2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dehydrated Favourites?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Strongbow26 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 11:11 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just wondering if anyone has discovered any 'great' (ok palatable) dehydrated meals by brands like Mountain House, Backpacker's Pantry, Alpine Aire etc. Or any ones to steer clear of.

thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nowadays, I usually stick with Mary Jane's Farm and Packit Gourmet.  Definitely a step up from Mountain House and the others.
 Post Number: 3
ambrose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2014, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Mtn House scrambled eggs with other items for breakfast.

For dinner, one Mtn House item we like is the Chicken Ala King.

We tried a few low salt meals and found them to be blah.
 Post Number: 4
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2014, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I steer clear of all of them. Won't touch 'em. Dehydrating my own is cheaper and healthier.

Pack It Gourmet being the exception - they have an excellent menu.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't care for them myself, but the boys love the MH lasagne, and I'll confess that licking out the package isn't repulsive.  Not sure I'd want a whole meal's worth, but I'm fussy, not to mention cheap, so I'll stick with my FBC meals from home.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cook and Dehydrate my own meals at home..healthier, cheaper, tastes better and more fun!!

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've only had a few of the packaged dishes from PackIt Gourmet but the Tortilla Soup was good.  I usually just buy ingredients from them.  They're an excellent company, imo.

We still like Mountain House's lasagna.

I've read quite a few raves about Hawk's Vittles.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jan. 28 2014, 8:32 am)
I've read quite a few raves about Hawk's Vittles.

+1

I personally know Hawk, and it's the only stuff I buy. I try to save my stash for hiking/camping, but it's so good that I've been known to raid it when I'm home and don't feel like making dinner. We're gonna purchase a large order soon and use it for emergency rations.

Of the selections, I personally like the Moroccan Stew the best.

PS - Another benefit of ordering from Hawk... he can make custom orders. I'm allergic to cheese, so he makes all my stuff w/o cheese. He has also made some of my meals with extra calorie-dense ingredients for my longer hikes.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only eat my own dehydrated homemade meals, but I will also use PackIt Gourmet's individual items to round things out.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 10
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 6:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Packit Gourmet and Enertia Trail Foods. (Some of Enertia's meals are now sold as Coleman.)

Almost all of the Enertias are vegetarian, and my son, who is my most frequent hiking partner, is vegetarian, so that works well.

I don't get out as often as some posters here, so the expense of purchasing meals (vs home dehydrating, etc), is not that big a deal, even though I'm generally budget-conscious.

Also, I'm a pretty accomplished cook and I eat very well at home. So I really don't feel the need to cook (beyond boiling water) or fuss too much over food on the trail. Most of my hikes are at high elevation and I actually kindof have to force myself to eat dinner the first few days due to lack of appetite.
 Post Number: 11
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pack It Gourmets Tortilla Soup and MH Beef Stroganoff are two of our favorites. Otherwise we make a lot of our own and do FBC meals
 Post Number: 12
dnoll Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I have always made our meals, however, in March we are going to Patagonia and have heard that their customs can be picky. So we are bring dinners from Packit Gourmet and Hawks Vittles. We will still make our breakfasts figuring that if they are taken it won't be  hard to find oatmeal etc. I'm curious to see how they taste.
11 replies since Jan. 24 2014, 11:11 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dehydrated Favourites?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions