might want to look into... Coffee Review: VIA vs Taster's Choice

VIA is convenient since it is single serve packed - but I never knew there were other similar options until I read that article. I also never liked any of the darker roast VIA's I tried, just tasted too burnt and bitter to me. The lighter roast Veranda one was alright. I'd been taking them to work too, since all we have at work is crappy Sodexo coffee. But man they are expensive. I think I am going to give the Taster's choice packets a shot (and perhaps jar for work).

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Taster's Choice/Nescafe has been a staple for a long time.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My grandparents didn't drink coffee, but knew that my father did.  They kept a jar of Sanka in the house for when we visited.  He always politely drank it, knowing full well how awful it was.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find most instant coffees, including tasters choice, fairly convincing imitations of roasted grain.  Maybe I like the "burnt" flavor everyone complains about with Starbucks, because in fact I like their coffee.  I am much more likely to complain of insipid drinks than ones that are too strong.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Trader Joes makes an instant (sold in bottles, not individual packets) that is surprisingly good.  I actually suspect them of using Starbucks, or stealing their formula.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

a few weeks ago i was hikeing in harriman state park with some friends and a group of korean hikers gave me some coffee packetts that had the surger and cream already in the pack with the coffee, if i could read the name of it i would tell you. it was good. and i like the idea of not haveing to carry creamer and suger separate.
 Post Number: 7
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Solo, TJs does one like that , too.  I haven't tried it, since I don't take sugar in my coffee (and I hate fake cream--I use milk powder).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh, cool. i'm going to check that out. ty
 Post Number: 9
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2014, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solowalker @ Jan. 15 2014, 6:57 pm)
a few weeks ago i was hikeing in harriman state park with some friends and a group of korean hikers gave me some coffee packetts that had the surger and cream already in the pack with the coffee, if i could read the name of it i would tell you. it was good. and i like the idea of not haveing to carry creamer and suger separate.

Usually called 3 in 1 and available from Asian markets. Best is probably Trung Nguyen brand (from Vietnamese markets).

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 10
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2014, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At the train station in Lao Cai, where the buses pick up and let off going up to Sapa in the NW mountains of Vietnam, I saw a woman selling packets of 3 in 1 with a paper cup and she had a thermos of hot water. Nice.

Sapa, Hanoi: http://ckjournal.blogspot.com/2013/11/sapa-hanoi-2013.html

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2014, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 15 2014, 9:21 am)
My grandparents didn't drink coffee, but knew that my father did.  They kept a jar of Sanka in the house for when we visited.  He always politely drank it, knowing full well how awful it was.

When I was young dad drank instant. They didn't even get a drip coffee maker until I was in college. So thats what I started with too. But yeah it was usually just maxwell house, sanka, folgers, basicaly the worse stuff out there. More recently I got a jar of Taster's Choice Suave, and was surprised how well it tasted. Sure I could still tell it was instant but it was much better. If their Columbian scored substantially higher yet, I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

The other big thing to take away here is that its available in the single serve packs which might make it more convenient for backpacking. Although I think I read a larger cup of coffee might take two of their packs.

I only drink coffee black, y'all are on your own with the extras lol.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2014, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, Medaglia D'Oro's good. But honestly, it's not so much work to have a nice hot cup of real coffee.

Until recently, having introduced Kim to BPing, my trips often involved (and will again, soon) hiking to a place, setting up, sleeping the night, bag a peak, stay the night and go home. Usually, it's not getting to the base site that's a hump, it's the next day's work.

As such, I'm really starting to reconsider how I pack in to a shelter (lean-to.) Koreans bring everything, often the kitchen sink, and really enjoy relaxing in the woods. If I'm going to be using the shelter, I can leave the tent at home (bringing a tarp as a backup) and have all that extra space and weight saved for more good stuff.

Yeah, I'm gonna start living easier out there. It's a vacation for pete's sake!

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 14
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2014, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Medaglia + hot chocolate mix = trash mocha. Works for me.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 15
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Melitta plastic cone with paper filter and regular ground coffee. Heat water, pour through cone and filter. A cup of regular coffee in the time it takes for the steeped coffee to come through the filter. Virtually instant.

The trick to not making bitter coffee is to not use boiling water which can leach out the bitter oils. If you wait about 10 seconds after the water comes to a boil to pour it on the coffee, the temp will be just right.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 16
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've tried the Via and Taster Choice packets, but went back to the old Folgers singles in a foil wrapped "tea bag".
This week, I found plain Folgers singles in a packet, too. Haven't tried them yet, but they were 7 for $1 at Wal-Mart.

Found them online:
http://www.folgerscoffee.com/coffees/single-serve-coffee
Hmm. Saw the decaf in the store, but there's a breakfast blend and "black silk", too...
 Post Number: 17
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 12 2014, 10:27 am)
Melitta plastic cone with paper filter and regular ground coffee. Heat water, pour through cone and filter. A cup of regular coffee in the time it takes for the steeped coffee to come through the filter. Virtually instant.

The trick to not making bitter coffee is to not use boiling water which can leach out the bitter oils. If you wait about 10 seconds after the water comes to a boil to pour it on the coffee, the temp will be just right.

+1

That how I make coffee at home everyday, too.

The plastic cone shape/size can make packing it awkward.  I like the MSR 'Coffee Mate' and also made a fabric one with a stiff wire rim (like a teeny butterfly net.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 18
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used both a small funnel and the Melitta plastic cone but I've gone to using a Tuffy Tea Steeper with a paper filter. It collapses down like the Sea to Summit bowls. That makes it more pack friendly. The holes in the tea steeper are a little too big for coffee unless you use a really coarse grind.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Feb. 12 2014, 3:19 pm)
I've used both a small funnel and the Melitta plastic cone but I've gone to using a Tuffy Tea Steeper with a paper filter. It collapses down like the Sea to Summit bowls. That makes it more pack friendly. The holes in the tea steeper are a little too big for coffee unless you use a really coarse grind.

Hmm... somebody gave me one of those and doesn't work for me with coffee at all.  When I used a paper filter, the water just sat there and didn't drip through at all.  Walls were really thick and the thing weighed a lot.  I think it got stashed with the car-camping stuff.  Did you alter it in any way?

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 20
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use this and my coffee blends of choice.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 21
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Feb. 12 2014, 8:33 pm)

(theo @ Feb. 12 2014, 3:19 pm)

Hmm... somebody gave me one of those and doesn't work for me with coffee at all.  When I used a paper filter, the water just sat there and didn't drip through at all.  Walls were really thick and the thing weighed a lot.  I think it got stashed with the car-camping stuff.  Did you alter it in any way?

I didn't alter it at all. Works as well as my Melita. I have an old travel mug I use for backpacking and it fits in it perfectly.
 Post Number: 22
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some people like steeped coffee.  Some of us don't.  It has to be poured through to work for me.  I have the mesh-net filter thing, which likes flat and weighs next to nothing.  But the wet grounds are a pain, especially in places where they really need to be packed out (and always a pain to clean, though better if I use a paper filter to line the thing).

And sometimes I just don't want the bother.  Then the Via packets are fine.  Though I have to say that after several days with those, I'm really jonesing for a really GOOD cup of joe.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2014, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Feb. 12 2014, 2:33 pm)

+1

The plastic cone shape/size can make packing it awkward.  I like the MSR 'Coffee Mate' and also made a fabric one with a stiff wire rim (like a teeny butterfly net.)

Me too, if I am going to be home all day I might make half a pot of drip, but more often than not I just make one cup with the plastic cone thingy set on my mug, and pour the hot water in manually. But the cone and packing all the grounds and having another thing to rinse and burying the grounds is all a bit of a hassle. I got a bit of heat about carrying a couple or few extra ounces in my cookset by many her lol if I added regular grounds, filter, etc to that would be even more. Yeah some have to have gourmet all the time, and I am usually that way at home though I've been known to get coffee out of the machine at work in a pinch and I can get by every now and then with that. And I can say for sure VIA (and hopefully the Nescafe) is far better than the stuff at work! Fine for me for a few days on the trail.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2014, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Adirondackiteer @ Feb. 13 2014, 12:54 pm)

(TigerFan @ Feb. 12 2014, 2:33 pm)

+1

Me too, if I am going to be home all day I might make half a pot of drip, but more often than not I just make one cup with the plastic cone thingy set on my mug, and pour the hot water in manually. But the cone and packing all the grounds and having another thing to rinse and burying the grounds is all a bit of a hassle. I got a bit of heat about carrying a couple or few extra ounces in my cookset by many her lol if I added regular grounds, filter, etc to that would be even more. Yeah some have to have gourmet all the time, and I am usually that way at home though I've been known to get coffee out of the machine at work in a pinch and I can get by every now and then with that. And I can say for sure VIA (and hopefully the Nescafe) is far better than the stuff at work! Fine for me for a few days on the trail.  :)

I'm not officially in the "UL" weight range but I've gotten my packweight down enough so that I usually don't feel like I have to fuss over a couple of ounces here and there.  My pack's going to get even lighter as I consume my food anyway.

I do pack out everything but poop.  I never bury food waste and I pack out all my toilet paper.

I don't drink the coffee at work.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 25
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2014, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Think VIA is actually powdered coffee and not freeze-dried.   Heat water and add VIA, .. you're there.   Went with VIA for awhile but going to try finely ground "turkish" blend coffee with an MSR filter soon.  Not being one of these trail-runner/adventure-racer types, think I can spare a couple minutes prep time in the AM.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 26
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2014, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 12 2014, 7:27 am)

Yep, this. I love my Melitta cone, probably one of my older food prep items. Lots of good memories attached to that silly thing. I'm boiling water for oatmeal or dinner plus cleanup so a little more to pour through the filter is okay by me.
 Post Number: 27
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Feb. 12 2014, 11:23 am)
I've tried the Via and Taster Choice packets, but went back to the old Folgers singles in a foil wrapped "tea bag".
This week, I found plain Folgers singles in a packet, too. Haven't tried them yet, but they were 7 for $1 at Wal-Mart.

Found them online:
http://www.folgerscoffee.com/coffees/single-serve-coffee
Hmm. Saw the decaf in the store, but there's a breakfast blend and "black silk", too...

I've been taking Folgers single's with me for several years now.

Actually, it's far superior to instant.

Not designer coffee, but pretty decent in it's own right....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 28
sticks Search for posts by this member.
Mr. Obvious

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a Latino favorite and beats Via IMO. Not bitter and better than any of the other instants out there. Can be found in just about any grocery store.

--------------
I am the original 'sticks' from the original forums...all others are posers. :cool:
 Post Number: 29
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2014, 7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sticks.

Rite Aid had it on sale for $4.99 and I grabbed a jar.

That stuff is INCREDIBLE.....I was a bit concerned at first as I dislike the foamy look of instant coffee but the flavor was so much better than what I expected.

YMMV but wow...this is a keeper...I even had it in place of my Sunday coffee my wife made..(just experimenting...I LOVE your coffee)...((she changed brands a few weeks ago, I don't care for it)).

Thanks for the heads up

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 30
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2014, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jan. 15 2014, 9:03 am)
Taster's Choice/Nescafe has been a staple for a long time.

+1 on these. Love the Hazelnut.
35 replies since Jan. 15 2014, 3:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Instant Coffee
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions