2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Favorite recipes, looking for new ideas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jeffDVM Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 11:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a couple of books, read a little on the web, and have some old time favorites, but I am looking for new things.

I enjoy cooking, ate enough ramen while in school to last a life time, and typically am only out 1 to 3 nights, though longer trips are possible.  

So, what are some favorites?  Quick meals?  Involved, "real meals?". Off the beaten track type meals or ingredients?

Ramen and couscous have to be pretty exotic before I really enjoy them much anymore.  I did just discover quinoa, and really like it.  I don't mind the extra fuel on these short hikes for longer cooking sessions.  Never been big on tofu, but I will try anything that sounds interesting.  I also hike with someone that is allergic to soy, so when she is along, I can't use it.

Thanks for the ideas.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Search out Hungry Hammock Hanger's recipes on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ptRok5s2Us

This is just one of his good ones.  He has several recipes worth a look.  Beef stew, SW Chicken, burritos, tuna casserole, hungarian beef.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.  I will.  Having a soy allergic wife is challenging with using prepackaged foods for backpacking.
 Post Number: 4
ambrose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A Backpacking Breakfast Favorite:

Grits n Eggs for 2

3/4 cup of grits
18 to 20 oz of water for the grits
1 serving of deyhdrated scrambled eggs
1 cup water for the eggs

I put the grits n eggs in the pot, add water, let soak for 5 minutes then bring to a boil in a covered pot, stir, cut the flame, let sit covered for another 5, eat out of the pot.

We typically package the meal in a quart zip lock baggie n write the water qty on the bag. We use eggs with bacon bits.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ambrose @ Jan. 18 2014, 4:13 pm)
A Backpacking Breakfast Favorite:

Grits n Eggs for 2

3/4 cup of grits
18 to 20 oz of water for the grits
1 serving of deyhdrated scrambled eggs
1 cup water for the eggs

I put the grits n eggs in the pot, add water, let soak for 5 minutes then bring to a boil in a covered pot, stir, cut the flame, let sit covered for another 5, eat out of the pot.

We typically package the meal in a quart zip lock baggie n write the water qty on the bag. We use eggs with bacon bits.

What type of grits do you use?  I assume ova easy will work well for the eggs?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 18 2014, 6:09 pm)
What type of grits do you use?  I assume ova easy will work well for the eggs?

We use Quaker Oats grits. Over easy eggs work real well. Add in some bulk bought powder cheese, with a little extra water for an added kick.
 Post Number: 7
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With Grits, you can find instant ones, sold next to the instant oatmeal, by Quaker. All they need is boiling water added.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are there favorite bulk foods places for things like powdered cheese or eggs?  The ingredients rather than the meals.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 19 2014, 8:50 am)
Are there favorite bulk foods places for things like powdered cheese or eggs?  The ingredients rather than the meals.

Winco and Amazon.com
 Post Number: 10
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Emergency Essentials (Be Prepared), they carry pretty everything you could want in large cans. Also, Costco now carries quite a bit online:
http://www.costco.com/all-emergency-food.html

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A hot recovery drink we like:

1 spoon of chicken or beef soup base, to taste
1 spoon of veggie soup base
A handful of instant rice
1 quart of water
A dash or 2 of Nu Salt

Mix all ingredients together in a pot, bring pot to boil. Enjoy.

The soup base quantity are to taste.
We, sometimes, add in some dried shrimp we buy from a local Oriental market.
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Barilla tortellini is already cooked and dried.  You can rehydrate it in 10-15 minutes in a freezer bag.  Drain the excess water and add pesto and parmesan.

Since you like grits, get some brown gravy mix and some dried peppers, onion, and shrimp.  Make shrimp and grits.

Instant potatoes are a great starter for lots of dishes.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

pizza in a pot - sundried tomato cous cous (I couldn't find this flavor last time I looked, though, so you can use parmesan), sundried tomatos, turkey pepperoni, and string cheese - you can also add some dehydrated veggies

trail Thanksgiving - chicken in a foil pouch, dried cranberries, and stove top stuffing

Trader Joes also makes good tortellinis

chicken in a pouch combined with mayo and relish (or dried cranberries) and put in a pita

Blueberry mini bagels and Justin's almond butter in a pouch

Trader Joe's Spicy Spinach pizza - it's not traditional pizza with cheese, more like flavorful flatbread, and it's very tasty.  If you vacuum seal them they will last several days.  You can heat it in a pan, on a hot rock, or eat them cold.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
12 replies since Jan. 18 2014, 11:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Favorite recipes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions