2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: No cook dinner, favorite< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014, 2:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am sure this has been posted a gazillion times, but i am reposting because maybe there are some new ideas and I am too lazy to search the past, lol. Throw some ideas at me for some easy, no cook dinners. Right now I am leaning on a chicken ceaser salad, But I am entertaining some other ideas if you got em. Thanks...
:p

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of cold salads, some starting with couscous which will rehydrate just fine with cold water.  Start by looking at these 2 sites, by members of this community and also very active with the Long Distance crowd.  

For me, I like tuna salad with crackers or sandwich thins.  Or, just a mix of munchables I carry for snacks and lunches.

http://www.onepanwonders.com

http://www.trailcooking.com

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches  :D

Something that I like is a cheese tortilla. At home: take a tortilla, put your favorite cheese on it, top it with another tortilla, and zap in the microwave until the cheese melts. Or you can heat it up in a skillet. When it cools, cut it up, sort of like a quesadilla. Wrap it up and take it with you. If you can find packets of salsa (Taco Bell or somewhere), put the salsa on the cheesy tortilla when you are ready to eat it.

I don't like cooking when I am backpacking. I try to keep the food stuff simple and easy, and I sure don't want to spend my time cleaning up dirty pots.

Packit Gormet has some delicious food, though, and if I want to take along something quick and easy, I LOVE their Black Bean and Corn Salad. It can be eaten hot or cold. This stuff is good!

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2014, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cheese tortilla sounds good, lol. I happen to have several packets of different salsa from packit gourmet laying around also...

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lot of good choices. As mentioned couscous hydrates quickly because of its small size, but also like black bean, other mixes if willing to wait a little longer. Just have them in a zip lock baggie. Extra long spoons (GSI) help keep your fingers clean when dipping for the food.

Also, "Just Veggies" are fab. See

http://www.rei.com/product....wcid%7D

Dried tomatoes are a personal fav, their texture and chewiness a healthy replacement for my (ex) licorice cravings.

One other trail treat: raw ginger.

For first night or two I like string cheese (keep in center of pack, away from direct sunlight), "mini bon bon" cheeses (wax covered small cheeses) and bagels.

Coffee? Caffine pills do the trick.
 Post Number: 6
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like instant hummus (rehydrates fine with cold water) on a wrap or flat bread with some crumbled feta and maybe some summer sausage or salmon from a foil pouch.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
5 replies since Feb. 28 2014, 2:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply No cook dinner
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions