2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: scalloped potatoes, food< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Idaho Bob Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 12:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anybody have a good backpacking recipe for scalloped potatoes made from dried potatoes?  I was thinking of a one pot meal with ham chunks, maybe baked in the Outback Oven to get a nice browned crust on the potatoes.  I had some made from dried potato slices at home, baked in the oven, using milk and cheese, and it was delicious.

Maybe use dried milk, dried cheese, dried onions and potato slices.  Maybe presoak the potatoes to speed things up when cooking on a backpack.

I'll do some testing.

Bob
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do a "quick" version of scalloped potatoes at home on the stove top.  I brown well seasoned thinly sliced potatoes, and then cover with milk and put a lid on it to simmer on low until the spuds are tender and the milk is mostly absorbed.  Then I stir in a big handful of cheese and some fresh parsley.  I think the same method would work with rehydrated dried potato slices and powdered milk.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2014, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not just use a boxed type of scalloped potatoes? Those are dried. As I took as I took it that you were going to use dried mashed type.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2014, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was going to use some dried potato slices they well in bulk, but I could experiment with the mix in a box also.  I just want it to be delicious.  Maybe some bacon would go well with it, and would not require refrigeration.
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2014, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Idaho Bob @ Jan. 30 2014, 5:13 pm)
I was going to use some dried potato slices they well in bulk, but I could experiment with the mix in a box also.  I just want it to be delicious.  Maybe some bacon would go well with it, and would not require refrigeration.

You can NEVER go wrong Bacon!
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2014, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sliced but grated.
Costco dried hashbrowns. Come in a large container or "single serve" packages (which actually make enough for 2).
Directions say soak in hot water for several minutes (12?) but I've found that just putting them in the measured water in a pan and cooking from there works very well and in less time. Add some dried onions, dried sliced garlic, some cheese, maybe the ham or bacon mentioned.

If you really want sliced/diced instead...
http://shop.honeyville.com/dehydrated-potato-dices.html

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2014, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Jan. 30 2014, 10:09 am)
Why not just use a boxed type of scalloped potatoes? Those are dried. As I took as I took it that you were going to use dried mashed type.

I've been running thru the many types and brands of scalloped potatoes and have yet found one that tastes decent in a one pot meal. I don't eat them at home and recently tested half the box cooked in the oven per the directions and half in the pot. Still nasty, though the oven cooked half was slightly better.  Really, how do people eat this stuff?

I'm thinking Ponderosa's way may be the best. I'm going to explore that, though I really was looking for something that tasted good AND wouldn't go bad. There might not be such an animal, but then I hate boxed mac & cheese, too.  :)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried the new simmer ring on the Caldera cone with an Outback Oven: didn't get hot enough to boil the water.

I tried adding boiling water first, then using the simmer ring on the Caldera Cone plus the Outback Oven: too a long time to cook. I finally removed the Outback oven, and just used the simmer ring on the Caldera Cone.  That finished cooking them, but burned a bit on the bottom of the pan.

I have a plan for what to try next.  Scalloped potatoes are just so good it would be worth it to figure out a way to cook them.  The trick is the water has to boil, and they have to be on the heat at a near boil for 20-25 minutes, but yet not burn.  Still working on it.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2014, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got the scalloped potatoes to work on my Caldera Cone alcohol stove.  The problem is that the potatoes have to be in boiling (or hot) water for a long time, and if an open flame hits the underside of the pot, its not long before you have the potatoes and cheese sauce scorching.  So here is what I did:

bring water to a boil, put water on dried potatoes, put pot in cozy.  That keeps it good and hot for a long time, all the while it is rehydrating.  After 15 minutes, I put the pot back on the stove, and brought it up to boiling again (or close to boiling).  Then I put the scorchbuster on the cone/stove combination, so the flame didn't directly hit the pot, but it added enough heat to finish cooling.  Total cook time, a little over 30 minutes, and worth the wait.  I used a box recipe in which the cheese sauce was a little runny.  The scorch buster is pretty much a tin can lid that blocks the flame from the bottom of the pot.  

The result is that the flame is not touching the bottom of the pot for very long, but the potatoes get cooked and rehydrated.  It was pretty good.  I'll try it on a desert hike over spring break.  I found some shelf stable bacon also!
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got the technique perfected for scalloped potatoes.  I used the Caldera Cone setup, with their simmer ring on the stove after the initial boil.  I added freeze dried asparagus pieces, and cooked bacon (precooked, room temp stable, by Hormel) cut into pieces.  It was a hit!
 Post Number: 11
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2014, 1:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scalloped potatoes are a mainstay in my BC diet and they're so easy to make FBC style, that it's sinful.

I dehydrate store brand, hash brown threads, straight out of the bag. Make a sauce of your choice, cheddar, Alfredo, etc. and throw in whatever else suits your fancy. Bacon bits, ham,etc.

No cooking required . Add boiling H2O and let sit.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
10 replies since Jan. 29 2014, 12:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply scalloped potatoes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions